Become a Patron!

Can you make your own favor concentrates????

MistaKuraudo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know a lot of people who do tobacco extracts. I've looked into make long natural extracts, but the only one I've tried is anise. Even after a month the flavor wasn't as strong as I'd hoped it would be though, so I can't really help in that department. If you're looking into tobacco extracts, there's a ton of tutorials on YouTube. I never wanted to try fruits and such just because of the sugars in them.

brewersvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya true, that is why I'm trying to reach out and pick the brains of us vapors. There has to be a way to make favor concentrates. Such as"5pawns-steam factory-suicide bunny-etc" Allot of there flavors are done in house.

MistaKuraudo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure there is if you can seperate a good amount of the sugar out of it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be down to try and do it though.

brewersvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Maybe like how moonshine is made??? I Don't know, just a thought. Time for bed obviously!!!! :)

Brewer's Vapes-Ptld Or

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thing with flavour concentrates is many taste awful at the best of times - and that's with flavours that a manufacture has spent a lot of time and skill developing in laboratory conditions

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://chemistry.about.com/od/G_Chemistry_Terms/fl/Glycerite-Definition.htm
when using the glycerite method for flavor extraction the longer it sits (steeps is one good way to look at it) the more flavor is pulled out.
http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/977495/homemade-flavored-extracts
The reason most make companies use alcohol is cause it renders faster than glycerin (usage of alcohol to render flavor makes it a tincture).
Pg is a little quicker cause it is thin Vg is the longest process cause it is thick. Yes you can speed it up with the application of heat but that only starts the process faster it will take time and patience to make the glycerite over the tincture (alcohol based).
I haven't been able to start my experiments with these techniques yet but hopefully this helps explain it some. Happy Vaping All.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have Christmas cake concentrate. It took three months before it was vapable but now it tastes exactly like Christmas cake. It totally mind boggles me how they can actually make a concentrate that tastes like that?

brewersvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey Bahas!!!! Thanks, it's somewhere to start at least. I'll be letting ya know how my venture hours along the process.

Brewer's Vapes-Ptld Or

MacFalic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Speaking of flavors and flavor concentrates, I understand not putting alcohol into the e-juice. What I am wondering is if I boil off the alcohol from a whiskey would that work or be okay?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doesn't it workout expensive using alcohol? It would over here. There's like 90% tax on tobacco and spirits

MacFalic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In a way it could very well be expensive. What I have in mind is to take a bit of my favorite single malt Scotch and render it down to just flavor. That being Tomintoul, a Speyside with almost no peat taste or smell. It runs from $57 to $89 a bottle. I do want the taste so I figure it worth the cost.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Speaking of flavors and flavor concentrates, I understand not putting alcohol into the e-juice. What I am wondering is if I boil off the alcohol from a whiskey would that work or be okay?

To be truthful there is no way to eliminate all alcohol from anything from food or otherwise. There will always be residual alcohol in the final product while it may be minimal to almost nonexistant it will always hold some level left. I know of many people who are ex-drinkers and choose to not use anything that uses alcohol no matter the amount in it because they choose not to drink so the alcohol(tincture) extract may not be the way for them to go about it. I would suggest the glycerite method even though it will take longer to extract there is no alcohol used in the extraction process it just takes a lot longer to do. As I said earlier if you are going the glycerite method of extraction minimum is one month to start the process with pg almost 2 with vg because of the thickness but the end extract has a shelf life of 1-5 years depending which site you read.

MacFalic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank you. I'll check into that. I did get a bit anxious and used about a shot and a half. Burned it until it would no longer burn.
I don't understand how the glycerite method could be used to extract alcohol. If you sealed the jar, in the end you still would have alcohol. Then there is the question of just what transfers to the glyceride solution. You could not strain it off/out. You would end up with a diluted solution of pg/vg, water, and whiskey.

