Colin Farrell Tested His Penguin Prosthetics from The Batman in a Starbucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Colin Farrell has revealed that he once visited a Starbucks with his Penguin prosthetics on, and nobody recognized him despite getting "a couple of stares" from people.

Farrell is playing Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin in Matt Reeves' The Batman, and many would agree that the actor is barely recognizable in the role but the makeup and prosthetics team needed to actually put that to the test. Farrell recently told Collider that he took his new look for "a spin" by visiting Starbucks on the very first day of his villainous transformation.

"The first day we tried the whole thing out, we took it for a drive, a spin metaphorically speaking," Farrell revealed. "We did it in Burbank. It took about six or eight hours. It was a team of ten or fifteen people. And it was really fun. I went into Starbucks and ordered myself a very un-Oswald drink, an oat milk latte with two stevia sweeteners. I got a couple of stares but only because it's such an imposing look."

Farrell credited makeup artist Mike Marino for doing the "heavy lifting" on his new appearance, which also included wearing a fat suit as a way to circumvent health issues after dealing with weight changes from a previous role. The overall change was so drastic that even a cast member mistook him for a random "overconfident" extra on the film's set.

"I arrived on set and there was this guy walking around who was being so overconfident," Rupert Penry-Jones told MovieWeb. "I started noticing things about his costume. He had a brace on his leg and these weird scars on his face, and I thought, 'This is quite a lot of effort they've gone to for a supporting artist...' and suddenly I realized, 'Wait a minute this guy must be playing the Penguin, oh my God that's Colin Farrell!'"

Aside from the obvious change in the looks department, Farrell is expected to deliver a very different take on the Oswald Cobblepot character. In fact, he recently drew comparisons between his version of The Penguin and Fredo Corleone from The Godfather, explaining how he used Corleone as "a bit of a reference" in his depiction of the famous Batman villain.

The anticipation continues to build as we edge closer to seeing the latest iteration of The Penguin on the big screen, and yet Farrell's character is only said to be appearing in "five or six scenes" of the movie, which is not a huge amount considering that it's going to be the longest Batman film of all time when it finally arrives in theaters on March 4.

Adele Ankers-Range is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors