Become a Patron!

Black Stingray Style Mechanical Mod (from FastTech)

Sharkespeare

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
1699801_2.jpg

Short version scroll down to the (*****)

Long version:

So I bought this little sucker because I LOVE my brass 18650 and by black 26650 stingrays (both clones). I figured I'll try to get all of the stingrays, because I'm a huge fan of the style and (being a marine biologist) I like the "stingray" name and line. I'm also a creature of habit and when I find something I like I tend to get similar items.

I purchased this from FT for $25.59 (US) and it arrived just 8 days later (incredibly fast from China under normal shipping options).

When it arrived, I received the basic unit (all the tubes for 18490/18500/18650 - yadda-yadda) It arrived loose in a plastic bag (not even a box) and nothing else. No paper identifying product, no wick and wire (although I never would have used it anyway from past experience) and not even an invoice. This was pretty lousy even for FT.

Immediately I knew something was off. The top cap 510 connector pin was very loose and while it stayed in, it was very flimsy. I could pull the pin out it was so loose. Pretty bad and this was only the first of things to come (other than the packaging debacle).

Then I looked at the switch. The magnets were glued in (you could actually see the glue) and it was very weak (which menat I knew I would have to lock it to sit it down...a big "no-no" with me.

Knowing FT products, I cleaned everything with 95% ethanol (I have it in the lab in spades) and let it all air dry to remove any and all machine grease. You have to do this with everything from FT.

So, after cleaning, I got a freshly charged SONY VTC5 18650 batt and threw it in. I topped the little sucker with my authentic patriot with 0.26 dual coil set up (readyXwick) and loaded it with Angelic Custard from Scope Juice.

SONUVAB**CH!!!! The damn thing burned my hand!!! I checked to see if some juice ran out, but saw nothing shiny in the light on the outside of the mod/atomizer. I took another hit and BAM(!!!) it happened again! The second time struck a memory with me. See as a kid, my cousins used to drag me to their electric fence and shock me. Now it was all in good fun, but I knew there was a current running through my hand. I had bought my own little FastTech hand defibrilator! Pissed me off.

I took it apart several times and fiddled with it, but it never got better. Finally, I figured SOME ONE should sell replacement parts. I was lucky and found topcap and switch replacement parts at White Stag Vapor for only $7.99 (copper covered in SS). Figured it was worth a shot rather than send it back to China with NO RECEIPT and NO INVOICE! I took the gamble and a week later it paid off. The threads fit perfectly on the FT tube and the craftsmanship were excellent. I popped the partiot back on and EUREKA - perfect vape with big clouds! Hard hitting device and no phalangeal shock treatment! SO, now its in my rotation and a regular device. Pretty much I feel like I spent $26 on a set of beautiful black tubes Still with under $40 spent, I'm happy after all.

Short version:
Pros - you'll get great SS tubes with nice black finish and beautiful white stingray logo. Threads are pretty smooth.

Cons - You're gonna shock the sh** out of your hand, you'll have to buy top cap and switch elsewhere. You'll get no invoice/receipt. Magnets are weak. Price is okay if you only want the tubes.

THE FIX - buy the copper top cap and switch from White Stag Vapor (just search under stingray switch - you'll find it). Turns this turd into a top rate device.

Ultimately - First bad buy from FT. Luckily, due to a battery debacle, I used store credit to buy this so it didn't really cost me too much more that the $20.00 I already wasted.

Would I do it again? Yes, because even mistakes make you a better vaper. I did this on my own and got a great device out of it (although not as cheap as I would have wanted originally, but still under $40.00).

Original rating - 2/5
Fixed rating - 5/5

VU Sponsors