Castlevania TV Producer Making a PUBG Animated Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
A PUBG animated series is officially in development, with Castlevania executive producer Adi Shankar at the helm.

Krafton Inc. announced a new partnership with Shankar that will see him create and showrun an upcoming animated series based on the PUBG IP. In a press release, Shankar said he was "grateful" and "excited" about being given the opportunity to help shape the project and bring the world of PUBG to life, having been an avid player of the game since launch.

"As a player, I've been crushing the competition in the Battlegrounds since PUBG released in 2017," Shankar said in a statement accompanying the announcement. "I'm grateful to Krafton for the trust and confidence they've placed in me to execute my vision as a filmmaker and I'm excited to embark on this journey together.

[ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/top-10-battle-royales"]
"To me, this animated project represents another step in the evolution of mending the torched bridge between the games industry and Hollywood. I look forward to revealing to everybody what winning a chicken dinner looks like," he added, referencing the growing effort to expand IPs into larger multimedia franchises.

"In addition to the continued development of new and engaging in-game PUBG content, our partnership with Adi Shankar represents a step into our broader strategy of expanding the PUBG Universe into a multimedia franchise," Krafton, Inc. CEO CH Kim emphasized. "We are excited to work with Shankar on exploring and realizing a world that brings the game to life for our fans. We look forward to sharing more about this animated project in the near future."

[widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=every-video-game-movie-in-development-almost&captions=true"]

Shankar has become well known for his dark retellings of nerdy franchises that we hold dear to our hearts. He's perhaps best known for his role as executive producer on Netflix's Castlevania, which ended with a fourth and final season earlier this year. He's also helmed cult superhero hit Dredd, and his own Bootleg Universe featuring The End of Pokemon.

In addition to Shankar's newly announced animated project, the PUBG Universe has continued to expand with several other notable releases, including its first live-action short film titled Ground Zero, and an investigative docu-series called Mysteries Unknown: Birth of the Battlegrounds that unravels the darkest secrets behind the birth of the Battlegrounds. We're also seeing a near-future PUBG 'sequel' on mobile, and a far-future horror game set in the PUBG universe from the creator of Dead Space.

[poilib element="accentDivider"]
Adele Ankers is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors