Coil Problem

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been getting very frustrated with dual coil's lately. I have a haze rda mainly use a chuff cap on it on my ipv2.1. so this rda has 4 post which really makes it alot easier then my tugboat v2. But i have been having issues doing dual coil's. Sometimes one coil will be very delayed, one glows instantly & one will be slower sometimes alot slower. Another issue i have somtimes is the coil will start glowing from one side, i know they should glow from middle of coil out. I know the glowing uneven is fixed by tightening screws. But i get them tight, screws on my haze are long which i like so they dont get stripped trying to tighten like shorts screws. But i get them tight and even cut legs somtimes & need to restart, ive heard to tighten just till some resistance & the leg starts lifting, but then if one coil is uneven it has to be tightened more n more then it snaps on me. Very frustrating, wasting wire, time. ALso both coils are even wraps, i use a kuro coiler type thing that makes perfect coils. I just need to brush them with screwdriver to rid hot spots. Tightening screws doesnt seam to be working for this issue. I have built funtional dual coils before btw.

Scooby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Are you pulsing the coils until they glow then squeezing them with tweezers ? Also what gauge wire and what's the resistance coming out to ?

Kent B Marshall

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IMO, you have tested the obvious. Matched coils and tightening the secure screws. Both would cause this.
When this happens again, switch the middle leads and see if this reverses the problem to the other coil. Could be the rda.

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only other thing I could think of is legs of uneven length, but it would have to be a pretty wide variance to make much difference in ramp up time...

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had this happening. I built the coils with a coiler lit em up squeezed them together still not firing right. Put a drill bit through the coil (fit tight) moved it around a bit and voila! lit evenly and from the inside out. Sometimes you just have to mess with them a bit.

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Usually 26 gauge but i have dual coil 24 gauge in atm. 24 gauge 9 wraps 2.5 I.D, .3 ohm, 50 watts. Or i had same issue with 26 gauge 8 or 9 wraps .5 ohm. Yes after installing first coil i cut leads, then install second, cut its leads. Pulse mod then the strumming technique to rid hot spots, pulse & pinch. The positive lead on second installed coil cant be cut short like rest since other coil is in way, its ok to leave it like 3-5 mm as long as i push it up or down right?

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I do is when the leg is long before cutting I hold the coil then take the leg and wiggle it back and forth till it snaps. So I don't cut it. Always breaks right at the post with no excess.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Only other thing I could think of is legs of uneven length, but it would have to be a pretty wide variance to make much difference in ramp up time...
My vote is on the length of the legs as well. In addition, tightening the screws too much, squeezing the wires to change the wires diameter, can cause additional resistance as well.

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok thanks for the tips. When i center coil's it makes legs longer obviously, is it ok to have longer legs centering, they just need to be pretty well the same each coil.. or are short legs, uncentered coils real close coils to post, but not touching posts, better?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok thanks for the tips. When i center coil's it makes legs longer obviously, is it ok to have longer legs centering, they just need to be pretty well the same each coil.. or are short legs, uncentered coils real close coils to post, but not touching posts, better?
To deliver equal power to each coil, you want them the same size, including the legs - so it's fine to center them and leave the leg leading to the negative post a little long, but it should be close to equally long on both sides.

VU Sponsors