MacFalic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oops, yes the result of the 'burn off' was quite good. Not a strong flavor but one that mellows out the tobacco blend I'm working with.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oops, yes the result of the 'burn off' was quite good. Not a strong flavor but one that mellows out the tobacco blend I'm working with.
I meant either the glycerite method or the alcohol method my fault in not differentiating the two as separate processes.
The alcohol(tincture) method is one way to extract a flavor. The glycerite method utilizes the vg and water or pg and water to extract flavor. I'll look around I forgot the measurement needed for the glycerite method, and when I find it I'll post it here.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glycerites are made the same way as alcohol based tinctures, except vegetable glycerin is used instead of alcohol. Use a ratio of 60% glycerin and 40% water. Be sure you use food grade glycerin. If using 100 proof (50% alcohol) or 80 proof (40% alcohol) mix in a ratio of 60% alcohol and 40% distilled water when making herbal extracts (also known as tinctures). Mix the alcohol with the water before adding the beans. So all in all it will be a ratio of 6:4 or simplified down 3parts alcohol (or vg or pg) to 2 parts water. It is also recommended that either alcohol or glycerin( VG or PG both food grade) 2-6 months of steeping but can be used in 4-5 weeks but it will not have the full kick. Also a side note you can strain the solid from the tincture or glycerite after the 4-5 week period or wait till 6 months to strain it out personal preference/how fast it is used.
It is highly recommend when using herbal tinctures made with 60% alcohol within two to five years. For 35-40% alcohol based tinctures suggestions state use them within 6 months to a year. For a glycerite made with 60% glycerin, use them within a year. If you are using a lower amount of glycerin, use them within a few months. Shelf life is only an estimate and they may last longer or shorter than the stated times (shelf life greatly depends on how they are handled and stored).

http://www.allnaturalbeauty.com/art...lla-glycerite-and-vanilla-infused-oil-recipes
is where I got the info for shelf life it also explains a little more in detail how to make these using vanilla as the base.

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/how-to/Make_a_Tincture?id=F84D49nB this explains a tincture (alcohol) with the use of heat
http://www.bulkherbstore.com/how-to/Make_a_Glycerite explains a glycerite with use of heat

http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/977495/homemade-flavored-extracts another with different bases for tinctures(alcohol)

But both of these ways once understood can be used with fruits, berries, nuts, herbs, et al to make different extracts.
Hope this clears it up a little more.

MacFalic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Actually it kind of proves the point above. All the methods you cite are designed to extract flavor from a solid of some sort. That would be great if one wanted a coffee, or vanilla, or herb extract. To make a tincture you in fact use more alcohol.

What I have is a liquid. A quantity of single malt Scotch. The Lord's own blessing. I wish to add this as a flavor to my tobacco brew. Other than burning off as much alcohol as possible, I don't see a way to properly extract the flavor. This method works as there are e-juices that use small amount of alcohol. The problem with this method is that the flavor is not strong. The only solution seems to use larger quantities of Scotch to provide a small amount of concentrated flavor.

Any help toward this goal would be greatly appreciated.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well heating it into a syrup and then taking that and adding it to the glycerin should work pretty well or seeing as it is an alcohol it could in theory be added to your mix in it's syrup form.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you boil the alcohol out of the scotch, aren't you left with a sugary suryp? How do you get rid of the sugar?

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you boil the alcohol out of the scotch, aren't you left with a sugary suryp? How do you get rid of the sugar?
Not sure to be perfectly honest. You may need to use a micromesh sieve by pushing the syrup through to try to pull out some of the sugar but that is only a theory. I would think there isn't a way to extract the sugars out or it is a process a company can afford that the normal person can't.

MacFalic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Actually the liquid I that resulted was a thin concentrate of the Scotch. I would imagine that sugars would vary per liquor.

A long while back, vaping wise, I added some Drambuie to a mixture of e-juice. I used it in an RSST. I was using the thicker 3mm steel 7x7 rope. That is how I found that rope will wick anything. The taste was quite good. Sweet Whiskey and tobacco.

