Become a Patron!

Best items to use when making box mods (battery trays, switches, 510, etc...)

Vic's Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Keystone electronics is the manufacturer

Whats the best wire to use on a hammond 1590b enclosure im going to use 16 gage and would like to know if solid copper or multi stranded whats peoples opinion on this

Resnik

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have noticed that when using stranded wire once it's soldered it loses it's flexibility. After a few bends say when installing into a box it will start to break at the point it was soldered. Last time I went with 18 gauge half way through and it was much easier to deal with then the 18 gauge stranded I started with. Next time I'm going 16 gauge solid through out. Easier then dealing with 12 and 14 and looks nicer then the small 18 gauge.

Switches: I think I like the E-switch brand. They seem to be made rather well and not so hard on the wallet. I also am an electrician by trade and we use E-Switch a lot on assembly lines, in high use areas.

Sleds: Keystone brand, 1048. I just ordered 10 sleds from fasttech though, just to try them out. Once they come in I'll give a report on quality. 13 bucks and change for 10 sleds was a steal though if they work well.
This is the one from fasttech. It is a lot like the 1048 and same issues from what I've read. First thing is you need to bend the tip of the contact where it meets the battery in so it does not catch the heat shrink on your battery when pulling it out ... Same as the keystone 1048.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1279300

Boxes: 1590g, for size it's the best to fit in the hand. 1590b Large, but can hold a lot of stuff and still relatively easy to hold.

I picked up this one last time I made an order through Mouser and I'll be box moding it too. It's almost identical to a 1590g, but it's abs plastic. The only issue I can find with it is it has a double seal on the edge where the lid meets the box. It can be cut off though. Dremel works wonders on unneeded stuffs.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...SBKvirtualkey54600000virtualkey546-1591XXASBK

510's At first I got a Varitube 510 cause they were a bit cheaper then FDV. About a week after using on the Varitube 510 melted at the delrin letting the center pin drop out. So FDV all the way now. Compairing the two side by side the FDV is much heftier and better made. Also when locking it down onto a box it seemed easier to tighten down.

eb870d5f6b0c571c98ae413136803c4a.jpg
05188850942c6269cd3ffe83a9662dd3.jpg

Let me know if you want a parts list... Everything is digikey aside from the fat daddy Vape 510...
i would like a part/tools list of what you used so i can get started

Vic's Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Absorbs the amp load... This way you can Vape at 75amps and use a push button switch that is rated at only 2 amps

Resnik

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bingo. What they said. Basically you can buy a 2 dollar mosfet and a 2 dollar switch instead of a 80 dollar 75 amp rated switch that's HUGE.

vince159

Unlisted Vendor
Hey guys. I'm building some mods using the FT enclosures, and I've been searching for some good 10mm switches, with no luck. Anyone know where some can be found?

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Absorbs the amp load... This way you can Vape at 75amps and use a push button switch that is rated at only 2 amps
yup yup...a MOSFET is a solid state "relay or light switch or valve" takes a very small amount of current to flip the switch/open the valve and allow HUGE amounts of current to flow thru it

A10EN

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I prefer solid wire, easy to bend and get looking good.

Lung Punch Vape LLC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi, just want to clear up few things bout PCB boards. Their not $90, the T10 60W is for the B box is $64. PCB's are four wire hook up complete with battery sled and POT. After the new year pre orders will be taken for the T20 110W boards. I am partner in the company and distributer. I can be found here in VU. You can also search LPV Advanced Technologies on FB to keep informed or learn more.

