Become a Patron!

Cap's Super Sweet Not Sweet Enough!

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just kidding. Man, there is no lie in the name of that additive.

I never used to use any sweeteners in my mixes. Getting back into DIY I researched new flavors and ways of doing it as I needed a refresher on some things. I was pointed to the 'Noted' show on YouTube and it was there I learned about using sweeteners. Then I saw on AllTheFlavors.com it was used in 42104 recipes. Could I have been missing a key ingredient all this time?

Even at 1 drop per ML can be too much for me. I now start at 1 drop per 30ML and will have to dilute it for use in my 10ml test bottle. Super Sweet can help bring some mixes alive, but I am looking into less sweet additives for when just a tad is needed.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Just kidding. Man, there is no lie in the name of that additive.

I never used to use any sweeteners in my mixes. Getting back into DIY I researched new flavors and ways of doing it as I needed a refresher on some things. I was pointed to the 'Noted' show on YouTube and it was there I learned about using sweeteners. Then I saw on AllTheFlavors.com it was used in 42104 recipes. Could I have been missing a key ingredient all this time?

Even at 1 drop per ML can be too much for me. I now start at 1 drop per 30ML and will have to dilute it for use in my 10ml test bottle. Super Sweet can help bring some mixes alive, but I am looking into less sweet additives for when just a tad is needed.
Marshmallow can be a sweetener. Just don’t use it too high or it will mute.

Meringue, too.

OOO Powdered Sugar.

FLV Caramel is more like brown sugar, to me.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have the first 2 and still need to get a caramel. I do have TFA Brown Sugar for when I get deeper into the Bakery category.
Seeing all the cheesecake recipes has me wondering what that is all about too. The idea of vaping cake and other bakery flavors has me excited.
I am still dabbling with the marshmallow flavor. I saw OOO Powdered Sugar last time I was flavor shopping. I was still new to the whole added sweetener world at the time and wasn't sure if it would be sweet enough. Now I am thinking it might be just right.
Thank you for the suggestions.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the first 2 and still need to get a caramel. I do have TFA Brown Sugar for when I get deeper into the Bakery category.
Seeing all the cheesecake recipes has me wondering what that is all about too. The idea of vaping cake and other bakery flavors has me excited.
I am still dabbling with the marshmallow flavor. I saw OOO Powdered Sugar last time I was flavor shopping. I was still new to the whole added sweetener world at the time and wasn't sure if it would be sweet enough. Now I am thinking it might be just right.
I've tried most of the sweeteners and I've found Sugar Daddy to be the cleanest and most realistic. It doesn't gunk coils like SS and is about half the strength of SS.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

In my opinion, OOO Powdered Sugar is a MUST if you're mixing cake-type bakeries. Oddly enough, it is important for the flavor of "golden crust" that is a normal part of yellow or white cake.

I also like marshmallow as a sweetener. If you want to go REALLY light, go with FW Marshmallow. The best, though, imo is FA Marshmallow.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I had read a few good reviews at different sites about Purilum Marshmallow while going semi-crazy flavor shopping at River Supply recently. Purilum is a new brand to me. The smell and back-of-the-hand taste test was yummy. I am still studying when it is best to use marshmallow and how much. I dislike having to fix muted flavors.
OOO Powdered Sugar is a MUST
Well, now I'm sold on that flavor. Thank you for your reply.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I had read a few good reviews at different sites about Purilum Marshmallow while going semi-crazy flavor shopping at River Supply recently. Purilum is a new brand to me. The smell and back-of-the-hand taste test was yummy. I am still studying when it is best to use marshmallow and how much. I dislike having to fix muted flavors.

Well, now I'm sold on that flavor. Thank you for your reply.

OOO Powdered Sugar is good in cakes at 1 to 1.5%. FA Marshmallow doesn't mute at up to 1% as a sweetener, and can go a bit higher than that in mixes like S'mores where there actually needs to be a marshmallow flavor and a light, dry-ish texture. FW Marshmallow is about half as strong as FA, just as a point of reference.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
FA Marshmallow doesn't mute at up to 1% as a sweetener,
I bought Purilum Marshmallow because I didn't have that flavor, I didn't read any bad reviews and it was on sale for a dollar something.
I'm trying to stay away from buying multi-brands of niche flavors. I have yet to see a recipe with two or more brands of marshmallows used. I may try FA marshmallow when I run out of my 15ml of Purilum.
Sugar Daddy to be the cleanest and most realistic
I did some more reading about that flavor. I will switch to Sugar Daddy when I run out of Caps Super Sweet, which could be a long time. Super Sweet isn't a bad sweetener in mixes of 20ml or more. One drop in my 10ml test bottle was too much for me.

