Become a Patron!

Bobby Kotick Reportedly Turned Up Late and Left Early from a Meeting Meant to Reassure Employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick reportedly turned up late and left early from a 'fireside chat' meeting that was meant to reassure employees of Activision Blizzard about the future.

As reported by The Washington Post, the meeting, which was scheduled to last half an hour and was billed as a 'fireside chat', allegedly only lasted 16 minutes after Kotick himself turned up seven minutes late and finished the meeting early.

Kotick reportedly discussed a number of points during the meeting including the future of the company as it prepares to begin life under Microsoft, and the CEO's own status within the company. Sources told The Washington Post that they'd become suspicious over potential layoffs after Kotick told those in attendance that “the transition is going to be smooth because [Microsoft is] committed to trying to retain as many of our people as possible.”

During the meeting, Kotick reiterated that he would remain on as CEO of the company throughout the transitional process and for as long as Microsoft needed him afterward. “This is a company that I’ve now been here for 31 years, and there is nothing more important to me, other than my children, than this company,” Kotick said.

“I can tell you that my commitment to the company is [to] remain in my role. Once the deal closes, what I’ve committed to Microsoft is I will stay as long as is necessary to ensure that we have a great integration and a great transition.”

One employee, who wished to remain anonymous, allegedly told the Washington Post after the fireside meeting that they were optimistic over the deal with Microsoft but remained "wary" of Kotick. “All the fear and anger felt is still tied up in Bobby Kotick and what harm he will inflict until the torch is passed to Microsoft,” the Blizzard employee said.

“He likened Activision to be as important as his children, and I feel like he will not let go of it. With no mention of the strike, the lawsuit or any of the continuing issues, there may as well have not been a Q&A at all. We could’ve read a press release and slept an extra 15 minutes.”

Over the past twelve months, shareholders, employees, and members of the ABK Workers Alliance alike have called for Kotick's resignation after a report claimed that the CEO knew about alleged sexual assault and harassment allegations within company-owned studios, but did not disclose the information to the company's board, among other allegations. Following the announcement of Microsoft's intention to acquire Activision Blizzard, the ABK Workers Alliance stated that it would continue to demand Kotick's resignation.

For more news surrounding Activision Blizzard, be sure to check out this piece detailing how Blizzard boss Mike Ybarra plans to improve the culture of the studio moving forward.

Jared Moore is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Thumbnail credit: Michael Kovac/Getty Images

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors