VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://nj1015.com/boom-e-cig-battery-explodes-in-womans-purse-inside-nj-mall/

“I had the battery in this pocket by itself and what it did was it exploded through the pocket,” McInerney says. “It charred every single thing, melted every single thing that I had in the bag.”

http://www.kplctv.com/story/33089051/video-e-cigarette-explodes-in-womans-purse

A battery for Mara Mcinerney’s vaporizer exploded in her purse while she was paying at a sunglass booth.

"I had the battery in this pocket by itself, it exploded through the pocket, charred and melted everything in the bag," Mcinerney said.

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No excuse. No excuse! Many vendors supply cases for them. The ones that don't, sell them CHEAP! No excuse!

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow. Thanks for reminding me...

I brought an extra batt along on a run to town back on Saturday (4-5 days ago).
It's still sitting in a jacket pocket in the other room... in a little single 18650 silicone sleeve that cost me about fifty cents. :rolleyes:

But even without that... nearly every pair of batteries I've bought, came with a plastic dual cell case (I'm drowning in the damn things to be honest :p ).
I understand if not every purchase includes them... but they're too damn common to not have at least one.

There's no excuse for carrying loose 3.7 volt batteries.
These ain't weak little 1.5v AAs or Cs etc.
And being safe is cheap. :rolleyes:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Wow. Thanks for reminding me...

I brought an extra batt along on a run to town back on Saturday (4-5 days ago).
It's still sitting in a jacket pocket in the other room... in a little single 18650 silicone sleeve that cost me about fifty cents. :rolleyes:

But even without that... nearly every pair of batteries I've bought, came with a plastic dual cell case (I'm drowning in the damn things to be honest :p ).
I understand if not every purchase includes them... but they're too damn common to not have at least one.

There's no excuse for carrying loose 3.7 volt batteries.
These ain't weak little 1.5v AAs or Cs etc.
And being safe is cheap. :rolleyes:

At the very least if she was a super cheapass with a $2000 purse:facepalm: a fucking zip lock bag would do.
Even a fucking condom would do if you tied the fucker off and if it wasn't used.:facepalm:

I don't understand how people like this have made it this far in life being this stupid without sticking their tongue in an electrical socket or taking a bath with a toaster that's plugged in!

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You'd think with Samsung's woes this month (FULL Note 7 recall? :eek: ) that you simply couldn't find a conscious person who was unaware of the explosive potential of modern batteries.

But no. :rolleyes:

(eta: sorry... had the wrong phone model)

Last edited:

VaporCat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"She would like to be reimbursed for the purse, worth hundreds of dollars, and its contents."

Um, no, but good luck with that. Not only was she foolish for having a loose battery in her purse, but she still wont admit that her own actions were the direct cause of the situation.

"She hopes that her story serves as a warning to others who vape."

Yeah, my takeaway from it is we should all beware of people that might not be the brightest bulbs in the bunch. This is precisely the reason some battery manufacturers (Sony) have disclaimed themselves from their cells being used outside of their own OEM equipment.

My response to her would be to stop tarnishing the reputation of other vapers who have educated themselves on the safe and proper operation of the tools in question *before* going about using them.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
was it an actual device or just a cell?
who carries loose cells anywhere?
2dc87ca5f618c954805316517c788182.jpg

liionwholesale gives this away with everu purchase.
ive even taken it an extrs step and purchased some 4bay ones for less than a dollar each.
i hate people.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And 5150sick's suggestion -- those little bitty ziplocks that pretty much all ejuice is shipped inside? I used those a lot for batteries, before I got some cases. Not ideal, but better than a loose battery in a purse/pocket.

But as I've noted many times before... stupid people never know that they're stupid, they think they're "average," or even, god help us, "bright." :facepalm: So something like this is CLEARLY the battery's fault, not HERS. :facepalm:

And I confess, I've carried loose batteries in my purse, in the side-zip compartment. But they were AA's for my camera, not li-ion vape batteries -- and once I learned how dangerous it is to carry ANY batteries that way (from this newfangled thing called READING), I stopped doing that.

Andria

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
was it an actual device or just a cell?

It appears to have been loose in her purse.

The story happened to be on I think CNN an hour ago, so I've now seen the Louis Vuitton/Yves Saint Laurent go bye-bye. I lol'd. :p

Watch... she'll threaten the store and they'll discover it's a knockoff. :D

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This woman was obviously careless. Of course, she is not going to take responsibility for her lack of knowledge on battery safety.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Darwin missed....this time.

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to carry batteries (Duracell AA) in a little leather zippered change purse. This was in the early 2000's when I had my portable cd player. Even then, at 13+ yrs old, I put them + end down and they were all vertical. I had never thought about them blowing up, but was more worried about them touching metal and all the juice draining from them. But they ALL were ALWAYS kept separate in my bag. I'm about to buy my first ever external battery for a mod I won, and will always make sure to use the proper battery safety.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I used to carry batteries (Duracell AA) in a little leather zippered change purse. This was in the early 2000's when I had my portable cd player. Even then, at 13+ yrs old, I put them + end down and they were all vertical. I had never thought about them blowing up, but was more worried about them touching metal and all the juice draining from them. But they ALL were ALWAYS kept separate in my bag. I'm about to buy my first ever external battery for a mod I won, and will always make sure to use the proper battery safety.

You won last night on mod envy didn't you?
I won a 1 year subscription to vape news magazine! :bunny:

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think celticluvr won the tilt, no?

I'm ecstatic. Got me a dot com coming and a bumper sticker and maybe some pink in the stink.

Okay, maybe I'm not so stoked about that last one.

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think celticluvr won the tilt, no?

I'm ecstatic. Got me a dot com coming and a bumper sticker and maybe some pink in the stink.

Okay, maybe I'm not so stoked about that last one.
Yup I won the tilt last night! I was only half paying attention at the time as I was getting a sip of my drink... and :sneaka::teehee:. It kinda snuck up on me. My second win ever. Won some juice on the sauce la thread a week ago. :xD:

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh and Congrats on both of y'alls wins as well! :cheers:
You too. It's weird, the last two months I've won on various shows, multiple times. MaddCatt, Scope (I think), TMaxx, Stasis, Lotus, and now Vapor Joe. In the interim, I've turned down MaddCatt once and TMaxx twice (I think) and something else on 3Dog's show, forget what. And the whole time, I'm like, "Brew City, Brew City". And of course, you KNOW if I buy, that's the week I'll win.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
And the whole time, I'm like, "Brew City, Brew City". And of course, you KNOW if I buy, that's the week I'll win.

The whole time we are all like, "Brew City, Brew City".:)

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I really wish I could get that tesla Joe gives away... Its so pretty! :D and the Brew City... but I'm not selfish. There are probably winners that could really use the juice or the Tesla :)

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I really wish I could get that tesla Joe gives away... Its so pretty! :D and the Brew City... but I'm not selfish. There are probably winners that could really use the juice or the Tesla :)
Me too. If it was a month ago, I probably would have taken the Tesla, but now I've started building so...

VU Sponsors