Become a Patron!

Big coil have gargle issue, what am i doing wrong?

Goal to achieve: Clouds..... but still want flavor
Backstory:
So i started making fused clapton myself, while obtaining a subzero shorty tube mechmod.
At first i making 2 core Nic80 26g wrap with Nic80 40g, had steam engine doing my calculation.
with dual coil and 3mm with 3 wrap which got me to 0.1 ohm (i understand i am slightly beyond the CDA), tried it on fresh new sony VTC5(CDA 35). I am super happy about it, wonderful ramp up time good amount of clouds, the only thing i had a issue is that its abit over the amp limit.
so i wrap to 4 wrap, got about 0.15 ohm. but it had reduced ramp up time(increase to like 1 second longer) and the clouds is still acceptable( definitely feel less ), so i assume its about the ohm therefore power is less.
I get myself a Nic80 24g doing the same process, and get around 4mm 5wrap(the thing is abit chungus i gotta say) got myself 0.13 ohm. i was excited since more surface area means more clouds while the ohm is keep at good range, and oh god was i soo wrong about it.
It gargles and has spitback issue while i run it on my regulated box mod, with like 4.2 volt recommend wattage(135watt). i run it abit higher (just to check) it had no more issue, it did perform really well no more spitback and make good cloud but its SUPER hot. its so hot my regulated mod heat up until uncomfortable level, i thought my battery is venting(which didn't). so where did i get wrong? is the coil bad? and i tried it on my tube mech, the coil heat up soo slow and really didn't perform well at all and had the same spitback issue. what am i missing?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With your SOI Subzero Shorty mech mod with a single 18650 battery, use a Samsung 20S battery. The Sony/Murata VTC5 is only a 20 amp battery. There exists no 18650 battery that is 35 amps. The Samsung 30T, which is a 21700 battery so it doesn't fit inside the Subzero Shorty, is our ONLY option to get our 35 amp limit from just a single round cell. In addition, the Samsung 30T is the hardest hitting battery of them all. Whereas the Samsung 20S is the hardest hitting (and the best performing) 18650 battery.

My preferred coil build for a single battery tube mech mod is 0.11 ohms dual coil 3-core aliens using 27g Ni80 for the cores, 36g Ni80 for the alien wrap, at 5 wraps 2.5mm. Please be advised that, when also taking into account the voltage sag resulting from the DC internal resistance of the battery, this is still going to be a few amps over the amp limit of the Samsung 20S. Although I do not recommend going over the amp limit, everyone is responsible for their own safety, still nevertheless. But for those who ask "how much is safe", I recommend to stay at or below, because I will not be held responsible for anyone's safety excepting only my own personal safety, and, going above the amp limit is what causes some level of added risk that should never be ignored in any way, ever. (Even, if it's true the fact that there are certain things that we can do to reduce the combined risk factors to a certain level that we may decide we find it acceptable, or not, for ourself only after we have done all the necessary research correctly.)

That being said, 135 watts on a dual 18650 regulated mod is 15 watts above the recommended maximum safety limit if using a pair of 20 amp batteries in it. With a pair of Samsung 20S batteries, this limit will be 180 watts, whereas with a pair of Molicel P26A batteries it will be 150 watts, but you should also keep in mind that the Molicel P26A batteries may still warm up rather fast if you vape continuously, i.e., while not giving it time to cool down again, sufficiently, between subsequent hits frequently. Get a regulated mod that uses more numerous batteries, and, possibly also consider choosing one that can support 21700 batteries, also in addition to that, if you hate the comparatively short battery life of a dual 18650 regulated mod for vaping at high wattages. My Wismec Reuleaux RX300 can go up to 400 watts with ArcticFox firmware. But you don't need to go that high, because, one of the things that you can do with ArcticFox is: power curves. This is a special type of preheat function that allows user edited graphs to be used to accelerate the ramp up time of the coils. This can also be achieved with many other regulated mods, also including from different brands, but mods that either can support ArcticFox or can support Red Panda are my absolute preference for using power curves at high wattages on a regulated mod. Because, this specific firmware gives the ability to not need to re-adjust the power curve every time after you have changed the mod's wattage setting up or down, so it is 100 times more convenient to use in this regard.

Finally, I should note that both the RX300 and ArcticFox have one or two small problems that you can easily work around, at least if you know how. I can further explain about that in another post if you want, so please just let me know, and let me know if you have questions... I only use mech mods (of various types and sizes) these days, and I also prefer fairly big clouds due to how the vape feels like when I vape with powerful builds, despite I am a flavor chaser so not a typical cloud chaser by any means.

VU Sponsors