If anyone were to try this WARNING, the rope gets very hot and retains the heat. Do not let it rest on the tank!

p.s. I had forgotten about this until I cleaned out my vaping tool and supply box.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Even if there are trace amounts of sugar, It's going to build up on the coil and give a burnt taste. Every liquor including scotch have a lot of sugar. I'm not even sure if its safe to vape trace amounts of sugar.

MacFalic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That is true. Carbon does build up on the coil. I had to clean it every other day of heavy use. As such, avoided the burnt taste. That is the best thing about the genny atomizers. The coil is easily accessible.

I can only verify for myself, that I received no harm from that sugar rich juice.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well to be honest there are many eliquids have sugar in them to increase sweetness so the sugar from a condensed liquor would be no different. Coils get crusty just the nature of the beast if you clean your coils periodically it should be a moot point.

M

maddvaper

Essiential Oils.A .1 of a ml to 10 mls pg,shake and steep 3 days then mix at 10-20 % like reg flavoring.Makes good juice with the use of no alcohol.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not sure to be perfectly honest. You may need to use a micromesh sieve by pushing the syrup through to try to pull out some of the sugar but that is only a theory. I would think there isn't a way to extract the sugars out or it is a process a company can afford that the normal person can't.

Zeolite 3A Molecular Sieve. They use this to refine Ethenol to 95%-99% to mix with gasoline and burn in cars. There maybe other size molecular sieves also. I am not sure if this would also extract the flavoring from the ethanol? However it can be regenerated by heating it so you maybe able to heat the zeolite and condense the flavors from within? Above my knowledge, but a place to start.
It is basically like little beads of ceramic/stone that have certain size pores sructures to absorb molecules bigger than the ethanol. pm me if you want a contact.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is a very interesting thread, its great to see interest on this subject.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doesn't it workout expensive using alcohol? It would over here. There's like 90% tax on tobacco and spirits
I just bought a "fifth" of pure grain alcohol and it cost me 15.00 I can make 20 gallons for about 35.00. But it's not worth the risk of getting caught by the man. The gov'ment don't like their source of money threatened by anything.

Taajsgpm

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone want to share how to make your own flavor concentrates. Lets see if/who knows or has best method
I ike using smooth tobaccos with pretty much anything minty or fruity

VapeQueenMT

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw on a blog or someplace (I am reading so much on diy I can't keep track) about making a coffee extract. Can't remember where I saved it from so sorry to whoever made it initially! A heaping tablespoon of freshly ground coffee in 15ml - 25ml of PG mixed in a glass jar then heated in a simmering water bath for about 20 minutes, then filtered yields a very strong coffee extract. Mix about 2% - 10% in e-juice for a very fresh tasting coffee that doesn't taste burnt like many coffee flavourings. It really is a good extract. So that got me thinking about tea. So I did the same thing using three tea bags in the PG. I made some christmas tea ejuice that has been a hit with all my friends. Not sure if it is the best thing to be vaping so maybe someone here can let me know!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some guy figured out how to make powdered alcohol & they already want it outlawed because Kids can get ahold of it. Had a recipe in my head, but NO, . News tip Idiots, Kids can get anything anyway, I know, I was one. I like everclear to thin my juice for different flavors.

Actually it kind of proves the point above. All the methods you cite are designed to extract flavor from a solid of some sort. That would be great if one wanted a coffee, or vanilla, or herb extract. To make a tincture you in fact use more alcohol.

What I have is a liquid. A quantity of single malt Scotch. The Lord's own blessing. I wish to add this as a flavor to my tobacco brew. Other than burning off as much alcohol as possible, I don't see a way to properly extract the flavor. This method works as there are e-juices that use small amount of alcohol. The problem with this method is that the flavor is not strong. The only solution seems to use larger quantities of Scotch to provide a small amount of concentrated flavor.

Any help toward this goal would be greatly appreciated.
I was thanking of trying to make a tequila flavor by bringing it to a soft boil till the alcohol disapates then adding it to pg. I haven't tried it yet but will share the results when I do.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thanking of trying to make a tequila flavor by bringing it to a soft boil till the alcohol disapates then adding it to pg. I haven't tried it yet but will share the results when I do.
Alcohol makes a recipe better, lungs don't deal well with liquids like water. Alch atomizes into vapor water don't.

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
V/V extraction is another way to 'move' soluble elements from one to another. One polar, one non-polar. (via Separation Funnel)

Although it requires using a still (condenser) to get rid of the solvent. You could boil it off, but Ethanol has a few uses.

And most non-polar solvents are 'dangerous' Diethyl Ether is the most common one.

Incoming! Salvia eJuice ... lol

I made a cup of coffee, put it in my distiller, got distilled water with old coffee taste, added 10% to VG and vaped it. Could not taste the coffee. I don't think it is done like that.. Will try some real heavy coffee tomorrow.. Anyhow using distilled water would not harm, remember water is not only water. Once a year I forget to time the distiller, the leftover in the distiller is black then.. If anybody want's to boil of alcohol, remember you need approx 5 hours fluid in the open, temperature below 100C or you boil the water out as well.

I ran a few stills for years. Both pot stills and column stills. If there is a way to extract my own flavours then I might fire them up again.
From memory:
A pot still will grab whatever flavour is in the still, absinthe for example is made this way. A column fractional still will give a stronger alc% with less flavours but seeing as you're able to seperate all the different fractions in the alc you'll be able to get certain flavours at different temps.
During your different cuts for both Stills:
Foreshots down the drain as they're awful and dangerous
Heads contain lots of flavours, you'll have to play about with them to seperate the nice ones.
Body is quite flavourless
Tails are tasty at the beginning then fade into a awful damp cardboarb taste, down the drain..
So as the distillate starts to flow, throw Foreshots, keep Heads in small jars to seperate individual flavours and the same with Tails until flavour starts to pong.
Not sure if you can store the tasty distillate with pg/vg for a few months then drive the low boiling point alc off by simmering in water bath. Sounds doable.
The sugar, colour and some flavour in whisky/bourbon comes from the oak barrels its stored in. Not sure about extracting those sugars, sorry.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ran a few stills for years. Both pot stills and column stills. If there is a way to extract my own flavours then I might fire them up again.

Welcome to the Forum!

Until I can't buy flavors, distillation is not something I'm going to do. I can see it as a fun hobby for some.

Ron
---
"You can tell it's good if you light it and a blue flame comes up; that means it's good moonshine and it won't make you go blind."- Johnny Knoxville

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I would be extremely careful and only do it if you know exactly what the end result would be. I remember reading a flavor art lab test that showed vaping homemade flavoring from coffee grounds and bean were actually far more harmful than cigarettes, cant remember the how and whys. Ill try to find it. after I read that though I decided to stop trying to make my own extracts,

http://chemistry.about.com/od/G_Chemistry_Terms/fl/Glycerite-Definition.htm
when using the glycerite method for flavor extraction the longer it sits (steeps is one good way to look at it) the more flavor is pulled out.
http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/977495/homemade-flavored-extracts
The reason most make companies use alcohol is cause it renders faster than glycerin (usage of alcohol to render flavor makes it a tincture).
Pg is a little quicker cause it is thin Vg is the longest process cause it is thick. Yes you can speed it up with the application of heat but that only starts the process faster it will take time and patience to make the glycerite over the tincture (alcohol based).
I haven't been able to start my experiments with these techniques yet but hopefully this helps explain it some. Happy Vaping All.

Hi there. I was wondering would it be save to use 99.9% food grade isopropyl to exstract flavours? I would ensure I boiled it all away before vaping?

