Coil Builds

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So my girlfriends dad just gave me a Patriot V1 clone and a mephisto V1 authentic, I haven't been able to build lower than .19. I'm new at this and I've decided that without a proper box I won't go lower than .09. Suggestions on builds and rookie mistakes to avoid for a build? I've been using 24 gage kanthal and some hybrid stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With a mech, .19 makes about 90watts and 22amps and .09 makes about 190watts and 46amps. Do you have the knowledge to be safely messing with mechs and super sub ohm builds? Sounds like you might need to get a few things sorted before attempting a build with that gear. What battery are you planning to use?

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have 18650's at 2500MAH 3.7V 35A

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And they're high drain IMR's

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey, I am sorry you didn't like the VTC's, they should have been authentic from RTD, mine were, and you're literally the first person I've seen not like them at all...but .09 is dangerous for any single 18650 mech mod...sure it can be done, but you're playing with fire...I don't trust any ohm meter (most in the fine print say their accurate to +/- .02 or even .04) to go that low with a single battery....if you're meter says .09 and it's really .05 things can get hot really fast, even with a 1 volt voltage drop. Just because you have a 35 amp pulse limit on that battery doesn't mean it will like .09 . if you do the math.... .09 at 3.2 volts pulls more than 35 amps....i would stay with the .19 until you have something like a dual parallel unregulated box mod or at least use the VTC's, the VTC's have a much higher pulse so they'll be safer and at that low the performance will be the same or better...the 400 mah difference is going to be neglable because you'll be draining the battery so fast anyways that you'd get a few extra pulls off a 2500 mah battery and that would be it

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They sent me some new VTC4's they were convinced they were defective and so far the new ones work better. They last a lot longer than the previous ones. Maybe there was a bad batch? Anyway, I'm considering a box mod running parallels for the lower super sub builds. Currently the lowest I'm gonna run (taking the expert advice) is .19 no lower than .16 on a single battery mod.

Lil T Flex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Box mods all have their own minimum resistance level. A lot of them won't fire if the resistance is too low. That's why I like them. Very safe. I agree with some of the earlier replies. .09 is not safe for any mech mod. You're safe down to .14 without having to worry but I've found that a .26 is the most efficient. I run the same, .26, on my Sigelei 100+ and it rips. Box mods are the way to go

Lil T Flex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Box mods all have their own minimum resistance level. A lot of them won't fire if the resistance is too low. That's why I like them. Very safe. I agree with some of the earlier replies. .09 is not safe for any mech mod. You're safe down to .14 without having to worry but I've found that a .26 is the most efficient. I run the same, .26, on my Sigelei 100+ and it rips. Box mods are the way to go

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

That's not completely true...regulated box mods have minimum resistance levels, unregulated box mods don't....an unregulated box mod works the same as a tube mech mod....the only difference is if the unregulated box mod has wiring or a switch that can't handle the current running threw it or is not wired properly it will short out. The advantage to an unregulated box mod wired in parallel is your batteries are splitting the power load between them so you can IN THEORY fire a lower resistance level than you can with just a single battery. And you can if everything is in order and it will work just fine....you still don't want to go much below .1 but it's much safer with two batteries sharing the load and will work much better for all.

Nothing is certain and saying "you're safe down to .xx" is bad because even though you could be perfectly fine...something can still go wrong, and then someone is wondering why shit went to hell when someone said it would be ok.

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What box mods would you guys suggest to someone on a budget?

Lil T Flex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's not completely true...regulated box mods have minimum resistance levels, unregulated box mods don't....an unregulated box mod works the same as a tube mech mod....the only difference is if the unregulated box mod has wiring or a switch that can't handle the current running threw it or is not wired properly it will short out. The advantage to an unregulated box mod wired in parallel is your batteries are splitting the power load between them so you can IN THEORY fire a lower resistance level than you can with just a single battery. And you can if everything is in order and it will work just fine....you still don't want to go much below .1 but it's much safer with two batteries sharing the load and will work much better for all.

