Not open for further replies.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
rquyYGh.jpg

http://www.v4p3r.com/calling-out-rip-trippers/

It seems as though Rip has been asking for money to provide reviews. Twisted420 has some inside info, and will be uploading a video with more info soon.

@VaporJoes @SMOKIE @TygerTyger

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's just dirty.

On a side note, love the guy's screen name that posted that info... blue screwdrivers lol.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
THEY DON'T PAY ME A DIME! I do this for you guys, because I love it!

(Watch the first couple minutes)

RoccoV

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great! A little entertainment for a snowy afternoon. Have at it folks. Enjoy the day!:cool:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'll be waiting for MORE info.

On one hand, I can't blame the guy wanting SOME kind of compensation for doing reviews for mod makers. Reason being, these reviews hold MUCH weight and influence people's decisions on buying something. So this IS marketing for these companies, marketing they should expect to pay for. Any other marketing costs money.

On the other hand, when compensating someone, their view is jaded. Money has entered their hands (or free trips to China) and they are compelled to give a positive review, where they may NOT have given it. We don't need jaded reviews.

In the same respect, camera and audio equipment cost money, and TIME has value as well.

Where do we really draw the line?

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll be waiting for MORE info.

On one hand, I can't blame the guy wanting SOME kind of compensation for doing reviews for mod makers. Reason being, these reviews hold MUCH weight and influence people's decisions on buying something. So this IS marketing for these companies, marketing they should expect to pay for. Any other marketing costs money.

On the other hand, when compensating someone, their view is jaded. Money has entered their hands (or free trips to China) and they are compelled to give a positive review, where they may NOT have given it. We don't need jaded reviews.

In the same respect, camera and audio equipment cost money, and TIME has value as well.

nicely said, freemind. frankly, I don't care if he gets paid for his reviews of a product or not. but yes, if one is getting compensated for reviewing a product, one should disclose that fact. I've watched a lot of his reviews, but I have never bought a product that he has featured--at least of the ones I've seen.lol So, maybe he's not doing that good of a job.:D The most useful thing that RIP has done for me is teach me how to wrap coils (especially nickel), set them on the deck of my rba, and thread my cotton wick.

I'll wait for all of the information to come in before making judgment.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I too, would want to KNOW if someone is getting paid, or receiving something for compensation for a review. One thing I LIKE about Grimm, is that he always says IF something was given to him for review. When you get something free, your expectations and your feelings about the item, are different.

For most anyone, you need to buy the things you want to review, when you start out. Nothing like going broke as hell buying new stuff all the time, just so you can gain popularity and views, ya know?

As these guys gain views and followers (that they built on their OWN), then why shouldn't they get compensated for their hard work? You don't get free work from other ad agencies or marketing firms. Somehow, I guess, some people think it's evil that a reviewer wants PAID for his time and efforts. I don't think it is, but I expect them to be HONEST about getting paid.

I am no follower of Rip. He irritates the hell out of me the way he hollers and talks. Same with Phat Lardo. Dude rambles on and on to infinity. Not an interesting person doing reviews, IMO. But I see nothing wrong with getting compensated, provided you are upfront and HONEST.

If you are caught lying, then you should be publically flogged.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media

We all see paid endorsers in advertisements every day, and there's nothing wrong with it. We all know and accept that these people are getting paid to do a commercial or whatever. Famous people lending their name and likeness for product endorsements is nothing new.

However, when you claim to be an independent reviewer and demand payment for your brand, you stop being a reviewer. The line is drawn at the point where you ask for compensation from a vendor and then present it as your opinion.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have watched Rip for a long time and always thought his reviews were funny and informative. I do not have a problem with him getting paid for reviews. What I DO have a problem with is him LYING TO OUR FACES about it and saying he doesn't. I unsubscribed his you tube page today. Nice knowing ya RIP but I do not give time to people who lie to me. It's too bad he had to go and tell everyone he isn't getting paid. If he was just honest about it I would still watch his reviews. If a reviewer can get paid for his/her time, all the power to them. Just do not Lie about it and expect we are all going to be ok with that.

Chainvapor :)

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have watched Rip for a long time and always thought his reviews were funny and informative. I do not have a problem with him getting paid for reviews. What I DO have a problem with is him LYING TO OUR FACES about it and saying he doesn't. I unsubscribed his you tube page today. Nice knowing ya RIP but I do not give time to people who lie to me. It's too bad he had to go and tell everyone he isn't getting paid. If he was just honest about it I would still watch his reviews. If a reviewer can get paid for his/her time, all the power to them. Just do not Lie about it and expect we are all going to be ok with that.

Chainvapor :)

How do you know he lied? This is all based off a couple of screen shots. Maybe it's a jealous reviewer who is trying to destroy him? I'm waiting until all of the information is in. RIP is denying the allegations. If he is lying, he's done.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
And that's the fallout from all of this, if it turns out to be true, @Chainvapor. The lying. Rip is clearly agitated in that video where he addressed being a paid endorser, because he knows it's wrong. That's a damaging credibility hit.

People watch YouTube videos because they're supposed to be independent. That premise is entirely flawed, but that's what the majority thinks. Subscribers want the "Every Man's" opinion, not some paid endorser.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sad, very, very sad indeed.

Makes me question if the reviews are honest at all.

I was once offered payment for a positive review and I told the company to go pound sand.

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How do you know he lied? This is all based off a couple of screen shots. Maybe it's a jealous reviewer who is trying to destroy him? I'm waiting until all of the information is in. RIP is denying the allegations. If he is lying, he's done.
If I find out he was not lying, then I will subscribe to his you tube channel again and watch his reviews. Honestly though, this has come up before. I hope he was not lying, I will come back and apologize if he is not getting paid.

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And that's the fallout from all of this, if it turns out to be true, @Chainvapor. The lying. Rip is clearly agitated in that video where he addressed being a paid endorser, because he knows it's wrong. That's a damaging credibility hit.

People watch YouTube videos because they're supposed to be independent. That premise is entirely flawed, but that's what the majority thinks. Subscribers want the "Every Man's" opinion, not some paid endorser.

lol. What the hell! Wouldn't you be agitated if someone had accused you of a wrong doing that would destroy your credibility... regardless if it is true or not? You're speculating and that has no credibility!

"People watch YouTube videos because they're supposed to be independent. That premise is entirely flawed, but that's what the majority thinks."

Really? That sounds like an elitist attitude. Who's the majority? I know you aren't talking about yourself. You've just condemned the majority of vapers here at VU. We are a bunch of idiots, but thank god for people like you who can save us from ourselves.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I'm allowed to speculate. You're also assuming that I don't have additional information.

And I haven't condemned anyone. YouTube wouldn't enjoy the popularity it has if it weren't for the Every Man opinion-giver. I'm not sure why that is such a revelation to you. There are homegrown reviewers on every topic from vaping to knitting.

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, as pointed out, one of the screen shots that was provided to prove RIP was on the take was about promoting an App. What's is so wrong with taking $$ to promote an App. Does that really affect his credibility?
ZwfKMIl.jpg

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't care if V4P3R and his gang wants to call me a troll for commenting on this thread, but I'm getting sick and tired of this tabloid journalism day after day. All this guy does is troll redditt and copy everything he sees in order to draw traffic into his site so that he can make money off of advertisements. Here's my take on this crapola:

http://vaporacle.blogspot.com/2015/02/is-rip-trippers-on-take.html

VaporRush

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm allowed to speculate. You're also assuming that I don't have additional information.

And I haven't condemned anyone. YouTube wouldn't enjoy the popularity it has if it weren't for the Every Man opinion-giver. I'm not sure why that is such a revelation to you. There are homegrown reviewers on every topic from vaping to knitting.

I didn't say you weren't allowed to speculate. I said that your speculation has no credibility. I didn't assume anything... I took you at your written word.

Sure you did. You said, "People watch YouTube videos because they're supposed to be independent. That premise is entirely flawed, but that's what the majority thinks."

end of conversation.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I didn't say you weren't allowed to speculate. I said that your speculation has no credibility. I didn't assume anything... I took you at your written word.

Sure you did. You said, "People watch YouTube videos because they're supposed to be independent. That premise is entirely flawed, but that's what the majority thinks."

end of conversation.

I happen to agree with him on that. Because most DO think that.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Odd how you think HE is trolling. Yet you "write" an article right after he does on the same subject.
That's how he produces content for his site. Doesn't matter though, no one reads it. He's still naive to the fact that every time he posts in my threads, all he does is boost my traffic. By riding on my coattails and then bitching about what I post all the time, he just becomes more and more irrelevant.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Odd how you think HE is trolling. Yet you "write" an article right after he does on the same subject.

What a buffoon.
Seriously? You think I'm THAT great of a writer that I can write that entire article in five minutes? I was on Reddit last night and have been following this thing just like he has. He doesn't own the rights to every controversy that pops up on Reddit even though he likes to believe he does.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
stats.PNG

And not that it's any of his business, but here are Vaporacles stats for the last hour.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Seriously? You think I'm THAT great of a writer that I can write that entire article in five minutes? I was on Reddit last night and have been following this thing just like he has. He doesn't own the rights to every controversy that pops up on Reddit even though he likes to believe he does.

So you condemn HIM for doing the identical thing you were doing....

Jesus fucking Christ. Weren't you calling him a hypocrite not that long ago? Dude, you are fucking delusional!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Irony:

1) Own a website that is used for self-published book promotion.
2) Let above site wallow in obscurity for almost a year with no updates.
3) Become insanely jealous of new blogger. Engage troll mode.
4) Start blogging by posting reaction pieces to V4P3R.com articles after the fact:
- - - Evolve e-liquid lawsuit
- - - We Are Vapers
- - - US Vaping Association Scam
- - - Parody book cover (from forum post)
- - - Indiana Advocacy
- - - Rip Tripper's Controversy
5) Post fake time stamps on blog posts to make it seem as though you were first.
6) Whine and post strawman arguments.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've had my say here. Bye.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Always the same whenever one of you posts the other is right behind it was kind of funny at first but it's getting sad now.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Always the same whenever one of you posts the other is right behind it was kind of funny at first but it's getting sad now.
Dude, it's like here in Chicago. We have the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times. They both report the same stories, usually from different perspectives. They aren't copying each other, the news is the news, and the vaping news is the vaping news. Of course, since we are both reporting the vaping news, our stories are going to be on similar topics and come out at about the same time (when the news is happening). My suggestion is either choose which one you want to follow or better yet, read both and make up your own mind based on both sides of the story. Now I'm out of here again before I get accused a trolling and spamming and all that good stuff.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
He's always the one behind, that's the thing. And then he gets sore when more people comment in my thread, and he just can't resist the urge to start stirring shit up again by posting here with his link as a cry for attention.

The guy is perfectly entitled to have a blog. It's pretty obvious that he mostly wants to react to things I post, and that's fine also. It's his useless whining and trolling that I can do without.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's not true. There have been two stories here were V4P3R came out with his AFTER I came out with mine. Sorry, I just don't like when he lies like that. I'll try to ignore him now. Peace.

CrazyVpr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's how he produces content for his site. Doesn't matter though, no one reads it. He's still naive to the fact that every time he posts in my threads, all he does is boost my traffic. By riding on my coattails and then bitching about what I post all the time, he just becomes more and more irrelevant.
He's a fucking hypocrite. HOW DARE YOU GET IDEAS FROM REDDIT, that's where he steals his ideas from. He's the tabloid hack accusing others of the same. Unbelievable.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dude just needs to learn to stand on his own instead of just trolling my content and then posting his strawman BS about it. It really doesn't matter anyway, because his whine posts are for pure entertainment value, and nothing more.

ummm. ok.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And this thread has gone to the dogs...

Still, I'm on the side that says that he wanted payment for the promotion of an APP. That is not the same as 'getting paid for good reviews'. If you dont think its ok to get paid for promotion, then, @V4P3R eMAG, I have a proposition for you: I too have a new app I am looking to launch, for the Win8.1/WP8.1 platform.. Would you be willing to help me promote it on you site and while on VU Live? I wont pay you though and if you refuse, or want money in exchange, I post screenshots calling you out. Deal?

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I wouldn't promote anything you have to offer, regardless of whether you were paying for it or not.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And this thread has gone to the dogs...

Still, I'm on the side that says that he wanted payment for the promotion of an APP. That is not the same as 'getting paid for good reviews'. If you dont think its ok to get paid for promotion, then, @V4P3R eMAG, I have a proposition for you: I too have a new app I am looking to launch, for the Win8.1/WP8.1 platform.. Would you be willing to help me promote it on you site and while on VU Live? I wont pay you though and if you refuse, or want money in exchange, I post screenshots calling you out. Deal?
Right! Forgot there was an actual topic here, before the dick measuring started.
I'm with you @Midniteoyl

Imo Rip can do whatever the hell he wants. It's a free country, he built a character for a YouTube show and people like watching him because he's entertaining and shows off some cool stuff on ocassion. Don't like him? Don't watch him. If he's making some money working with an app developer using HIS CHARACTER that he developed to market their product who the fuck cares?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Right! Forgot there was an actual topic here, before the dick measuring started.
I'm with you @Midniteoyl

Imo Rip can do whatever the hell he wants. It's a free country, he built a character for a YouTube show and people like watching him because he's entertaining and shows off some cool stuff on ocassion. Don't like him? Don't watch him. If he's making some money working with an app developer using HIS CHARACTER that he developed to market their product who the fuck cares?
Well, to be honest, not saying you received something for free or got paid to promote it can be illegal, depending. Not to mention unethical.. My problem is that the 'proof' is not about something he reviewed, but about something he was asked to promote and the deal was still being negotiated. As far as I know, he hasnt 'promoted' or 'reviewed' it yet as it was not launched yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors