Become a Patron!

Boiling atomizers

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hello all, I bought a used RTA that obviously sat fairly dirty for awhile and I cleaned it up the best I could, but it tastes kinda stale when I vape it. It obviously has a new build in it. I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner and I was wondering if I could boil it for a bit to clean it, and how long I would do so for. Just let me know please, Thanks!!!

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You don't need all of that... Take it apart and drop it in some verry hot water with a bit of dish soap. Then give it a lil scrub with the toothbrush.
And you're good to go.

No need to have it sandblasted or irradiated at 700 degrees
or buy a little machine that vibrates... :bliss:
Just give it a good hot soapy bath.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Take it fully apart. Insulator/peak material can be fragile. If doesn't remove easily just leave it there and like others suggest clean it by hand.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I would take it apart and give it a soak in hot water with some of that overnight denture cleaner, the stuff that comes in big tablets.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I was gonna ask actually, would it be smart for the OP to take off any seals before soaking in alcohol, or not necessary?

Also, wouldnt just using something like a vegetable steamer be equivalent to an autoclave?

Sorry if these are silly questions but i just rinse, soak in iso, cotton swap or whatever, than rince and dry in filtered water the single time i actually cleaned something

(Dishsoap in the first rinse i obviously see the benefit to, even on a new tank)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Deff take the orings off since there can be build up there. Seems a steamer would do what you could just do with - hot water. Filtered water isnt necessary imo, gonna dry it anyways.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You only need a tiny bit of dish "soap"... rinse well. Have you considered alcohol? Cheap 100 proof vodka works great (I won't use "rubbing alcohol"... iso propyl) Be careful with seals/o-rings... they are easily damaged. I would leave the insulator alone. BTW, it is possible that insulator was damaged/overheated before you got it... take a close look at it.
Which RTA is it?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would be skeptical if I bought a used RTA that had not been cleaned (at least reasonably clean)

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Deff take the orings off since there can be build up there. Seems a steamer would do what you could just do with - hot water. Filtered water isnt necessary imo, gonna dry it anyways.
it would sterilize it, hot water wouldnt. In my mind its excessive as well, just wondering if they were equivalent really

Last edited:

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
The atomizer is a Juggernaut V2, I will disassemble it completely and remove o-rings etc. and soak overnight in alcohol. I will then soak it in some hot water and dish soap for a few hours and give it a good scrubbing, and if that won’t do it I will salvage anything useable and chalk it up to a loss.

Thanks for all the replies. I have learned a lot from this including the fact that if you plan on storing an atomizer for quite awhile, be sure to clean it first.

I could also see if QP has all the replacement parts, that and a good cleaning should make ‘er almost like new.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Don't use alcohol on silicone,,,like under the cap, or seals/orings. And idk what it might do to Peek.

Reactions: STX

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If you break it all the way down including taking out the post screws and the silicone at the fill ports, but except for removing the post, and just clean all the parts with dish soap water, Ill bet it will be fine. If you can safely remove the post w/o hurting the Peek, then ok, if not, oh well. Either way I think you can get your build back in it in 30-45 mins and be fine either way.

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Don't use alcohol on silicone,,,like under the cap, or seals/orings. And idk what it might do to Peek.
Okay I won’t, I imagine the funky taste is coming from the deck, because it doesn’t taste bad when I take a draw without heating it at all.

Also I do have all the spares, except for the peek, if I mess anything up or just decide I want to replace them all. I’ll take my time and be very careful.

I’ll also be sure to let the seller know about the issue, but I will be nice about it. 😊

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Sure! If you have all that stuff you could put all the new in and save the old for spares ....

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
And I've read where it's not good.
Is the atty coated? We used alcohol for paint clean up.
What does it do to Peek?

IMO alcohol isn't needed. IK vodka has been recommended for years, but if warm or hot soapy water won't dissolve it or loosen it to be cleaned, then ...
If something that can be tasted after a normal cleaning, has impregnated itself into silicon or plastic and is still present, then replace if ya can, last option is chemical - imo.

I still think just take it all apart including to + post if possible - doesn't mean the peek has to come out if it won't, and a normal cleaning.
1673898659636.png

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Vape Fan , you actually mentioned several important issues. I concede (you have done more builds than I have) I really just rinse everything in hot water (don't use "soap"... detergent) and if I do, in small amounts. I have soaked decks in alcohol (100 proof vodka is still only 50%) Have never had issues with PEEK insulators (but once again, that is something to consider) Overall, I agree with most responses... hot water (and a few drops of dish washing detergent) and a good rinse... if that doesn't do it, you need to start over.
My suggestion for alcohol was a "last resort" sort of thing.

STX

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Okay so I took it apart 100%, took off all the o-rings and soaked everything in hot soapy water and scrubbed it all down with a toothbrush. It tastes much better, but the stale flavor is still there slightly.

I’m convinced that the fouling is in where the chamber is press fitted into the chimney, because it is loose so that the chamber can rotate with the deck. If you had one you would understand.

I am going to take just the chamber piece and remove the o-rings and boil that doggie for a bit. Final effort will be chemical warfare!

So much for getting a good deal on this!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Okay so I took it apart 100%, took off all the o-rings and soaked everything in hot soapy water and scrubbed it all down with a toothbrush. It tastes much better, but the stale flavor is still there slightly.

I’m convinced that the fouling is in where the chamber is press fitted into the chimney, because it is loose so that the chamber can rotate with the deck. If you had one you would understand.

I am going to take just the chamber piece and remove the o-rings and boil that doggie for a bit. Final effort will be chemical warfare!

So much for getting a good deal on this!

If all else fails, once you know it's clean, you could always put some strong-flavored e-liquid in it and let it sit for about a week. Something like cinnamon, or coffee, wintergreen/spearmint, or even a strong lemon might do the trick. It's possible that you'd be stuck with some remnant of the flavor you use, but I would think that would be preferable to the "stale" taste you have now. (This is also assuming that the tank part is glass and not some kind of plastic that might crack.)

VU Sponsors