I don't see Cotton Candy used as much as years ago when it was the hot sweetener to use. I may give EM a try.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I bought Purilum Marshmallow because I didn't have that flavor, I didn't read any bad reviews and it was on sale for a dollar something.
I'm trying to stay away from buying multi-brands of niche flavors. I have yet to see a recipe with two or more brands of marshmallows used. I may try FA marshmallow when I run out of my 15ml of Purilum.

I did some more reading about that flavor. I will switch to Sugar Daddy when I run out of Caps Super Sweet, which could be a long time. Super Sweet isn't a bad sweetener in mixes of 20ml or more. One drop in my 10ml test bottle was too much for me.

I don't see Cotton Candy used as much as years ago when it was the hot sweetener to use. I may give EM a try.
Hi. Why not just make up some diluted Cap SS in various levels. 5 ml pg with 5 ml SS etc.
Used Purilum a lot but not available here anymore, have just 10ml left. Its just a slightly weaker version of Cap. I use 3 drops, my taste, of Cap per 30 ml mix. To get the exact same sweet from Purilm I use 4 drops per 30 ml.
Its the same ingredient just a tad weaker per drop.
Marshmallows seriously mute many flavours and as much as I like them, Marshmallows, iv in recent times really dialled back my use of them. From 80% use to about 10% now. Of times not percentage. To be honest I struggled to get any sweet out of their use at all. Read so much on the net about Marshmallow as sweetener but to me I never experienced it ever. The ingredients in Marshmallow as I know are flavour muters. To me it just tames flavours down and backs up the muting things I read about. Eg Turns a slight bitter licorice into a candy type. Tames for example FA black licorice right down.
Yeah anyway thats my limited experience with sweetners. Tried so many stevia ones I cant be bothered anymore. Every single one left a grassy aftertaste that had me wanting to use detergent to get rid of.
Hey try this. If as people say Marshmallow is sweet, put a drop on your finger and taste it! I tried with FA and others and got Zero sweet effect, even Flavorah cotton candy, Zero sweet taste. FA if anything on the finger test is bitter! How it is said to sweeten anything im at a loss to understand. Cotton candy was slightly less bitter but call either a sweetener when they are bitter I dont believe for one second they are sweetener substitutes. Its like dipping your finger in sugar, tasting it and calling it a bittering agent.
I love my candy flavours and mucked around heaps with them.
Marshmallow as a concentrate is just part of marshmallow. Like trying to make marshmallow without sugar. Mix up say just FA Marshmallow, my go to, on its own with nothing else and tell me it tastes like a sweet Marshmallow. It wont, until you add some SS or similar. So if it doesn't on its own it cant sweeten anything by adding it on its own.
To me its use as a sweetener is a myth.

