Become a Patron!

Breaking Down The Grinch's Box Office Debut

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Illumination Entertainment has another hit on their hands with a new animated adaptation of Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch, which opened with $67.6 million. With an additional $13.1 million coming from foreign markets, its worldwide debt of $80.7 million has already secured a profit for the film, which has a production budget of $75 million. When compared to the other eight films produced by Illumination Entertainment, The Grinch doesn’t stack up as high as you might think, so we’re breaking down its opening weekend when compared to the rest of Illumination’s slate.

The Grinch’s opening weekend ranks as the sixth best out of Illumination Entertainment’s nine films, behind another Dr. Seuss adaptation, The Lorax ($70.2 million), Despicable Me 3 ($72.4 million), Despicable Me 2 ($83.5 million), The Secret Life of Pets ($104.4 million) and Minions ($115.7 million). Its debut fared better than the very first Illumination film, the original Despicable Me ($56.4 million), Hop ($37.5 million) and Sing ($35.3 million). All of Illumination’s films have at least broken the $100 million domestic box office barrier, with the lowest-grossing film being Hop at $108.1 million, but oddly enough, a lower debut doesn’t often foreshadow a lackluster domestic performance.

Continue reading…

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors