Become a Patron!

Can I use a sub-ohm coil with a Sony VTC5 18650 battery?

I recently purchased the Vandy Vape Kylin M AIO 70w kit and I was wondering if the Sony VTC5 battery is safe to use with the 0.15ohm coils that come with it? The battery is 2600mah and rated at 20A. I'm new to vaping and don't want to blow my face off. Thanks in advance!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
If you're a person who chain vapes, I'd get a better battery. But I'm finding that it takes surprisingly little power to get a good vape from mesh coils, As long as you don't push it too hard, and you stay under about 45w, you should be ok. 45w should give you a good vape on 0.15 mesh; in fact, if you're new to vaping, you might want to start out at 30 or 35w.

This is also provided you got that battery from a reputable source and you absolutely KNOW that it's a genuine Sony VTC5. (Your local b&m vape store is often NOT a reputable source, and eBay for sure is not.) Where did you buy the battery? Does it look exactly like this?

1605115352033.png

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm new to vaping and don't want to blow my face off.
Excellent!!!

We're not new to vaping and we don't want you to blow your face off either :D

Just to put your mind reasonably at rest, serious accidents with vaping equipment are pretty rare and most of the time the result of somebody's spectacular bone headery.

Though every man made device is imperfect and subject to failure, the manufacturers don't want you to blow your face off either.

Not because they care about your face, but because they care about their money. If their products gained the reputation of doubling as face removal apparatuses, that would be very bad for business. Therefore the recognized name brands go way outta their way to ensure that their equipment leaves your face intact.

Vandy Vape is one of those companies.

As @nadalama is saying, there's some basic things every vaper needs to learn, but especially with regulated and system protected devices like yours is, it's not that much and it's not that tough.

With a known authentic VTC5 in good condition, there's no need for you to be clenching your eyes shut and hoping for the best every time you push the button. That's no fun.

If you want to buy yourself a little headroom and know that you have authentic batteries in good condition, grab a couple of THESE or THESE .

Do yourself a favor and keep at least one spare battery and a halfway decent charger like THIS.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
As long as your VTC5 is authentic, you can go about as high in wattage as your 70watter because of it's [Mooch] rated 20A. Since some manuf'rs inflate their batteries specs, Battery Mooch is the world's most trusted tester of batteries vapers use. Here's one of his posts on your VTC5, and he has other posts, vids, blogs on everything vape batteries. (He also explains how much wattage you can safely vape based on the available amps.)

Using this info, and once you know what your wattage range is, you can determine what battery based on run time is best for you or a particular set up. I use 4 different types of batteries, based on the set up I'm using. I buy from LiionWholesale.com

Here's a little more:

Also, welcome to the Underground ! :cheers:

Last edited:
If you're a person who chain vapes, I'd get a better battery. But I'm finding that it takes surprisingly little power to get a good vape from mesh coils, As long as you don't push it too hard, and you stay under about 45w, you should be ok. 45w should give you a good vape on 0.15 mesh; in fact, if you're new to vaping, you might want to start out at 30 or 35w.

This is also provided you got that battery from a reputable source and you absolutely KNOW that it's a genuine Sony VTC5. (Your local b&m vape store is often NOT a reputable source, and eBay for sure is not.) Where did you buy the battery? Does it look exactly like this?

View attachment 172937
Thank you so much for the information! I bought my battery from Element Vape's website and my battery looks identical to the one you showed.

Excellent!!!

We're not new to vaping and we don't want you to blow your face off either :D

Just to put your mind reasonably at rest, serious accidents with vaping equipment are pretty rare and most of the time the result of somebody's spectacular bone headery.

Though every man made device is imperfect and subject to failure, the manufacturers don't want you to blow your face off either.

Not because they care about your face, but because they care about their money. If their products gained the reputation of doubling as face removal apparatuses, that would be very bad for business. Therefore the recognized name brands go way outta their way to ensure that their equipment leaves your face intact.

Vandy Vape is one of those companies.

As @nadalama is saying, there's some basic things every vaper needs to learn, but especially with regulated and system protected devices like yours is, it's not that much and it's not that tough.

With a known authentic VTC5 in good condition, there's no need for you to be clenching your eyes shut and hoping for the best every time you push the button. That's no fun.

If you want to buy yourself a little headroom and know that you have authentic batteries in good condition, grab a couple of THESE or THESE .

Do yourself a favor and keep at least one spare battery and a halfway decent charger like THIS.
Thank god I don't have to worry about my face melting off anytime soon. I appreciate all the information you posted as well as the links to reputable battery's and charger. The current charger I purchased and use is the Efest PRO C2 2-Bay Smart Battery Charger. I will definitely be purchasing batteries from LiionWholesale. For future reference what battery would you recommend for the type of mod I'm running? The VTC5A or the P26A battery? Thank you in advance!

As long as your VTC5 is authentic, you can go about as high in wattage as your 70watter because of it's [Mooch] rated 20A. Since some manuf'rs inflate their batteries specs, Battery Mooch is the world's most trusted tester of batteries vapers use. Here's one of his posts on your VTC5, and he has other posts, vids, blogs on everything vape batteries. (He also explains how much wattage you can safely vape based on the available amps.)

Using this info, and once you know what your wattage range is, you can determine what battery based on run time is best for you or a particular set up. I use 4 different types of batteries, based on the set up I'm using. I buy from LiionWholesale.com

Here's a little more:

Also, welcome to the Underground ! :cheers:
I absolutely loved the video you posted. It's very informative and has helped ease my mind immensely. Also, thank you for welcoming me to the underground and informing me about proper usage. ??

