Become a Patron!

Burnt taste....

I am very be to vaping (about a month) and currently I use a MVP v2 with an Aspire mini. I noticed a burnt taste so I cleaned out my tank and changed the coil. Put it all back together and the burnt taste is still there. What can be the cause? Any advice appreciated.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lots of things to factor in on burn't taste, how high do you have the settings set at on the MVP, what coils are you using, can you go into better detail about your set up?

Lots of things to factor in on burn't taste, how high do you have the settings set at on the MVP, what coils are you using, can you go into better detail about your set up?
I like to vape at 9 watts. They are 1.8 ohm bvc coils. And it was fine then all of the sudden burnt taste. Nothing where it started to taste a little burnt. It was like all at once. Sorry I don't know more. I'm very new to all of this.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See if you come down a little bit on the watts if that works better?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm using the MVP V2 and full Nautilus, should be same coils 1.6 or 1.8 Ohms. I vape at 8.5 watts. 9 watts should be fine. Sometimes I have to give the nautilus a good shake to get it primed if I've gotten a dry hit or changed coils to get primed and going again. Flavor usually comes back pretty good.

I've tried those things. Still the same. Maybe it's the juice somehow? I love my Southern Steam but maybe it's time to switch it out and wait for more to come in the mail.

cad99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What percentage of pg vg are you using sounds like a wicking problem I can run mine all day 11-12 watts no dry hits what so ever.also is this the new bvc coil?

Living the dream one nightmare at a time.

Last edited:

Slodog79

Member For 4 Years
Replace the coil again, sometimes you can get a bad pre made coil. The watts you are running should be fine, I would run my mini at 11 watts with a 1.5 ohm coil.

visionz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also have been getting a burnt taste I'm using a foggatti t22 with 26g kanthol, and silica U-Wick but my wick keeps burning. Runs about 1.5 ohms. Can't figure it out to save my life. And don't want to move to 400 mesh till i can get my vape set up properly with a regular wick.

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm having the same problem. It's never happened before but this is the first time I've had to replace my coil. Been using the original bvc coil since I got my eVic and full size nautilus on 10/3. I usually vape around 7-9 watts, 3.9-4.0 volts, and use 1.8 ohm attys. I know I screwed up when I accidentally took a hit after immediately putting in the new coil but I hear of ppl dry burning all the time without ruining their coils completely. Since taking that dry hit I've now been letting it sit in a full 5ml tank of MBV butterscotch juice for well over 20 minutes but still getting that disgusting burnt charcoal taste. I dropped the volts to 3.0 just in case. Any advice? I only have one new coil left so I'm trying to hold off on using it, at least until I've figured out what I'm doing wrong to prevent myself from losing yet another head.

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Me again, ok so I'm slowly trying to revive it by taking short slow hits at 3.0 volts, 5.2watts and at least it's producing vapor now, not much and it still tastes like butt hole but at least that means it's getting some juice inside the filler, correct?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm having the same problem. It's never happened before but this is the first time I've had to replace my coil. Been using the original bvc coil since I got my eVic and full size nautilus on 10/3. I usually vape around 7-9 watts, 3.9-4.0 volts, and use 1.8 ohm attys. I know I screwed up when I accidentally took a hit after immediately putting in the new coil but I hear of ppl dry burning all the time without ruining their coils completely. Since taking that dry hit I've now been letting it sit in a full 5ml tank of MBV butterscotch juice for well over 20 minutes but still getting that disgusting burnt charcoal taste. I dropped the volts to 3.0 just in case. Any advice? I only have one new coil left so I'm trying to hold off on using it, at least until I've figured out what I'm doing wrong to prevent myself from losing yet another head.

Once you burn the wick, a dry hit, it can take a few hits before the burnt wick taste goes away, even once it's primed good again. I just put up with the burnt taste for a few hits and the good flavor comes back.

It's like changing flavors. You have to vape through the old flavor before the new really kicks in.

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks Slodog! I've been thinking you're probably right. So how long do I need to let it sit before hitting it? I usually only wait a minute or two w my protank 2 but that's got wicks as opposed to the carto type filler in the bvc so I'm not sure how that may affect the priming time.

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks Time! Glad to hear I didn't completely screw it up. I was getting a bit worried. Should I stay at lower power or does it matter?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think it matters but I do the same thing, turn it down and work back up to my usual setting.

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, cool. I'll keep at it then. I've taken about 5 or so hits and no change but I think I read a guy say his took over 50 hits before it began to taste better. I'll post my end result, hopefully I won't hv to replace it altogether

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also like to shake the crap out of it.

I look for a bubble to come out of the bottom of the tank after a vape. If the bubble comes out and floats to the top after every vape, it's wicking good. No bubble means it's not wicking right and might not be primed. Seems kinda silly to vape and then watch for a bubble,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D But, if I'm seeing the bubble the nautilus is working very well for me.

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So funny you mentioned that bc I just figured out the same thing! And mine isn't producing a bubble every time. So now I'm wondering what to do...I've already taken the coil out and put it back a couple times to see if maybe it was too sealed off or something but no change. I did find this article, however. I tried blowing into it and I think I'm noticing a slightly better taste but it's still pretty cruddy.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415053073606.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1415053073606.png
    372.4 KB · Views: 8

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Dang Time, I think your shaking theory has proven to be the most successful ! It still has a ways to go but I can taste the flavor starting to come back a little at a time.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hope it's working for you now.

Yeah, if I'm not seeing a bubble, I shake until I get one. It almost always works for me.

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Right you are, Time! worked like a charm ! Thanks a ton! You saved me from wasting Lord knows how many coils ! I did have to keep at the shaking on and off for a while but it's finally back to my perfect vape now!

9c16803fd373503216a1a993f3038f0f.jpg

Southern Belle

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Does yours do that often? And how long have you had your Nautilus or been using the bvc coils instead of the BDC?

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once in awhile. My experience has been that if I let the juice get below the 1ml mark it wants to go dry on me. Changing coils it's slow to prime using a 50/50 mix.

I've only had it a month and have only changed coils once and I've never used the BDC coils. And it's my first "real" tank.

Galtman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does yours do that often? And how long have you had your Nautilus or been using the bvc coils instead of the BDC?
I've had my mini for three weeks, just changed my coil a couple days ago as I was losing flavor. I can vape it nearly dry without burning. I do get some rattlesnake, but if I fire it upside down for a few seconds it clears. Other than that no problems.

VU Sponsors