Nothing is certain and saying "you're safe down to .xx" is bad because even though you could be perfectly fine...something can still go wrong, and then someone is wondering why shit went to hell when someone said it would be ok.

Actually, it is true. Nothing I said was false. I did not say that all box mods are regulated. I said that a lot of them are. Which is true. And as far as safe resistance, what I said was also true. You let me know when you find a .14 build that hurt anyone. If your battery vents on a .14, it's because of your own faulty usage or equipment, not because of the resistance level.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually, it is true. Nothing I said was false. I did not say that all box mods are regulated. I said that a lot of them are. Which is true. And as far as safe resistance, what I said was also true. You let me know when you find a .14 build that hurt anyone. If your battery vents on a .14, it's because of your own faulty usage or equipment, not because of the resistance level.

You said ALL box mods have a minimum resistance level...false. see quote below...

"Lil T Flex said:
Box mods all have their own minimum resistance level."

and I've seen a .41 build put a battery to almost vent...it was too hot to touch because some idiot sold my buddy a 5 amp battery and built him a .41 build and told him it will be fine...bottom line is the wrong battery for the wrong build and anything can go wrong.....If I hadn't chucked his mod he might of been seriously hurt.

Did you have to argue with me because you feel the need to always be right or just because you're petty? There is more than one type of unregulated box mod. There are ones made with logic switches that require mosfets to handle any kind of current that we use them for sub ohming to keep them from shorting out and then there are ones with dumb switches that simply make contact to complete the circuit like in a tube mech mod. There was even a video put out recently on the very subject of "unregulated box mods and the need for a mosfet with logic switches." And those have a minimum resistance level due to the amount of current the switch or mosfet can handle.

But there is also unregulated box mods just made with solid copper wires and plating that make the same "dumb" style circuit as a tube mod and the switch is simply a piece of metal that completes the circuit and those can fire down as low as your battery can handle...the battery has a amp limit, not the box itself

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

and another thing...I didn't write what I wrote to call you out and say your wrong...whenever I make a post about sub ohming in the "help" section I do it with the assumption that someone is new and may not have all the knowledge...not to talk down to them, but to protect them and keep their safety in mind. I am not going to tell anyone to just by an RDA and go build .15....That would be reckless...especially if they don't have any knowledge of ohms law and battery safety and never worked with an RDA....I've had shorts, my buddy almost vented like I said...things can go wrong and it's better to start with safety in mind than just tell someone that anything will be fine without knowing the potential dangers of something that can go wrong....I care more about people's safety than blowing big clouds. I don't even know if they guy has an ohm's meter and I've had ohm's meters that were off by .04.....

.04 once you get below .2 is a dangerously huge jump in amps and as you get below .2 then a build reading .04 lower than what you think it is can have bad shit happen...we all know it...there is documented proof of it...and id rather give advice on the side of safety than being cool....The last thing we need as a community is the media getting hold of another story of a guy blowing up a mod because he didn't know what he was doing....but thought it was ok because someone said so....Safety first my friend...than clouds. We have to think on a community basis if we don't want the FDA to have their way...and to make sure we're all safe together

Lil T Flex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That would fall under the "faulty usage or equipment". Your buddy had the wrong equipment and he used it recklessly. Read the whole comment before you shoot your mouth off. If you use the right equipment correctly, it doesn't matter how low you go. I never said safety isn't my concern. I don't know where you pulled that idea from. I'm saying that you need to use the proper equipment the right way for it to be safe

Lil T Flex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And actually, you still are wrong. I never said anything about them being regulated. Just the simple fact that all mods have a different natural resistance and that different resistance builds will not work on different mods. For example, a .05 build will not work on an unregulated box that runs double 18650's. It will vent. Not "it might". It will. Or blow out another part. Which, in turn, means that there is a minimum resistance level that works on the mod. The same goes for mechs. Please don't try to explain to me how box mods work. I've been building them for a very long time.

VU Sponsors