Become a Patron!

Chip compatability

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To all mod builders... I am looking for a chip capable of running dual 26650 batteries (series or parallel). I am not a high wattage vaper, but I am highly interested in ludicrous battery life. I do like to sit and chain vape in my down time. I was looking at a raptor 20A, mainly because i had found a very complete schematic with all kinds of protections built in. However, I would really like a readout similar to a DNA mod. Does anyone have any suggestions? Can a DNA 30 take two parallel 26650's? I have read the data sheet on the DNA 30, and know that a series build will bring the voltage input too high, but can the chip handle the extra amps? Also, I am not going to bother with the pass through charger. With two gigantic 26650's, i'd rather use a xtar vp4. I am more confident in that particular charger's ability to safely charge and maintain my batteries.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am pretty sure both the yihi sx350 and evolve dna40 can be ran with dual 26650. I am no expert but I believe I have seen both.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"Can a DNA 30 take two parallel 26650's?" Yes!
"but can the chip handle the extra amps?" Yes!

You are still just pushing 4.2v max at full charge which the DNA30,40, and SX350 can use. With the SX350 if you put them in Series, you can get 100 watts instead of 60.

Kaanatila

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you better go with yihi cause they also have paralel usb charging unit.

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With the SX350, you can run dual batteries in series OR parallel. Running them in parallel limits you to 60W. In series it bumps it up to 120W.

I will say though, dual 26650's, that's gonna be one BIG ASS mod! LoL! You're gonna need to strap that on your back like a Ghostbusters proton pack!

Last edited:

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FYI, the current draw is not dictated by the battery, but by the load. So the more appropriate question is can the BATTERY handle the amperage. Just because a battery is capable of a 30A limit, doesn't mean there's always going to be a 30A current draw on the battery :) Or that it will push 30A to an idle load. If that were the case, we would see a lot of blown up mods... LoL

If you plan on running low resistance builds, you definitely want high current capable batteries.

Oh, one more thing... The new SX350J boards are capable of handling loads as low as .05 Ohms... Super sub ohm!

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
With the SX350, you can run dual batteries in series OR parallel. Running them in parallel limits you to 60W. In series it bumps it up to 120W.

I will say though, dual 26650's, that's gonna be one BIG ASS mod! LoL! You're gonna need to strap that on your back like a Ghostbusters proton pack!

There are a few SX350 versions that offer different input / output power and features.
Sx350 - 60w
Sx350 - 100w
Sx350 mini - 60w - 120w
Sx350j is 60w - 120w

I believe the 100w chip will only run in series but all others can run either parallel or series. The OP would need to check to see which model they also offer with a balance charger if ever wanting to have the feature to go with series configuration. I just re-read OP original post and see he stated he wouldn't but imo it's a nice feature to have at times.

Last edited:

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the clarification on that Vlad :) I wasn't specific enough

Good to see you over here :) I think there was more than a few of us that wandered over to these parts

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for the clarification on that Vlad :) I wasn't specific enough

Good to see you over here :) I think there was more than a few of us that wandered over to these parts

Yea I've seen a few over here. There's just not much conversation about my current interest "SXmini M Class" over here. :) Or Yihi products in general. Seems to all be Istick, IPV, DNA or clone xyz etc. IDK maybe I'm just not finding the thread. :)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's a lot of new vapers here recently asking about simple and affordable gear. That's why there's all the istick and such talk. Yihi is recognized as a manufacturer of quality chips by a lot of members here.

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Actually, it fits comfortably in my hand. Maybe not my pocket....

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are a few SX350 versions that offer different input / output power and features.
Sx350 - 60w
Sx350 - 100w
Sx350 mini - 60w - 120w
Sx350j is 60w - 120w

I believe the 100w chip will only run in series but all others can run either parallel or series. The OP would need to check to see which model they also offer with a balance charger if ever wanting to have the feature to go with series configuration. I just re-read OP original post and see he stated he wouldn't but imo it's a nice feature to have at times.
Great breakdown Vlad1, thank you.

dam718

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would actually prefer to run with an xtar vpa, unless someone can recommend a better independent charge system. Thanks for that tidbit though

I would agree, even YiHi recommends using an external charger... At least in the instruction manual for the SXmini. I would assume with the balance charger they include with the SX350J board, it would likely work fine, but at a limited charge current. I don't know what the charge current is, probably something around 500mA (Can we get a confirmation from someone in the know?). You can charge much quicker with an external charger running at 1 or 2 Amps, although perhaps at the expense of total charge cycles you will get out of the battery. That's also less wires to solder, one less board to find a spot for in the box, and one less hole you have to drill into the side.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would agree, even YiHi recommends using an external charger... At least in the instruction manual for the SXmini. I would assume with the balance charger they include with the SX350J board, it would likely work fine, but at a limited charge current. I don't know what the charge current is, probably something around 500mA (Can we get a confirmation from someone in the know?). You can charge much quicker with an external charger running at 1 or 2 Amps, although perhaps at the expense of total charge cycles you will get out of the battery. That's also less wires to solder, one less board to find a spot for in the box, and one less hole you have to drill into the side.
Yeah and the usb on Yihi's SX M class is a 3 month and the rest of the mod is 12 month, so I am thinking they do not think much of the usb charging ports.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Diesel, any chip that can run a single 18650 (or 26650, same thing really) can run 2 or more batteries in parallel. The chip doesn't care how many batteries are in parallel, just the voltage that's being put out. In the case of parallel batteries it is the same output voltage with however many batteries you choose to use... it's still a 4.2v system as far as the chip is concerned. Charging is a different matter, since it takes much more time to charge multiple batteries with a charger that is spec'd to charge 1 battery. But since you're not concerned with onboard charging that's not really an issue for you. So if you want to build a mod with 6 batteries in parallel, knock yourself out. It's still a 4.2v system and the chip won't care.

A series mod is a different story and gets a little more complicated. So if you want to create a mod easily with multiple batteries, just stick with a parallel configuration and build it as big as you want with as many batteries as you want.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually... the recommended method to charge multiple cell ( parallel ) systems is to charge each cell individually and equally to the same identical voltage... it's referred to a balanced charge. Good LiPo battery chargers such as those used in the RC industry do just that. If you charge two or more cells from a single source... one battery could charge quicker than the other leaving them unbalanced ( different voltages on each ).

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually... the recommended method to charge multiple cell ( parallel ) systems is to charge each cell individually and equally to the same identical voltage... it's referred to a balanced charge. Good LiPo battery chargers such as those used in the RC industry do just that. If you charge two or more cells from a single source... one battery could charge quicker than the other leaving them unbalanced ( different voltages on each ).

Balance charging is needed for serial batteries. Like an RC 2 cell pack running at 7.4v. Unnecessary for parallel charging single cells, but you can balance charge single cells if you wish. Although if parallel charging multiple cells at higher that a 1C rate balance charging would be a good idea since the cells need time to equalize during charging. But in this case the charge rate would be well under 1C so it really wouldn't matter.

Diesel_Danno

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you everyone for more awesome information. I figured it wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I was having trouble finding specific words that said it was ok, rather than being unable to find evidence of it being bad idea.

VU Sponsors