Become a Patron!

Coil Size Incongruencies

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I measured myscrewdriver I wrap on at 3/8ths of an inch. That's 0.24 inches. In the mm to inch converter, that's a hair more than 6mm. Yet, when I see build videos of people doing 3.5mm coils, they look like they're twice the size of my coils. Why is that?

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The style of lense and filming

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yeah but when they hold the 3.5mm bar up against their hand, it looks thicker than my screwdriver. Idk, I'm just paranoid that my measurements are wrong which would throw off my Ohm calculations you know?

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, lol its good your trying to take all the precautions you can. Honestly if you want a good set of screwdrivers to wrap coils for cheap go to dollar general or whatever dollar store equivalent you have in your area and pick up a set of precision screwdrivers they should only be a buck or 2 at most and work great (I went that route for almost 2 years and it worked great) . Btw I sent you another pm last night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3/8 of an inch is 0.375" almost 10mm not 0.24.

Things always look bigger on video.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You SURE about that screwdriver?
6mm coil won't FIT in most RDA's...

I measured myscrewdriver I wrap on at 3/8ths of an inch. That's 0.24 inches. In the mm to inch converter, that's a hair more than 6mm. Yet, when I see build videos of people doing 3.5mm coils, they look like they're twice the size of my coils. Why is that?

wooten

Member For 3 Years
If my calculations are correct - 3/8 of an inch is ~0,95 cm. And that would be really thick screwdriver ;) it's close to a size of AAA type battery ;)

So try to mesure it again :)

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FYI - for comparison. Typical pencil (regular yellow #2 type thing) is 7mm. That's a big-ass coil.
Not impossible - but unusual for sure!

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see how you would fit a 0.95cm coil in anything, you sure you didn't get confused and it's a 1/8 screwdriver?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see how you would fit a 0.95cm coil in anything, you sure you didn't get confused and it's a 1/8 screwdriver?
That would be 0.325mm.

You know the easy way to figure out future builds is to recreate the ones you currently use.

Imo flavor and vapor quality is the most important part of the vape...... play around with steamengine. Pay particular attention to the Heat flux and capacity numbers.... those 2 values and their relation to each other have the biggest affect on vapor performance and quality. Just remember a big coil doesn't have to get as hot as a small coil to transmit more heat. Coils that get hot fast get cold fast. Big slower ramping high capacity coil can take so long to cool down. They can burn a wick while cooling.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, correct my math if it's inaccurate, but this is how I measured and calculated: I took the bit and lined it up on my tape measurer. It was 3/8 of an inch. 1 [inch] divided by 8 [because there's 8 1/8ths in an inch] is 0.08. 0.08 times 3 [because it's 3/8ths, not just one] is 0.24, which is 0.01 shy of 0.25 which is a quarter inch. In a mm to inch converter, 0.24 inches is 6.096mm.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
An inch is 2.54 cm or 25.4 mm, so 3/8 inch is 0.95 cm or 9.5 mm.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nevermind, I'm a fucking dumbass. I just went and rechecked, the lines I was counting were 1/16, not 1/8. so it's 3/16ths bit, not 3/8ths, my bad.

RenThe10th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And apparently the calculatot on my phone is fucking retarded. 1 divided by 8 is not 0.08 like it told me, it's 0.125. My bad everyone.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When you convert a fraction to a decimal all you have to do is divide the top number by the bottom. 3 divided by 8 equals .375. 1/8 of an inch is .125.

Your math is just wrong.

VU Sponsors