Become a Patron!

Child Nicotine-Related Death Ruled an Accident: Parents to Sue Heartland Vapes

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
7qAOYlz.jpg

http://www.v4p3r.com/child-nicotine-related-death-ruled-an-accident-parents-to-sue-heartland-vapes/

Tragedy struck in December, 2014 as the first e-cig related child death occurred when 18-month old Eli James “EJ” Hotaling of New York died of nicotine poisoning.

The ensuing media frenzy fueled anti-vaping commentary across the nation.

Today, the Times Union reports that the case has been closed, but the battle has just begun.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
If I was the judge... omg..

yeah good luck with that.. :( what a shame..

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Who leaves a bottle of pure nicotine around like that? That is just ignorant. That is why DIY should not be happening unless you know exactly what you are doing. Including the risks. I have a 6 month old son at home and I don't vape inside, I don't build or wick around him at all. I wash my hands even if a little juice gets on me.
Personal responsibility has to be important no matter the situation. Avoidable death that really looks bad on the vaping industry.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The author drew some conclusions from conjecture. The childproof caps Heatrlandvapes sells are for the empty glass bottles they sell. The nic they sell, at least mine, comes in bottles with childproof caps.

Which is moot anyway. If the cap is not on the bottle, it doesn't really matter if it was a childproof cap anyway.

A complete hack job by the author of the original article.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Sounds like a bad situation all-around for that kid. Unless the original article was being misleading, the child was actually being raised by his maternal grandmother. The aunt was moving in. The biological mother was out shopping. So this kid is left with granny-mom and her occasional live-in boyfriend.

Just pure opinion here, but if I were a betting man, this family is probably fodder for a Jerry Springer show.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Soooo....if I leave some bleach on the floor and my little one goes over to it, drinks it and dies, I can sue Clorox?...what a world we live in...

Donbear

Member For 4 Years
It's a real tragedy that an innocent life was lost foolishly. Also, I live in the area this happened. The uninformed have said to me many times, "oh you use that e-juice, that stuff will kill you." The press didn't help the vaping community at all.

That said, the kid was 18 months old and in someone else's house (unexpectedly?). Is Heartland liable? If the unsupervised kid drank the Drano that was left uncapped in the bathroom would SC Johnson be liable? Let's get real? Stupid people do stupid things all the time. Unfortunately, this poor child was surrounded by stupidity.

VU Sponsors