Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Which one do you prefer and why?

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well being a poor college student the clones are in my price range, but if I had the money to spend I would love to own an authentic to show my support for the real version of the clones I own.

The cost to manufacture a clone is about the same as an authentic (when it comes down to the raw materials.) To be honest I'd rather buy clones that way I can still put food on the table for my family. But, to each their own I guess when regarding authenticity beliefs...

VapingCuban

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it wasn't for authentics we would have no clones. Kinda like saying the chicken or the egg comparison lol but sad to see some clones are better than the originals lol I'm a cheap whore myself. Clones all the way.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would prefer to have the money for authentics. Just isn't the case. If I did I would have these two.

JM22 Carbon Fiber

1656190_652616491467714_1245846735_n.jpg

The Ramble

Vaperevolution_Blogs_Ramble_2.jpg

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As others have stated, it's about the money involved. Old, fix income and living on the edge. One day, I doubt it, I may be able to afford the real thing but until that day, Clones are it....

Dash9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Being a broke trucker, I buy clones but if I find something I love will throw down the cash for the real deal. Most have my clones have not disappointed though!

I own both and have had good and bad experiences with both. I can tell you that, from my experience, the authentics are better made with better materials across the board. You may disagree but I have several mechs/RDAs in both the authentic and best clone available and the difference is obvious. That isn't to say that I don't have clones that I love and that are fantastic.

I think clones are great for being able to "test drive" something and see if it's for you and, if you love it, feel much better about dropping the big money on the authentic. I also buy clones because there are RDAs I'm dying to try and they just aren't ever in stock anywhere (Stillare, Magma, Zenith V2, etc).

Rick S

Member For 4 Years
Lets see>1 original mod = $$$$$$ / 1 cloned mod =$$
Why can you buy 4 or 5 of the same clone for the price of the authentic mod?
Is the quality between the two that far apart?
Some people buy for bragging rights some for savings.
I'll pick savings every time.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Yeah I think bragging rights has some to do with it. This would be the perfect example.

$1500 and sold out in minutes

element-mods-BT-5th-Blog-0010-430x244.jpg

For me it hasn't been about bragging rights or about collecting, there have just been a few clones I really liked and wanted to see for myself if there was a difference compared to the authentic so I bought those too. I did buy a Paps Lux as my clone Nemi started to act up on me and I wanted a sleek tube mod. I have to say it is worth every penny... sexy, smooth, incredibly well made, buttery smooth firing button, just a joy to use.

Most of my RDAs, except for those for my Reos, are clones and they are great though.

Paddrino

Member For 4 Years
Personally I don't care one way or another. If you can afford it, and you can find them, buy the authentic.nif you can't do one of those, buy the clone. It's simple supply and demand. The issue is really with the people who look down on either group for whatever their reasons.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no problem with either authentics or clones...buy what you like....I myself prefer clones because while its possible that the authentics might possibly be higher quality (not always the case), these often times tiny differences, IMHO, don't necessarily justify, at least to me, the huge gap in price points....does a slightly smoother thread justify a 200 dollar price difference?....some might say yes, but I just cant wrap my mind around it...YMMV :)

db3

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For the most part, I am an authentic guy, but I am in no way against clones... the sad fact is there are just not many low cost alternatives that are not clones. There are other considerations (lots of them), but at the end of the day, if it makes you happy, buy it - and don't knock the guy who is happy with something different.

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
Most of the time I think they come off the same exact line.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Clones are part of the free market. There are clones of every product everywhere . It's great for the consumer . It's the reason we do not all drive
model A or model T Fords . I have nothing against those that make the real thing , but it makes ever product better. However, they should not put the real products name on it , that's plain WRONG. On the other hand, some builders price following the market. Why sell it for 100$ when they know some people will buy it for 200$. To avoid getting cloned ,price it so that no one wants to clone it .

Rick S

Member For 4 Years
I watch these reviewers on youtube, talking about how bad clones are and they will never own one.
Take a look at their disclaimers."I was sent this for free for reviewing purposes"
I guess I would never own a clone if I got the authentics for free?

Ghostrider

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So would it be acceptable for Crapple to make a CHiPhone that is a 1:1 copy of the Apple iPhone down to the OS and market it to people as an alternative?