Last edited:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi. Why not just make up some diluted Cap SS in various levels. 5 ml pg with 5 ml SS etc.
Used Purilum a lot but not available here anymore, have just 10ml left. Its just a slightly weaker version of Cap. I use 3 drops, my taste, of Cap per 30 ml mix. To get the exact same sweet from Purilm I use 4 drops per 30 ml.
Its the same ingredient just a tad weaker per drop.
Marshmallows seriously mute many flavours and as much as I like them, Marshmallows, iv in recent times really dialled back my use of them. From 80% use to about 10% now. Of times not percentage. To be honest I struggled to get any sweet out of their use at all. Read so much on the net about Marshmallow as sweetener but to me I never experienced it ever. The ingredients in Marshmallow as I know are flavour muters. To me it just tames flavours down and backs up the muting things I read about. Eg Turns a slight bitter licorice into a candy type. Tames for example FA black licorice right down.
Yeah anyway thats my limited experience with sweetners. Tried so many stevia ones I cant be bothered anymore. Every single one left a grassy aftertaste that had me wanting to use detergent to get rid of.
Hey try this. If as people say Marshmallow is sweet, put a drop on your finger and taste it! I tried with FA and others and got Zero sweet effect, even Flavorah cotton candy, Zero sweet taste. FA if anything on the finger test is bitter! How it is said to sweeten anything im at a loss to understand. Cotton candy was slightly less bitter but call either a sweetener when they are bitter I dont believe for one second they are sweetener substitutes. Its like dipping your finger in sugar, tasting it and calling it a bittering agent.
I love my candy flavours and mucked around heaps with them.
Marshmallow as a concentrate is just part of marshmallow. Like trying to make marshmallow without sugar. Mix up say just FA Marshmallow, my go to, on its own with nothing else and tell me it tastes like a sweet Marshmallow. It wont, until you add some SS or similar. So if it doesn't on its own it cant sweeten anything by adding it on its own.
Well said. I also was mystified by the use of marshmallow and other flavors as sweeteners. Like you, I rarely use it anymore. My go to sweetener is Sugar Daddy for 2 years now.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can now agree with that too.
An Orange Cream mix I made last night is pretty good. Next time I will leave out the Marshmallow and maybe the 1 drop of SS in the 30ml mix.
The 10ml testing bottle has its place for tricky new flavors, but now I have moved up to using 30ml as that size gives me more room to make adjustments if needed and more to enjoy when getting it right. Plus the size allows me to add 1 drop or more of SS without over-sweetening the mix if needed.
In my previous years of DIY, I never used any sweeteners at all. All it took was a 1 DIY or Die video and a search in AllTheFlavors.com to see 42k+times SS was used that got me thinking I was missing out on a key ingredient.
Now that I have dabbled with SS I am dialing back the use of the additive unless I am following a published recipe or it will improve a mix rather than adding it because I have it to use.

BigDisplay

Member For 4 Years
Hahaha ur so right.

I often use FlavourArt meringue, caramel and marshmallow as sweeteners.

I have 7 different sweeteners I think, but mostly use the Vapable sucralose sweetener and my favorite Chemnovatic sweetener Blend sb-800

Blend sb-800 info:

Please welcome Chemnovatic’s Sweetener Blend SB-800!

We have something that will change the game completely! Sweetener Blend SB-800 is just as sweet as sucralose but has none of its downsides.

Why should you consider using Sweetener Blend SB-800?

It strengthens the sweetness of the flavours in your e-liquid.

It fits in the current consumer needs for sucralose alternatives.

It is not carcinogenic .

It is TPD compliant .

It doesn’t caramelize or burn.

It doesn’t overtake e-liquids’ flavours .

It doesn’t build up on coil so you don’t need to change it so frequently.

It is manufactured with the use of only certified ingredients of the highest pharmaceutical quality from reliable European suppliers.

The same as all our products it undergoes strict quality procedures which are confirmed by ISO 9001:2015 , HACCP and GHP/GMP standard.

We provide our customers with full traceability of products and additionally every batch of products that leave our facility is laboratory tested on site.

Build your competitive advantage with Chemnovatic

At Chemnovatic we know that our task as a manufacturer of ingredients for e-liquids production is also helping e-liquids producers in meeting the customers’ expectations.

Sweetener Blend SB-800 is the result of the hard work of Chemnovatic’s R&D department which tested dozens of different solutions to find the one with the effect as close to sucralose as possible.

Sendt fra min EVR-L29 med Tapatalk

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use FW Sweetener more than any other. It's just a sucralose dilution where Super Sweet has a higher concentration of sucralose and some type of acids. FW Sweetener is roughly half as potent. It really works well and doesn't take over with its potent sweetness like CSS.

I've tried lots of others but haven't been mixing much lately. I got some TFA Super Sweetener months ago and still haven't tried it. Ricks Sugar Daddy tastes like real table sugar. I used some in a fruity mix and holy moly that was too much sugar flavor. My bad. I'll have to learn how to use it better when I plan on mixing more again.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I use FW Sweetener more than any other. It's just a sucralose dilution where Super Sweet has a higher concentration of sucralose and some type of acids. FW Sweetener is roughly half as potent. It really works well and doesn't take over with its potent sweetness like CSS.

I've tried lots of others but haven't been mixing much lately. I got some TFA Super Sweetener months ago and still haven't tried it. Ricks Sugar Daddy tastes like real table sugar. I used some in a fruity mix and holy moly that was too much sugar flavor. My bad. I'll have to learn how to use it better when I plan on mixing more again.

I'm kind of in the habit of using Cap SS now, but for a long time I used mostly marshmallow (FA is best imo), and I also like FW Sweetener.