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank god I don't have to worry about my face melting off anytime soon.
Nah. Just be sensible and follow the instructions. You'll learn everything you need to know hanging around here. Of all the things your face may have to worry about, no need to add vaping.

The current charger I purchased and use is the Efest PRO C2 2-Bay Smart Battery Charger.
A perfectly good halfway decent charger. Check., That's covered.

I will definitely be purchasing batteries from LiionWholesale.
The owner is a member here and KNOWS what he is doin. It's not like you can't get good batteries anywhere else, or that the one's you have are necessarily no good. It's just that if you get them from an established outfit that has the connections and expertise specific to the battery industry, you'll know what you're getting for sure.

For future reference what battery would you recommend for the type of mod I'm running? The VTC5A or the P26A battery? Thank you in advance!
If you stay right where you are in your vape setup, VTC5s (and some others) will work. What I meant about "buying some headroom" was just that VTC5As or P26As are rated a bit higher in their capability so if you decided you wanted to try something more powerful, they would leave you that option without having to buy new batteries.

There are certainly subgroups in here, but vapers fall generally into 2 categories.

Enthusiast/hobbyists who are in it for the fun as much as quitting tobacco and those who just vape because it keeps them from smoking.

The former, like myself, may have dozens of different setups that require different batteries.

The latter usually have one or two (or three) that they like and therefore just need the batteries fitting for those setups. Or they may have devices with internal batteries and not have to think about batteries at all.

The VTC5A and P26A are good "all round" 18650 batteries. Meaning they will be safe and give good overall performance in almost every device that uses 18650 batteries.

If somebody figures out that they are going to live in a certain type of setup, then there might be batteries that are more ideal for that setup. Meaning better battery life or a higher amp limit if somebody wants to go for high power vaping.

I hope all of that makes sense :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As a quick rule of thumb to calculate battery safety for a regulated mod, you can just take the true CDR (true = as reported by Mooch on his test results pages, list of recommended batteries, and battery ratings and performance charts), which for the Sony/Murata VTC5 equals 20A, and multiply it by three, and then finally multiply that by the number of batteries that the regulated mod uses. This will give you the highest wattage number that is recommended to stay at or below. So, for your single 18650 battery regulated mod with a VTC5, up to 60 watts is still called reasonably safe. But as others have stated, if you take the wattage up that high you'll get better battery performance from choosing the Molicel P26A instead.

Battery performance on a regulated mod is (almost completely) determined by how long it will take before you need to change out the batteries putting them back on the charger, i.e. how much energy the batteries can deliver for how you choose to vape. Mooch these days includes energy ratings (Wh numbers) in his charts and also translates them to number of puffs equivalent to how many puffs an average vaper can get. This number not only depends on what battery you choose, but also heavily depends how hard you push the battery. Pushing the battery harder = pushing it closer to the CDR of the battery with the CDR being the maximum recommended limit that the battery can handle reasonably safe. The harder you push it, the faster it heats up, the faster it ages especially if letting battery temperature reach up higher. But at the same time also like I said pushing it harder also makes it run less efficiently i.e. wasting more energy inside the battery. And pushing close to 60 watts on a single P26A battery adds a little bit extra safety margin versus going for the VTC5 instead, as the P26A is a 25 amp battery meaning the P26A can handle up to 75 watts versus only 60. The reason why this extra safety margin can be worth is actually twofold. Firstly, letting batteries run less warm generally makes them safer, as there is no such thing as "perfectly safe"─despite running the battery at the CDR is still called reasonably safe. Secondly, going for a battery that has a higher CDR gives the opportunity to later decide to maybe bump the wattage up higher.

You want to outweigh price differences between different batteries in cohort with all these various pros and cons. One thing to remember is that a cheaper battery isn't always cheaper in the long run, as battery aging also plays a part, and, the need to recharge a battery more frequently makes it not only less convenient to use, but causes faster battery aging also in addition to that─and there will be extra wear and tear caused on both the mod and the charger as a result from more frequently swapping the batteries.

cmccarthy7128

Member For 3 Years
VU Patreon
What battery would you suggest for using at higher wattage? Like over 100? I got a Vapoesso Giant Dual Tank. It can go up to 160., I have Samsung 30 Q. Sony Murata Vct5 and Molicel P26A and some other that are similar. Will these do it?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What battery would you suggest for using at higher wattage? Like over 100? I got a Vapoesso Giant Dual Tank. It can go up to 160., I have Samsung 30 Q. Sony Murata Vct5 and Molicel P26A and some other that are similar. Will these do it?

If you're going to be vaping at 100 watts, of those three, the P26As are definitely the way to go. For reasons, I don't have time to explain at the moment :)

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

It depends. Dual battery the Molicel P26A can handle up to 150 watts (75 each). But the closer you get to 150 watts, the faster they heat up so, if they get fairly warm due to how you vape, then if accelerated battery aging is part of your concern, consider getting the Samsung 20S instead. Else, you'd need to take longer pauses to let them cool sufficiently back down again in such a way that their temperature doesn't keep on rising above the point where the accelerated aging starts to exceed whatever the level that you still find acceptable. Either that or be willing to buy new batteries more often, or maybe consider the more viable option of going for a triple 18650 battery or dual 21700 battery mod if you want to free yourself from having to choose between all these different tradeoffs altogether, as the vaping time you'll get from choosing to use dual Samsung 20S batteries is limited enough that you might actually call it very poor.

VU Sponsors