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Clones are part of the free market. There are clones of every product everywhere . It's great for the consumer . It's the reason we do not all drive
model A or model T Fords . I have nothing against those that make the real thing , but it makes ever product better. However, they should not put the real products name on it , that's plain WRONG. On the other hand, some builders price following the market. Why sell it for 100$ when they know some people will buy it for 200$. To avoid getting cloned ,price it so that no one wants to clone it .

It's not just the price alone that drives cloning in some cases....its also limited availability of these products....people see a smexy mod and want one....the maker only produces a limited number and they sell out in minutes...folks cant get one even if they have the means to purchase it....this can lead to folks having to pay flipper prices to obtain one if they can find someone flipping it...this is where clones come in....if the maker isn't going to produce enough to satisfy the demand....someone will....obviously, this isn't the case with all cloned products, but it happens...

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So would it be acceptable for Crapple to make a CHiPhone that is a 1:1 copy of the Apple iPhone down to the OS and market it to people as an alternative?
Why not , it's an alternative . You may like it or not . Batteries are made by only a few companies , then others put their own wrap on it . Go to Walmart , they have their own brand of almost everything in the store .

Ghostrider

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Own brand or alternative is one thing. A 1:1 copy is another @jack. So are you saying it is ok to counterfeit an item and sell it?

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Own brand or alternative is one thing. A 1:1 copy is another @jack. So are you saying it is ok to counterfeit an item and sell it?
Sir , your own words "alternative " also go back and read my post about putting the other builders name on it.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a clone guy. This is due to both price and availability reasons. That being said, I'm going to pass along some hearsay now (I have no proof of the truth of the following. Please take that into consideration)
one of the makers of the original tobh had a clone version tested and found a high (40% in the story I was told) lead content.
I can't find any written evidence. I'm not even sure of the repercussions if this is true. In my mind lead=bad stuff.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
im not gonna judge anyone for buying authentic but imo a lot of them are just over charging for various reasons, some that can be avoided.. i feel like this is going to go into two directions; china is going to hire engineers and put out their own products at a clone price (already being done), or the engineers are going to have products manufactured off shore to put out products at clone prices (or reasonable prices). both scenarios would be "authentic" mods

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Depends on what you define as "counterfeit"....the term is tossed around all over way too loosely...a legally protected logo and design being copied and passed off as an original is certainly a "counterfeit"...same as "counterfeit" money being passed off as real, on purpose....a legally protected logo/design on a device being sold as a clone is likely an illegal copy of that logo\design, but no one is passing it off as authentic....that isn't really a "counterfeit"...that being said, if a maker doesn't legally protect his logo or design, any reproductions arent really counterfeit at all AFAIC...my feeling is that the maker, by not doing so has left it up for grabs...

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Let's be realistic. Some mods are pretty much a smooth metal tube with some fancy engravings or etchings and a serial number. At the end of the day it is just a threaded piece of pipe. Is that really worth $200??? Yes there are some awesome mods out there made of top notch materials and intricate machining. Those to me would be worth the cost because of the time, effort and designing involved. But to take a piece of metal pipe and cut it into 3's, put a logo, switch and end cap on it and charge a premium price is absurd. Any capable machinist could do this in a matter of hours.

REPETE OFF3ND3R

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't really care one way or the other so long as it is built well. I have both authentics and clones and have had good and bad experiences with both. If the stars align right and I have the ability to get the authentic at that moment without bankrupting myself I generally will, But quite frequently I get clones. I have found that not all clones are created equal though. There's definitely some very poorly made clones out there though , so it pays to do your homework on the manufacturer it comes from. Aside from that, do what works for you and never mind those who pass their judgement. Happy vaping! ;)

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't really care one way or the other so long as it is built well. I have both authentics and clones and have had good and bad experiences with both. If the stars align right and I have the ability to get the authentic at that moment without bankrupting myself I generally will, But quite frequently I get clones. I have found that not all clones are created equal though. There's definitely some very poorly made clones out there though , so it pays to do your homework on the manufacturer it comes from. Aside from that, do what works for you and never mind those who pass their judgement. Happy vaping! ;)

Agree.....researching and looking at reviews when looking into purchasing a mod (clone or even authentic) is important....there are some good ones and a few bad ones out there...even some authentics have received less than stellar reviews (which would really suck if you spent big $$$ and got a crappy mod)...do your homework to avoid buyers remorse....lol

