Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1435104
I've used this since MAY 2014. Haven't had any concerns and no off taste.I find all silica mutes flavor somewhat at first. I torch mine before using. Taste is very subjective. I enjoy cotton but have friends that swear they can't stand the taste.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't used silica for many moons. However I tried a stock coil about a month ago just for the hell of it and it was pretty dire I can tell you. So I've had apprehensions on getting some but I think the stock coil wasn't meant to be vaped. Hmm I'd say ft wick is as good as any. But the reason I chose the braided is because it doesn't flail.

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I switch up alot. Silica, cotton, stainless. Just get bored.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya that's why I'm pondering. It's just one if those things isn't it. Like having a box of unused drippers and still browsing fasttech for more lol. I call it passion ;)

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's always a struggle trying to decide which setup to use daily lol. Unused boxes are inventory for a rainy day.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using the 3mm for about a month straight. Boiled it all upon arrival, tastes great. I've run a couple tanks a little lower than I should've. Still get decent vapor & taste with no burning. I'm still learning how to get a quick to last a little longer, but right now they're prefect for a week. After 2 weeks, it's pretty much clogged. Being hollow, I shove the biggest threading needle I have in, wrap my coil. Start inserting wick into tank & gradually pull the needle out as I go. Works perfect until I learn a better way.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using the 3mm for about a month straight. Boiled it all upon arrival, tastes great. I've run a couple tanks a little lower than I should've. Still get decent vapor & taste with no burning. I'm still learning how to get a quick to last a little longer, but right now they're prefect for a week. After 2 weeks, it's pretty much clogged. Being hollow, I shove the biggest threading needle I have in, wrap my coil. Start inserting wick into tank & gradually pull the needle out as I go. Works perfect until I learn a better way.

I never figured it being hollow. That's a plus. And getting a weeks worth vaping out of it is ok. I don't like buying anything from ft that says ships in 5 days as that can mean anything and it's said that for a long time now. But I may still buy it. There's always the cancel option if ft piss me about. I'm wondering if my tastes buds will have to readjust as I've been vaping with cotton for a long time now.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never figured it being hollow. That's a plus. And getting a weeks worth vaping out of it is ok. I don't like buying anything from ft that says ships in 5 days as that can mean anything and it's said that for a long time now. But I may still buy it. There's always the cancel option if ft piss me about. I'm wondering if my tastes buds will have to readjust as I've been vaping with cotton for a long time now.
I bought 3 packs (for quantity discount) of the shortest length they had. If it didn't work for me, I'm only out $9. Good thing too as I'm getting ready to try cotton. But I still like the stuff. I couldn't get a mesh wick to not short in my pulse g, even with insulating it. This silica has allowed me to love the pulse all over again. So much, that my beloved rsst hasn't been touched in quite some time. Kinda starting to feel guilty about that...

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought 3 packs (for quantity discount) of the shortest length they had. If it didn't work for me, I'm only out $9. Good thing too as I'm getting ready to try cotton. But I still like the stuff. I couldn't get a mesh wick to not short in my pulse g, even with insulating it. This silica has allowed me to love the pulse all over again. So much, that my beloved rsst hasn't been touched in quite some time. Kinda starting to feel guilty about that...

Thanks for that. I'll order some next week I think. I never really got into mesh. I used it a few times. I saw some guys in a group I'm in on Facebook wicking with glass. How about that then. But then I guess silica is glass, so.. Actually yeah, so why does some silica taste so awful?
Don't feel bad about your rsst. You can always coil it up for a friend :)

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try the ReadyxWick from RBA Supplies. It has almost no flavor of its own - even on a dry hit it's nowhere near as bad as silica or cotton. And it lasts just about forever. If you cut it evenly, it won't hardly fray at all. The stuff is expensive, but it's just about perfect.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@jeremy I live in the UK. It's faster to buy from china than it is the USA, I think it's mainly a customs thing. I do buy from over where you are. Bought some stuff from fluidvapor yesterday, but I'm banking on it being like 3 weeks. China is usually within a week and no duty to pay. All the best stuff modding-wise at least is in the USA. Unfair isn't it, if you don't like being hit by customs that is ;)

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@jeremy I live in the UK. It's faster to buy from china than it is the USA, I think it's mainly a customs thing. I do buy from over where you are. Bought some stuff from fluidvapor yesterday, but I'm banking on it being like 3 weeks. China is usually within a week and no duty to pay. All the best stuff modding-wise at least is in the USA. Unfair isn't it, if you don't like being hit by customs that is ;)
That's absolutely horrible actually. It shouldn't take that long. That's just crazy. But i must warn you that if you should ever get the urge to try that READYxWICK stuff (which now that i think about it, dammit, is not even allowed outside of the U.S. for whatever crazy, shit-stupid reason), you should make certain that it comes from RBA Supplies because it must - absolutely must! - be kiln-treated at a temperature rivaling that of our sun for a period of many hours (this is due to the otherwise unsafe sizing chemicals used to produce it). Some other vendors sell similar media - variously treated Nextel XC-116 - which they claim to have heat-treated properly enough. Personally, i only find RBA Supplies to have a truly proper heat-treating process.

Anyway, i probably can't legally recommend that you have an American send you some personally, and i'm not really sure what the problem is nor what the punishment would be for such a terrible crime against all which is fair and just and good in this world, but if you should ever find yourself with the opportunity, grab it with the most eminent vigor.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@jeremy thanks for that answer mate. That was really long and concise. I do remember mod envy discussing it some weeks back but I forget stuff. But the bit about only buying it from RBA Supplies jogged my memory.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@jeremy thanks for that answer mate. That was really long and concise. I do remember mod envy discussing it some weeks back but I forget stuff. But the bit about only buying it from RBA Supplies jogged my memory.
Yeah i just wish there was some way to get it to you outside of the States. I did a little digging around and discovered that the export restriction is due to its use in military heat-resistant wiring for like missiles or something. Crazy. Supposedly hefty fines involved. I guess they figure if you're not American, you're a terrorist. #seemslegit

Further digging revealed the fact that a lot of ceramics contain lead, so knockoffs are probably a pretty bad idea.

There's a version called XS-116 but that's back to silica, although probably of a higher quality, and braided at least. Ekowool is probably the next best thing i guess.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm actually very happy with organic cotton. It's east to tear and wick with. I don't have any allergies and I love the taste of fresh cotton. I just want to mix things up a bit and try something new. Aspire are making heads for their nautilus the doesn't even use a wick. I wonder how that will taste and what the wire is

Reactions: jae

VU Sponsors