Become a Patron!

bubbling/gurgling when using eVic VT/eGo One

dylan843

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I originally had the ego mega but it broke so I got the ego one instead. i used first a 0.5 kanthal coil for its life with no issues. so i replaced the coil (same type) at the same time i got a new bottle of juice from the same vendor but a different flavor. now every now again again i will get a bubbling/ gurgling effect and the vape quality will be poor. also sometimes when this happens the tank gets hot. too get rid of it i vape as normal but i blow out instead of in the burn it off and then itll work again for a little bit.

anyone have any idea what the problem is?

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
I originally had the ego mega but it broke so I got the ego one instead. i used first a 0.5 kanthal coil for its life with no issues. so i replaced the coil (same type) at the same time i got a new bottle of juice from the same vendor but a different flavor. now every now again again i will get a bubbling/ gurgling effect and the vape quality will be poor. also sometimes when this happens the tank gets hot. too get rid of it i vape as normal but i blow out instead of in the burn it off and then itll work again for a little bit.

anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Hi Dylan,

Can you answer a few questions? I like my EGO One Mega... What VG/PG ratio is the e-liquid you're vaping? Where are you running the airflow control? At what wattage are you vaping? Are all the o-rings in place and in good shape? Is the coil head fully installed finger tight?

Blowing through the drip tip to clear the coil head is fine. But turn the atomizer upside down while doing it or you risk pushing more e-liquid into the coil head. Wrapping a paper towel loosely over the airflow holes will catch any e-liquid you clear.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
aldenf hit this right on the head.

To give a little more info though, PG is less viscous than VG, so higher PG content will lead to a heavier flow of juice. That's key as gurgling is generally a sign over oversaturation of your wicking material. His comments are exactly what you want to do to troubleshoot, but figure some info on "why?" would be worthwhile.

Also, premade coils aren't always identical to one another, sometimes you just have duds. Not saying yours necessarily is, and it's always a kick in the balls when you get one, but just something to consider. There are tons of factors in vaping, the coil and it's makeup (size/wraps/spacing/material), The wicking (how tightly it's packed, material, quality), and connections/sealing (orings intact without flaws, machining of the parts) just a few major things to sum it up, though there are more things to consider.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gentlemen it's Friday night... & I need some entertainment.
Can somebody 'splain to me why blowing to clear the tank has to be done upside down? :)
Simply lets you act on the coil itself and what's in there rather than having additional flow as well. Also sometimes drippings down into the airflow have a chance to come into the coils and vaporize as well. It's not necessary but it can help.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gentlemen it's Friday night... & I need some entertainment.
Can somebody 'splain to me why blowing to clear the tank has to be done upside down? :)

Because if your standing on your head, gravity is minutely altered in the area resulting in a microscopic fluctuations on the protons of the atoms of the liquid in the tank :p

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In all seriousness though,

A bottom coil tank depends on vacuum pressure inside the tank to keep liquid in it. As you vape, the cotton dries out and once dry enough there is an opening for air to escape into the tank and this allows more liquid to flow into the cotton for the next hit. Can think of it like one of those cat/dog watering bowls with an upside down gallon jug holding water.

A drawback of this system is that any change in air pressure can result in flooding which results in the guggling. Too much liquid got pushed into the cotton and it dripped down below the coils to where the air holes are and is bubbling while you suck air through it.

A few things can cause this:
-Sucking on it too hard can cause it, you'll suck liquid out of the tank if you hit it too hard.
-A bad orings can cause this, especially if it's at the top of the tank
-A bad coil can cause it, it may not be making a good enough seal and is letting fluid leave the tank despite the cotton already being saturated
-Temperature changes can cause this. Going from a cold environment to a warm environment can result in the air in the tank warming up, expanding, and pushing out liquid

If it's not a mechanical issue, an easy way to solve it is to just sit the tank upside down (tip down) on a peper towel over night. All the excess liquid will drip out. Blowing into the tip can also work, but must be done very lightly, or while holding the tank upside down. Otherwise any air that enters the tank while forcing air down the tip will force more liquid out and just make the problem continue.

BTW, blowing air into the tip with the tank held upright to force air into the tank is also a method you can use to help force a higher VG liquid to wick to prevent dry hits. Takes a bit of practice to get the method down without causing flooding from using too much air, but it does work. Can even use 100% VG liquid in tanks once you master the technique though.

dylan843

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Dylan,

Can you answer a few questions? I like my EGO One Mega... What VG/PG ratio is the e-liquid you're vaping? Where are you running the airflow control? At what wattage are you vaping? Are all the o-rings in place and in good shape? Is the coil head fully installed finger tight?

Blowing through the drip tip to clear the coil head is fine. But turn the atomizer upside down while doing it or you risk pushing more e-liquid into the coil head. Wrapping a paper towel loosely over the airflow holes will catch any e-liquid you clear.
the ratio is 50/50. I was running the airflow pretty tight but then I started with it fully open and it continued less but still continued. coil is tight. not sure what the o rings are??

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@dylan843, you have condensation in the condensation chamber. It is very unlikely it's a juice leak as these don't wick well, that is fast enough for that to occur.

To get rid of it, open the air flow, and blew gently for a few seconds. You'll feel the gurgling stop as you're blowing.

By the way, the rebuildable coils are significantly better than any of the coil heads.