REPETE OFF3ND3R

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Agree.....researching and looking at reviews when looking into purchasing a mod (clone or even authentic) is important....there are some good ones and a few bad ones out there...even some authentics have received less than stellar reviews (which would really suck if you spent big $$$ and got a crappy mod)...do your homework to avoid buyers remorse....lol
So true! I unfortunately found that out the hard way when I first started vaping a couple years ago. I was ready to move on from my ego so I got this so-called" lava tube" which ended up being a very poorly made fake. After nothing but problems from day one, I said screw it and ponied up for a provari that's been my daily workhorse ever since and have never had a single problem

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In this case it would not be OK to clone since Apple has national and international trademarks, patents, and copyrights. But this argument doesn't apply to the vast majority of vaping products since most don't apply for legal protections. So in the case of say a Nemesis, it is legally OK to produce a copy that looks similar (or exact) since legal protection was never applied for or granted. You might want to re-think your analogy to make it a pertinent argument.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So in the case of say a Nemesis, it is legally OK to produce a copy that looks similar (or exact) since legal protection was never applied for or granted.
I've long wondered if Atmomixani asked for and was granted permission by Anne Stokes to use her trademarked Death Angel image on his mod? I've seen the question asked elsewhere but have never seen a definitive answer...at any rate, it would seem that this image being put on a clone would be an infringement upon her trademark and not against the mod maker (who might be infringing himself if he doesn't have permission either).....the locomotive image that the maker has might be a different matter though....

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A polished piece of pipe , nice and shiny . Does the same thing they all do , (to a certain point , voltage drop etc ) unless you split hairs . Put a price tag on it of $250.00 +, might as well put another sign on it "please clone me ". Granted there is some garbage out there but....you have to laugh if anyone is shocked , its gonna get copied.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Like some others said, why not have both if that is what you are into. "Value" is subjective, so if someone finds an authentic to worth the price tag, then have at it. I would consider a heftier price tag "if" I genuinely thought the device was worthy of it.

I own a lot of clones, and I do not consider them "counterfeits" because they were advertised, and sold as a clone. I am very happy with all of the clones I own, except one ... a crappy Chi You. Out of 14 mechanical clones, having only one that sucks a little aint too shabby.

I often contemplate buying an authentic Kayfun because I don't fine the price tag to be outrageous but ... I have two very good quality Kayfuns, one of which is a exact 1:1 3.1, so I don't really have a reason to buy the authentic at this point. If my clones sucked, then I would be all over the authentic. I have what is supposed to be a 1:1 Kayfun Lite Plus V2 in transit now ... if it is as good as I have heard, here is yet another reason to not buy the authentic, unless I want to do a for "shits and giggles" comparison.

People should buy whatever their hearts desire, and fuck all that "is it right or wrong" non-sense ... No mere mortal could ever be an authority on what is absolutely right or wrong, so mind ya business, and vape happy. :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As others have stated, it's about the money involved. Old, fix income and living on the edge. One day, I doubt it, I may be able to afford the real thing but until that day, Clones are it....

Same here, fixed income and not much of it. But, I pay my bills, don't own a cellphone or have a CC, don't drive anymore and don't really do much.

Vaping is a thing I can actually enjoy WITHOUT spending a ton of money. I own two non-clone mods; the Moneypenny and the SVD. The rest are clones and I'm not ashamed of it in the least.

I'm a born and raised thrifty sort...folks grew up in the Depression and taught me that way. All my clothes, electronics and kitchen stuff are 2nd hand and its' not shabby.
IMHO, If I can get a nice copper mod for $30, why the hell should I pay $185? The modders ain't losing money...they sell out in minutes to their fanboys.

Enough of the pot stirrin' eh? :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
EDIT: (can't edit post...)

I also own a H-Atty I won in a contest and a root beer Buzz Pro I got for $40 off a classies ad quite awhile ago.
Was Mike mad I bought a used one instead of new? Nope...not at all. It's got a Pulse-G clone Genny on it and it works a treat.

qevhMo6l.jpg

I'll buy whatever I wish with MY money. Am I a cheap 'ol Scottish-Irish skinflint? - damn straight I am. :)

Eliquidvape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
At this point in my life I mainly use clones, and have no problem with them in general. If I had the funds to purchase authentic I would though (with the exception of certain companies).

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To me a clone or replica is nothing more than a ripped off design. I will not support a thief so I am proud to say of the 100+ mods and devices I own not one of them is a clone or replica. My personal values are what they are...

VU Sponsors