Does anyone want to share how to make your own flavor concentrates. Lets see if/who knows or has best method
I found a method to make extract i used vodka half a cup of strawberry into a 250ml jar after it sits ill add vg .when i am ready to try it i will need a cheese cloth i think vodka no different from pg at least its not posion
Anyone have an opinion on this

Count Vapula

Member For 4 Years
I found while making my stevia extract from organic leaf, that you can reduce the alcohol then add PG. It's BP is so high that you will indeed boil off the remaining water and alcohol first.

The issue with sugar in this thread is definitely a deal breaker for many raw material extractions.

Same with the old spice extractions that I did. There's either harsh oils or sugars. Oils/waxes at least can be removed by freezing, as many solvents have very low freezing points... but the oils are also what carries the punch in spices.

You would still end up with a lot of water, though evaporating that should be fairly simple as well.
What you really need is a still from a chemistry set or some other way to control the temperature very carefully.
Frankly, I can't imagine want to make a vape flavor that basically 'oak barrel', but agave extract might give a favorable flavor similar to tequila.
I guess it all depends on the ingredients that went into the mash.

Well to be honest there are many eliquids have sugar in them to increase sweetness so the sugar from a condensed liquor would be no different. Coils get crusty just the nature of the beast if you clean your coils periodically it should be a moot point.
I thought the flavors used aspartame, saccharine, or sucrolose as sweetners.
Though, I'm fairly certain that all of these things are have carbon in their chemical structures, just as propol glycol and glycerin are basically carbohydrates. Now that I think about it, there are likely and number of different combinations of sweetners used by different companies to achieve different ends.
In my experience the best way to avoid carbon accumulates is the control the temperature, but that is another extremely complex topic altogether.

I found while making my stevia extract from organic leaf, that you can reduce the alcohol then add PG. It's BP is so high that you will indeed boil off the remaining water and alcohol first.

The issue with sugar in this thread is definitely a deal breaker for many raw material extractions.

Same with the old spice extractions that I did. There's either harsh oils or sugars. Oils/waxes at least can be removed by freezing, as many solvents have very low freezing points... but the oils are also what carries the punch in spices.
Did you find that carbon accumulation was significantly worse with the stevia and spice flavors you prepared when compared to the more common manufactured flavor concentrates?

I found a method to make extract i used vodka half a cup of strawberry into a 250ml jar after it sits ill add vg .when i am ready to try it i will need a cheese cloth i think vodka no different from pg at least its not posion
Anyone have an opinion on this
PG and VG are both just carbohydrate molecules, as is alcohol. I don't think there's a great difference between how they are used in the body...the obvious exception being ethel alcohol which is an unqualified poison.
The real health concern is that our lungs weren't designed to accommodate these substances - especially when vaporized at high temperatures.
So- if you're really worried about the damage you are doing to your body...

From memory:
A pot still will grab whatever flavour is in the still, absinthe for example is made this way. A column fractional still will give a stronger alc% with less flavours but seeing as you're able to seperate all the different fractions in the alc you'll be able to get certain flavours at different temps.
During your different cuts for both Stills:
Foreshots down the drain as they're awful and dangerous
Heads contain lots of flavours, you'll have to play about with them to seperate the nice ones.
Body is quite flavourless
Tails are tasty at the beginning then fade into a awful damp cardboarb taste, down the drain..
So as the distillate starts to flow, throw Foreshots, keep Heads in small jars to seperate individual flavours and the same with Tails until flavour starts to pong.
Not sure if you can store the tasty distillate with pg/vg for a few months then drive the low boiling point alc off by simmering in water bath. Sounds doable.
The sugar, colour and some flavour in whisky/bourbon comes from the oak barrels its stored in. Not sure about extracting those sugars, sorry.
Managing the temperature the distill the desired oils from the mash (or whatever the next step down would be called) seems like quite the challenge. Would it be possible to extract different quantities of the oils to get more or less flavorful alcohol from identical ingredients? If I understand correctly the concentration of flavor falls off as you distill repeated yields of alcohol from the same source.
If that's the case, is there some means to distill a much more flavorful first batch than common distilling practice would yield?

VU Sponsors