Mine leaked like a sieve LOL Nothing I did could fix it - so it's in the back of a drawer!

dylan843

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@JERUS thanks I think it was a dud, I replaced it with a new coil and it hasn't been doing that SO FAR, I have been only using the new coil for a few hours.

the only other issue I am having is that the tank gets hot pretty quickly, I vape at around 21 watts anything less just gives a crappy vape, I have started unscrewing it a little bit and it helps a little but it still does get a little hot...is this a normal thing or is there some trick to reducing this happening?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@JERUS thanks I think it was a dud, I replaced it with a new coil and it hasn't been doing that SO FAR, I have been only using the new coil for a few hours.

the only other issue I am having is that the tank gets hot pretty quickly, I vape at around 21 watts anything less just gives a crappy vape, I have started unscrewing it a little bit and it helps a little but it still does get a little hot...is this a normal thing or is there some trick to reducing this happening?
You're heating up a coil to hundreds of degrees to vaporize the juice, heat transfers. It just is what it is. Now a simple setup like that shouldn't get too hot, if it does set it down and let it rest a bit. Right now I got a new fancy coilbuild in my "tank" and god that things heating up to almost burning temperatures (think a metal bench on a hot summer day). Vapes so nicely though.

As far as a trick to prevent it with a stock setup, it's just using it less, giving it time to cool down. Shorter pulls less often is about all you can do.

dylan843

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
okay so I guess nevermind its still doing it. could it be my juice? 50/50 and its a mountain dew type flavor so I think I saw something somewhere about being careful about citris flavors before this just used watermelon and had no issues will go back to that when I run out, also what are the orings and how to do check that?

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
okay so I guess nevermind its still doing it. could it be my juice? 50/50 and its a mountain dew type flavor so I think I saw something somewhere about being careful about citris flavors before this just used watermelon and had no issues will go back to that when I run out, also what are the orings and how to do check that?

There are three o-rings to look for. One each at the top and bottom of the coil head and one at the bottom of the wider threads, on the atomizer base. In the pic below, the coil head o-rings are black; the atty base o-ring is a milky translucent color. The o-rings are what seals the tank and allows for negative pressure to build up, to keep e-liquid from just oozing out through the coil head.

BTW, no one ever asked, is your eGo One leaking out the airflow control holes?

c7a1b2f6e9c5d0a3bc164d52213c456c.jpg

dylan843

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are three o-rings to look for. One each at the top and bottom of the coil head and one at the bottom of the wider threads, on the atomizer base. In the pic below, the coil head o-rings are black; the atty base o-ring is a milky translucent color. The o-rings are what seals the tank and allows for negative pressure to build up, to keep e-liquid from just oozing out through the coil head.

BTW, no one ever asked, is your eGo One leaking out the airflow control holes?

c7a1b2f6e9c5d0a3bc164d52213c456c.jpg
yes! right out the air holes.

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
yes! right out the air holes.

That means the tank is not sealing or creating a vacuum. Examine the glass liner. Make sure it's not cracked/broken. The only reason I haven't suggesting giving up on the atomizer is that it worked fine for you with the original coil head. Something has changed since. Are you exposing your rig to frequent temperature swings; like 70F inside to 20F outside? Do you spend a lot of time with it in cold temperatures or let it sit in a cold car (cold being below freezing)?

dylan843

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That means the tank is not sealing or creating a vacuum. Examine the glass liner. Make sure it's not cracked/broken. The only reason I haven't suggesting giving up on the atomizer is that it worked fine for you with the original coil head. Something has changed since. Are you exposing your rig to frequent temperature swings; like 70F inside to 20F outside? Do you spend a lot of time with it in cold temperatures or let it sit in a cold car (cold being below freezing)?
no the temp outside of it has been constant. at looking at the o ring of the bottom piece (excuse my terminology) it has little bubbles of liquid underneath parts of it, I did my best to take a toothpick and push it down all the way around, but at this point should I just get a new atomizer?

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
no the temp outside of it has been constant. at looking at the o ring of the bottom piece (excuse my terminology) it has little bubbles of liquid underneath parts of it, I did my best to take a toothpick and push it down all the way around, but at this point should I just get a new atomizer?

If the problem hasn't been solved by now, a new atomizer may be in order. We can't say we didn't try. Let's get you back to vaping. There are many good atomizers in the $15-25 range. That's less than two packs of analogs in NYC. Good luck!

dylan843

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If the problem hasn't been solved by now, a new atomizer may be in order. We can't say we didn't try. Let's get you back to vaping. There are many good atomizers in the $15-25 range. That's less than two packs of analogs in NYC. Good luck!
yeah that sucks but whatever. okay so if I cant find another ego at my local shop (orderings not an option going out of town in a few days) will any of the type that (I don't remember the terminology again sorry) have the male piece that screws into the battery type of atomizers work? or will it have to be a joyetech? sucks cause I have all these joyetech coils.

oh and another thing is when I changed my juice I went from 1.2nic to 0.6 nicotine...could that have effected it?

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
yeah that sucks but whatever. okay so if I cant find another ego at my local shop (orderings not an option going out of town in a few days) will any of the type that (I don't remember the terminology again sorry) have the male piece that screws into the battery type of atomizers work? or will it have to be a joyetech? sucks cause I have all these joyetech coils.

oh and another thing is when I changed my juice I went from 1.2nic to 0.6 nicotine...could that have effected it?

Nic level shouldn't matter. Which mod you have? Last thing I would do is take the Ego back to you where you bought it and ask for help. Most shops are happy to help if they're not slammed, even if you didn't buy it from them. Take your coils with you.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As I recall lots of people had issues with the Ego One-Mega which is why the eVic VTC-Mini now comes with a Tron-Tank,which is just as bad from what I've read/seen in various chat rooms & reviews.

dylan843

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK visited the local vape shop and figured it out, it was the juice I was using my tank is fine.

according to the guy the joyetech coils need a higher vg content, I was using 50/50...bought a new bottle of 80/20 and it works great again.

VU Sponsors