Chris Hemsworth Reveals Furiosa Began Filming

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Chris Hemsworth announced today via Twitter that filming has begun for Furiosa.

Furiosa is a prequel to the hit post-apocalyptic film Mad Max: Fury Road and will follow Imperator Furiosa, a role originated by Charlize Theron but played by Anya Taylor-Joy this time around.

A new journey in the Mad Max saga begins #FURIOSA pic.twitter.com/nhxqRXB73z

— Chris Hemsworth (@chrishemsworth) June 1, 2022

Theron has expressed her excitement for the film but shared she was heartbroken to not be asked back. Last year she told The Hollywood Reporter, “I really love that character, and I’m so grateful that I had a small part in creating her. She will forever be someone I think of and reflect on fondly.”

Anya Taylor-Joy from The New Mutants will be taking over the role in this origin story. Director George Miller said Taylor-Joy’s performance in Last Night in Soho helped secure her spot on the role as a young Furiosa, and that her audition included performing the iconic "I'm Mad As Hell" speech from Sidney Lumet's 1976 film Network.

Hemsworth will step into the villain role opposite Taylor-Joy. This is much different for the usual charming action hero types he typically portrays. Miller initially saw Hemsworth as a courtesy but quickly fell in love with the idea of him playing “the lead baddie.”

Furiosa was originally meant to be released in 2023, but was delayed to May 24, 2024. The film’s plot is still tightly under wraps. Despite that, Miller has teased that the film’s structure will be quite different from Mad Max: Fury Road.

Mad Max: Fury Road won IGN’s Best Movie of 2015. In our review we said, ”It’s the overriding sense of the film’s uniqueness, its striving to be something more than just another action movie, that is most impressive.”

You can look forward to seeing Hemsworth in the upcoming film, Thor: Love and Thunder which is out this summer on July 8, 2022.

Casey is a freelance writer for IGN. You can usually find him talking about JRPGs on Twitter at @caseydavidmt.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors