Become a Patron!

Clapton Lingo... What does it mean?

Does anyone have a resource/glossary (nice to have pics) of the different types of basic Clapton wire?

I am new to building coils and though I'd try to build a Clapton coil with pre-made wire.

I just don't know what it all means.

This is what I am seeing:
Twisted Clapton
Loose Clapton
Roll Clapton
Fused Clapton
Tape Wire Clapton
Staple Clapton
Eric Clapton
and some are described like this... 28GA x 2 + 0.5 x 0.1 + 32GA

What does it all mean?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
https://www.purecoils.com/collections/coils-1

For pictures you can look there.

Some of these I haven't heard of like the Twisted, loose, tape wire, and roll. A Clapton is just taking usually thinner wire and wrapping it around a core wire(s). It makes it like a guitar string which is, as i've heard, where the name came from.

Fused clapton is just a standard clapton with multiple core wires. Staple is using ribbon wire as the cores. The 28gX2+.5X.1+32g is probably a framed staple (though you'd usually use more then one piece of ribbon wire) which is just a staple with a frame of in this case 28g wire on each side of the ribbon. Aliens is another, you clapton a wire, then pull that core wire out and stretch the clapton wire and wrap another set of cores, this creates a wavy looking clapton.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The term Clapton coil, is named after the guitarist and singer Eric Clapton because they are formed like guitar strings as Jerus said. I didn't know that they had actually come up with a coil bearing his full name.

DoctorJ

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The term Clapton coil, is named after the guitarist and singer Eric Clapton because they are formed like guitar strings as Jerus said. I didn't know that they had actually come up with a coil bearing his full name.

Well if there's a coil named after Eric, it should be called "The Slowhand".

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well if there's a coil named after Eric, it should be called "The Slowhand".
I raise your "The Slowhand" with "Layla". Why? It's one of the most recognisable guitar riffs of all time. Whether you like Eric Clapton or not. :)

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's also the staged Clapton wich is wrapping a Clapton coil along with one or more strands of wire (usually higher resistance than the Clapton wire) to help negate the ramp up time along with increasing surface area.
*not my pic.
amCtopm.jpg

VU Sponsors