Become a Patron!

Coating coming off?

Not sure why this is happening, I got this for Christmas so it isnt very old. Its gradually starting doing this I dont know if it's something to worry about or not. It's a diesel tank.
a4bd9bf1f837c7b0e8f876b2b33c54b9.jpg
41ecf74b9140e25e50850cc528111b42.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Not sure why this is happening, I got this for Christmas so it isnt very old. Its gradually starting doing this I dont know if it's something to worry about or not. It's a diesel tank.
a4bd9bf1f837c7b0e8f876b2b33c54b9.jpg
41ecf74b9140e25e50850cc528111b42.jpg

They say they come in gold or silver plated.
It doesn't look everly impressive being just a few months old.
What do you clean it with?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hard to see even blowing up the images but it looks like there might be some e-Liquid distorting the pictures. What concerns me is that I think I see Copper and I think I read something about it not being good to be with e-Liquids. Hopefully someone with more info on it will chime in.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I know I was worried it would be something harmfull

I would worry if the flakes of the plating is flying into you lungs 1st. But are you sure that it isn't the e-Liquid residue?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Since you use Q-tips to clean, it won't remove all the juice and maybe it's built up? Have you tried soaking it overnight in soapy water to see if that dissolves away and if not scrub w/something like toothbrush.
If it's plating coming off I wouldn't use it.

Also, Ambitionzvaper designed it and was the first review on YT, but I can't find it. Maybe he took it down?

I'm pretty sure it isnt residue and all the e juice I use has no color but I'll try soaking it tonight

Heres more pictures. I always have had issues with my coils burning up and getting like crud on the coils and black pieces getting onto the splash guard. Its worrisome since I've been vaping in since christmas :/ also the pictures are not as good quality since I'm using tapatalk and dont have vip.
444059380f0cd6ae4d4b52787fcee136.jpg
4f93fa1a315dcbc00da57fedd729d8fd.jpg
e2b453162aac3b4511820756ab45af3a.jpg
be4d0a3a211839a3c8313534abf0fb45.jpg
b9e83e10bf048672e81e114a714afd71.jpg

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The plating is coming off. It looks like a cheap clone tank but it's probably just a bad job. Some flavors in juices can do weird things like crack glass. Maybe some of it can eat away at cheap metals. I just hope it's not dissolving into your eliquid and your inhaling anything really toxic. If it were mine, I'd throw it away. But I also have lot's of tanks to use.

I'm not a fan of gold plating (or any shiny plating really) on decks because of what's going on with your tank. The gold ones can get dull and wear off if it's done cheaply. Other times it just stays the way it's supposed to.

I didnt think this was a cheap tank? It's a diesel tank it was $50 I know price doesn't always mean anything but I didnt think it was cheaply made :( I guess I'll have to wait to get another one. At least my birthday is tomorrow huh lol?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Here it is blown up
upload_2020-4-3_19-12-36.png

While google hasn't shown me anyone else with the same prob, doesn't mean it doesn't have one. It does look more like corrosion or plating coming off.
Can clean a bown spot / area and see if there's any pitting under the brown spots...?

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Thank you all so much for your help! :)

I read it was plated stainless steel with silver or gold. That it came in both.
Id be inclined to stop using it. I could not find reference to the deck being plated copper.

Here it is blown up
View attachment 158079

While google hasn't shown me anyone else with the same prob, doesn't mean it doesn't have one. It does look more like corrosion or plating coming off.
Can clean a bown spot / area and see if there's any pitting under the brown spots...?
I tried getting it off I couldn't I dont know what it is but it's not going to come off easy

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I tried getting it off I couldn't I dont know what it is but it's not going to come off easy

Unusable then. Sounds like a Christmas gift? Your within 90 days but probably too late to go to where it was purchased and ask for a different tank that won't do that. I looked on Timesvape site and didn't find anything about warranty period, usually its 30 days for tanks, but I would email them anyhow, as well as post what happened + ask for replacement, w/ a pic, on their FB.
http://www.timesvape.com/

VU Sponsors