Become a Patron!

Black Strawberries

sinterrobang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
First real success with my own recipe. Thick, sweet and smooth! Hope you enjoy!

CAP Anise 8%
FA Strawberry 2%
FA Coconut 1%

Tried it after 2 days, don't seem to need any more time that that. Maybe it's good right away? Will try subbing strawberry with raspberry too soon...

acidburn123

Member For 4 Years
I'd never use anise or any FA flavor at 8%. :confused:....LOL! Maybe start with 1.5-2% and work up from there, if needed. ;)

Lol wouldn't dream using FA on 8% the fumes would burn down my eye brows :)

Was more wondering how CAP and FA compare side by side , I am a sucker for anise recipes

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol wouldn't dream using FA on 8% the fumes would burn down my eye brows :)

Was more wondering how CAP and FA compare side by side , I am a sucker for anise recipes
Capella is actually "beefing up" some of their flavors, imo. I have the anise and it's pretty stout, pleasantly sweet. But personally I'd have reservations about using it at over 2% in a mix, just my taste.
* I can't get the "burnt eyebrows" visual out of my head....LMAO!! :D

sinterrobang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure FA Anise is totally fine, haven't tried it though. But 1,5-2% sounds good if you use that one. I think CAP Anise is great though, very smooth and has that same mouthfeel as anise or liquorice root has.

acidburn123

Member For 4 Years
I'm sure FA Anise is totally fine, haven't tried it though. But 1,5-2% sounds good if you use that one. I think CAP Anise is great though, very smooth and has that same mouthfeel as anise or liquorice root has.

So the anise needs to be overpowering the other flavours and leaving them behind or blend in ? ..

I can see it over power at 2% and for a blend would perhaps use between 0.5 to 1.0

Love the idea of a "black strawberry", would make some mean label on my red glass bottles :)

sinterrobang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So the anise needs to be overpowering the other flavours and leaving them behind or blend in ? ..

I can see it over power at 2% and for a blend would perhaps use between 0.5 to 1.0

Love the idea of a "black strawberry", would make some mean label on my red glass bottles :)

If you know your FA Anise, go with your best judgement :) CAP Anise at 8% is very well blended in, you can clearly taste the strawberry, but not the coconut, it's just there for fullness and vapour.

acidburn123

Member For 4 Years
If you know your FA Anise, go with your best judgement :) CAP Anise at 8% is very well blended in, you can clearly taste the strawberry, but not the coconut, it's just there for fullness and vapour.

Ok dokey thanks for the info , going to make a quick test batch. And absolutely agree with you on the coconut it does so with lots of other fruit flavors and coffee blends I do.

edit :

well created 2 batches, one with 1% and other with 2% both overpower the strawberry after a good shake. .. will make another one with 0.5% and than let it sit for 2-3 days perhaps and see how it goes.

will update.

Last edited:

sinterrobang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
well created 2 batches, one with 1% and other with 2% both overpower the strawberry after a good shake. .. will make another one with 0.5% and than let it sit for 2-3 days perhaps and see how it goes.

will update.

Oh wow, FA is that strong? Thanks for doing the research! :)

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok dokey thanks for the info , going to make a quick test batch. And absolutely agree with you on the coconut it does so with lots of other fruit flavors and coffee blends I do.

edit :

will update.
Can't wait for the update. :) I have the flavors, just not ready to mix yet. I'm hoping for a mixing day on Saturday

acidburn123

Member For 4 Years
pfff anise is one of the stronger FA flavours for sure and it should get stronger while it steeps but mixing with scales makes it a no brainer.

, 0.5% was a bit to weak for my own liking or how I understand the OP described the flavour.

Anyhow at 0.75% it seems to be what the OP describes and vaping it as I write this (adjusted my previous batch).

at 1% The strawberry goes away completely for me.

Another variation I have blended is the following due me craving for a bit more berry taste and sweetness:

FA Strawberry 3%
FA Raspberry 0.5%
FA Coconut 1%
FA Anise 0.75%

haven't tried vaping it yet, i'll provide an update.

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great recipie. I did make some adjustments for personal taste and what I have available...crock pot steep 125-135 40 mins, 12 day time steep.

Anise FA 1%
Strawberry FA 2%
Coconut FA 1%
Sweet strawberry cap 2%

I think the 1% anise FA is just right.

VU Sponsors