It's rare that I don't need to add some kind of sweetener so a mix suits my own taste. Just not the same without the sweetener.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To nobody in particular:

I've had the same vial of Ethyl Maltol crystals since 2012. I do a 10% solution in PG to make sweetener.
Also called 'cotton candy' flavoring.

It just works.

If using that isn't sweet enough, yer taste buds are burnt out man. Change things up eh?
Try vaping pure unflavored...then go back. A reference point is good, rather than trying to get MOAR sweet, when it may not be the juice. ;-)

Eat a Reeses, then see how it tastes eh? Perhaps there is too much sugar in yer diet and your taste zones for it are overstimulated?

I don't eat sweets much at all, but I do add 2-3 drops of EM solution to several juices. Pure liquid Stevia is good too, but can get bitter aftertastes when too much is used.

Last edited:

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Chemnovatic’s Sweetener Blend SB-800
Where do you find that sweetener?

I want to try FW Sweetener, but on my recent order at Wizard Labs, they were out of stock. CSS is ok at .5% or less if at all now that I have tried it out. It's pretty tasty in my cold brew coffee with a tad of cashew vanilla milk.
I did order a 10ml of TFA Ethyl Maltol 10% PG which should be here later today with a bunch of flavors. Yay, vape flavor mail. :D:bliss::cloud:

BigDisplay

Member For 4 Years
Where do you find that sweetener?

I want to try FW Sweetener, but on my recent order at Wizard Labs, they were out of stock. CSS is ok at .5% or less if at all now that I have tried it out. It's pretty tasty in my cold brew coffee with a tad of cashew vanilla milk.
I did order a 10ml of TFA Ethyl Maltol 10% PG which should be here later today with a bunch of flavors. Yay, vape flavor mail. :D:bliss::cloud:
In here https://chemnovatic.com/

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
In here https://chemnovatic.com/

Hi. Checked the site and saw them talking it up as the best thing for vaping ever but found zero info on what it actually is!? Yes a sweetener but whats it made of so that as a consumer I can verify their claims that it is safer than anything else?
Thanks for the link but anyone can say anything they like. But in case I missed it, did you see what it contained?
Im a bit confused too as in other sections they mention that they list flavours that contain Sucralose. Why if they are the inventors and owners of SB800 that is better than Sucralose have they not replaced it or ditched those with Sucralose and all now have SB800 in them.
Maybe I didn't read it all properly but what I did, didnt add up.
Maybe what they are trying to convey is lost in translation.
Do you have any actual info of its compounds, ingredients?
Edit. I sent them a request of what it contains so as to be able to verify their claims it is safer and better.
Looking forward to a reply from them ?

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ok, thanks to "Hey Google" Sb800 is nothing new, sorry not at you BigDisplay, just the marketers..
Here's the relevant info.
Screenshot_20210104-211052.png
Just Ethyl Maltol..
Bit crappy them making the claims they do really like they discovered it!
Screenshot_20210104-211219.png
Here's some sweetener info.
Em too, which is SB800 is in most if im right Marshmallow flavours which is also known as I mentioned above to be a flavour mutor. It is also used in many commercial stevia powder sweeteners for coffee and cooking. The EM is in granuals and acts as the carrier for the much smaller amount in the mix of stevia powder. Em on its own can also have a slight cooling effect, hence its notoriety for flavour muting. I did a bit of research a yr or two ago and contacted a couple of Stevia powder producers when I was trying to make my own sweetener. They told me that our Aussie Natvia Stevia is simply Stevia powder carried by EM granules. I put some in a glass and instantly poured it off leaving the granules in the glass bottom. It was confirmed. The stevia powder instantly was released into the water, sweet, the left over granules in the bottom when picked up on a spoon and tested had a cooling sensation.
Has anyone honestly put a drop of Marshmallow or Cotton candy on their finger tip and tasted it as sweet as sugar? I have with FA, Capella as well as FLV and none tasted remotely sweet.
I still have FA Marshmallow, Cap Marshmallow and FLV Cotton Candy and none taste anything other than bitter.
They smell nice, but taste bitter. Our senses of taste and smell are very much linked.
Thats why I believe they are taste muters. They cancel each other out as the % raises along with the actual bitterness of PG.
Could some with ultra ultra sensitive taste percieve a sweet effect at low % ?
Yeah I possibly do. Also maybe in very high Vg low Pg mixes. Personally Iv tried high low visa versa and didnt notice anything other than more flavour muting as the Pg ratio dropped, which made sense as Pg is the flavour carrier in vaping.
But do I believe they are a replacement for sweetners? Never.
I believe that for those with ultra sensitive taste receptors, the minority, it could work and believe for them it does.
But honestly, I and every other vaper I know here says Marshmallow from anyone dropped on the finger is bitter. If anyone can do that then they are PG bitter taste blind. Which im definately not, PG to me is very bitter to taste and thats the majority carrier for EM liquids.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Good work @Smigo! Looking at the MDS you found, the percentages don't add up. PG is listed at 90-95% and EM is listed at 1.5-2.5%. What is the missing ingredient? Water? Something else?