VapeVixen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Right on!
I'm so glad this thread is here. Thanks @Ksprings for starting it, and to contributors ! :)
I'm building my first 1590G unregulated dual box and have everything but the fuses . Can anyone suggest appropriate and economical fuses to protect against reverse polarity? The ones that have been suggested to me so far were over $7 ea, + shipping and I know that I will need at least 2 :/ ... I do have the (IRLB3034PBF) mosfet and 15k resistor but I've been unable to discern alternative fuses and I'm gettin' DIZZY, lol! I even read somewhere, the suggestion of using ATC automotive fuses :confused: Thanks folks! ;)

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Right on!
I'm so glad this thread is here. Thanks @Ksprings for starting it, and to contributors ! :)
I'm building my first 1590G unregulated dual box and have everything but the fuses . Can anyone suggest appropriate and economical fuses to protect against reverse polarity? The ones that have been suggested to me so far were over $7 ea, + shipping and I know that I will need at least 2 :/ ... I do have the (IRLB3034PBF) mosfet and 15k resistor but I've been unable to discern alternative fuses and I'm gettin' DIZZY, lol! I even read somewhere, the suggestion of using ATC automotive fuses :confused: Thanks folks! ;)

Sorry I cant help you on the fuse, I never put them in my boxes. are you building parallel or series, usually parallel is a no brainer for correct battery placement. Live on the edge and go without. :eek:

VapeVixen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lol! Parallel. I know, I just would rather have that insurance.
i can be a bit preoccupied at times ;)

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol! Parallel. I know, I just would rather have that insurance.
i can be a bit preoccupied at times ;)

If that G box is your first build, usually the tightness of that box is a shock for most beginners, getting those big resettable fuses in there takes some doing, especially if you are using a big keystone sled, and a 12mm button or larger. Don't get me wrong it can for sure be done, but. just sayin!

VapeVixen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Understood ;) I do expect it to take patience, for sure. I do have a 12mm a switch on the way. Thanks! I will have a good read through that. It may be one I have read, I'm not sure yet. But, stuck on finding fuses. o_O

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Keystone sleds destroy battery wraps.

I'm building a box mod and wanting to use a triple 18650 battery sled which box best fits this sled and still has room for the switch and 510 connector while is still not a hassle to carry around?

Lung Punch Vape LLC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
1590B will fit a tripple sled. I carry all colors very responsible priced and great shipping rates. Lpvpcb.com

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My bit this week is making mods with the new FT 50watt Vamo 10 chip. So easy to do. I have a Sigelei 100 watt. I don't even go above 30 watts. The 1590b is a great box.

Mr. Pink

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I prefer the 1590G over the B, it's just a little too big to carry in your pocket but it's nice for some I guess

I would like to build a 120 raptor box mod. Can somebody post or message me a complete parts list for me, with part numbers for digikey. Thanks in advance.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to make a raptor 20a squonker, but the B box is so damn tall... and the next widest aluminum box is the short 1550p as far as I know.

This little bottom feeder in a 1550p box is inspiring imo

Video of converting a Mephisto RDA to BF using the fatdaddyvapes RDA conversion kit (Many similar 3 post designs will work). Best flavor atty imo that looks eligible for a BF conversion is the Marquis + SS BF 510 screw from FDV. Apparently someone converted a Magma but I couldn't find the post again.

If I don't make a series squonker, I wonder what I can fit in a 1590A box using the sled from vape3d :D

Assuming you could cram a raptor 20a series build in either a 1590g, 1550p, or 1590a, which would you prefer?
ikW2n4g.jpg

Last edited:

VapeTechnologies

VapeTechnologies LLC Advanced Custom Boxes
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Unregulated box mods? Sometimes I make those things. ;)

Head on over to the MOSFET thread, a few of us builders ended up getting in a friendly pissing contest about who can build the coolest box yada yada ya... and as a result, some very useful information was consolidated into one thread. One of those unintentional gems that happen by accident. I know a few people that have successfully built their first boxes just from the information in that thread alone. http://vapingunderground.com/threads/basic-mosfet-wiring.2361/
WhyteNoize (8).jpg
WhyteNoize (31).jpg

Hey anyone know of a box thats just a little bit bigger than the 1590 b, in trying to do dual 26650s and i think theyd fit in the 1590 b but i want a little more space

VU Sponsors