Boyfriend Dungeons' Voice Actor is Being Harassed For Playing a Villain

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The voice actor for the villain in Boyfriend Dungeon is asking players to not harass him for playing that villain, as some people have forgotten that his character is fictional and a voice actor is actually a real person.

Boyfriend Dungeon, a game where players hack their way through dungeons while romancing anthropomorphic weapons, was released recently.

Soon after launch, Boyfriend Dungeon's content warning drew some criticism; not because it didn't mention what kind of content was in the game — it did — but because it didn't necessarily warn players of how critical the content is to progressing forward.

Developer Kitfox Games says a "more accurate" version of the content warning is on the way, but in the meantime, some have taken to social media to harass the voice actor for the game's villain, Eric.

In short, Eric is manipulative and a stalker. The content warning mentions the stalking and emotional manipulation, but it doesn't mention that interacting with Eric is necessary to complete the game. Kotaku spoke with Eric's voice actor, Alexander Gross, about the harassment he's receiving for simply voicing the character.

"There was one (message) that I got, and I actually quoted this one, it was like, 'It reflects badly on you for portraying a character that does these kinds of things,'' Gross told Kotaku. "It was part of a longer paragraph message or something, and that confused me because you know, I'm thinking I took the job because this is what I love doing. I don't condone what the character does."

Saying "it reflects poorly on me to play a character like this" is so confusing. There's bad people out there, I don't support what these kind of people are doing/saying/thinking at all. It's just acting, y'all.

— Axl Jorts Restoration Squad (@Octopimp) August 16, 2021

Since the game's release, Gross has received plenty of hate on social media. He even asked people on Twitter on August 16 to stop sending him hate messages about Eric. "Please be respectful," he said.

Gross said he even agrees with the general dislike of the character. Eric is a villain, after all.

“I read the script and I was like, 'Wow, this guy's a piece of sh*t’," Gross said. "He sucks. So I made him a combination of every f**kboy that I know. He's just awful. And so I tried to play it in that way. And that was it."

Gross isn't Eric — he's the voice actor that simply voices Eric so if someone dislikes that character, that doesn't warrant real-life harassment of Gross. He wants it to stop.

Check out our full thoughts on the game in IGN's Boyfriend Dungeon review and then watch this five-minute video of Boyfriend Dungeon gameplay.

Wesley LeBlanc is a freelance news writer and guide maker for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @LeBlancWes.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors