Become a Patron!

Braided Coils

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What is the basic concept of braiding and twisting coils? Is it a way to "jam" more power into a smaller space?
What are the benefits? How do you start a braided coil?

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I may be wrong, but i believe its for better flavor since you get more surface area. But i can only speak for twisting wire since ive never braided. To start all you really need is a drill, channel locks or pliers, and your wire! Cut 2 or more equal length strands, having them parallel to each other insert the same end of both wires into the drill and lock it down, grab the opposing ends with the pliers and start your twisting with the drill VERY slowly. You can also do it by hand, but ive always used a drill.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Alex. I did a 2 wire twist with 28g by hand. Came out nice at .6 ohms, 5/6 wraps (if I remember correctly).
The only braid I've made was with hair! Picturing 6 inches or more of wire and braiding it - gonna take awhile!

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've twisted 2 and 3 strands, I'm still playing around and trying to decide if I like it.
Getting wire to braid evenly seems like a difficult and time consuming task. if ya get there make sure to post pictures.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried the braided wire with 30g It took a very long time. It wasn't worth the effort ihmo. Lots of surface area for sure and coil is very low ohms but I was not impressed at all.
YMMV

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When you guys say braiding you mean just two twisted wires not like a 3 wire hair braid? haha

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
O.P. used twist and braid as 2 separate things so I'm taking them as such. Twist=strands spun around each other
braid=strands woven like hair

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried the braided wire with 30g It took a very long time. It wasn't worth the effort ihmo. Lots of surface area for sure and coil is very low ohms but I was not impressed at all.
YMMV
I appreciate your input, Fishee. Might save me some useless curiosity. I just got some flat wire which will give me that surface coverage without coiffing my coils!

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to Coil coiffure. Offering braiding, pleating, and Twisting for all types of wire. Sub ohm available by request.

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ha ha, and I want someone to gaze into my eyes the way I gaze at my mods. I think they're stunning!

rjmara

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to Coil coiffure. Offering braiding, pleating, and Twisting for all types of wire. Sub ohm available by request.
What about a wire weave?

VU Sponsors