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Good work @Smigo! Looking at the MDS you found, the percentages don't add up. PG is listed at 90-95% and EM is listed at 1.5-2.5%. What is the missing ingredient? Water? Something else?
Hi. Dont know, other searches dont bring anything up on it anywhere that I can find. My inner nerd is stumped. ?

BigDisplay

Member For 4 Years
Hi. Checked the site and saw them talking it up as the best thing for vaping ever but found zero info on what it actually is!? Yes a sweetener but whats it made of so that as a consumer I can verify their claims that it is safer than anything else?
Thanks for the link but anyone can say anything they like. But in case I missed it, did you see what it contained?
Im a bit confused too as in other sections they mention that they list flavours that contain Sucralose. Why if they are the inventors and owners of SB800 that is better than Sucralose have they not replaced it or ditched those with Sucralose and all now have SB800 in them.
Maybe I didn't read it all properly but what I did, didnt add up.
Maybe what they are trying to convey is lost in translation.
Do you have any actual info of its compounds, ingredients?
Edit. I sent them a request of what it contains so as to be able to verify their claims it is safer and better.
Looking forward to a reply from them
Got the data sheet for you.
And no matter what, for me personally... this is much better then my other sweeteners from all the old brands
d2536e327cd2bee94540a7115624f334.jpg
b532fbaaa9eeba3206d8bde4730f13f5.jpg
3105c7b82873a6cb12f5743e5c623c2f.jpg
388dbb0265b3b07304c758d577dfbeab.jpg
e0b76272fbe0cbbc931530ba72062c69.jpg
dc89e9a3750a8b396bcb4d3338f79c71.jpg
ae9ab8dbe69ffc3494a73469dbde4a86.jpg

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And no matter what, for me personally... this is much better then my other sweeteners from all the old brands
To each their own. It still looks like EM to me. This would be wonderful for those who enjoy reading datasheets, I would rather have seen you post a link to this info instead.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
d2536e327cd2bee94540a7115624f334.jpg
b532fbaaa9eeba3206d8bde4730f13f5.jpg
3105c7b82873a6cb12f5743e5c623c2f.jpg
388dbb0265b3b07304c758d577dfbeab.jpg
e0b76272fbe0cbbc931530ba72062c69.jpg
dc89e9a3750a8b396bcb4d3338f79c71.jpg
ae9ab8dbe69ffc3494a73469dbde4a86.jpg

Hi. No worries. Im sorry if you read my post the wrong way or misinterpreted it as being a personal hit, it wasn't. I said no problems your way as best I could.
Its just that its EM which has been around for quite a while and they made out it was something special new from them.
So again I'm sorry if it seemed I was having a shot at you. I can assure you it was not ever intended to be so.
Anyway ill bow out of this thread now and wish all a great day. :)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
No offense was taken by me. Sharing opinions and ideas are always a good thing to do.
None, zero taken I can assure. Nothing.
Having been on some other places I think differences in cultures and ways of expressing oneself, that what was originally intended can get lost. Its hard when not face to face at times and be able to express a facial expression with a comment.
Im sure its the same everywhere else. Here in Australia you can say "mate" half a dozen different ways. One can be saying it like you are my greatest friend. Another way, just Mate, with just an expression, is like one is their worst hunt down enemies.
I have often found it a bit difficult at times on international forums conveying what I actually mean. Im sure its the same at times for others.
Went and saw a good friend today, his response at seeing me when I turned up to some may have seemed like he hated me "what are you doing here you mongrel looking thing!?" All agro like.
He was actually happy to see me. :giggle:

VU Sponsors