Corsair K100 RGB Optical Gaming Keyboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
A good gaming keyboard is more than just flashy RGB and some decently fast response times. Sure those are important, but there needs to be a little more, especially when it comes to esports or games that require more than just directional buttons and a gaming mouse. There needs to be the whole package. Corsair has attempted to do just that. The company has taken its flagship, the Corsair K95 RGB Platinum XT keyboard, thrown in its in-house switches, added a dial, and refined the design for what has become the new king of the hill. The result is the Corsair K100 RGB optical-mechanical keyboard. Is it perfect? Not quite. Like its predecessor, it’s among the more expensive options available. But it does a whole lot and does it well. The unit we tested features Corsair’s OPX switches, but it will also be available with Cherry MX speed switches for a fully mechanical experience. [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=corsair-k100-rgb-review&captions=true"]

Corsair K100 RGB – Design and Features​

The Corsair K100 RGB is big. It has a large band across the top which carries the control dial, profile, and Win key disable button on one side, an LED in the middle that indicates when certain functions (like caps lock) are engaged, and a volume scroll and mute button on the other. This adds a bit of desk real estate to the keyboard’s profile, which also includes a full keyboard layout and a column of customizable “G keys” situated on the left. Add in a robust wrist rest and you’ll see that this is going to need some room to fit on a desk. But it also looks good. It has plenty of gamer aesthetic, but not so much to detract from its gorgeous looks. The top of the chassis is made of anodized, brushed aluminum while underneath is made of durable plastic with large rubber pads to keep the keyboard stable. [poilib element="poll" parameters="id=65f35e6c-3767-4ff5-809a-a1d00c7c2601"] The keys themselves are raised above the chassis and have a lovely textured feel to them. That texture is supposed to help resist wear on the key caps. Also helping to resist wear and fading is the fact that the keycaps are 1.5mm thick and made of PBT, which is known for its durability. The G keys stand out with grey topped key caps while the media keys just below the volume scroll have a glossier look and feel to them. The only key that will feel fairly different is the textured volume scroll on the right, which seems to be made of a nice aluminum and is probably my new favorite way of controlling the volume. Because the keys are raised though, it’s not particularly dust-resistant. Corsair K100 RGB Review A single pass-through port sits to the right of where the cable is attached to the keyboard. Speaking of the cable, it’s an incredibly thick, braided cable since it houses two USB-A connectors, one for the pass-through port. Underneath, you’ll notice two feet that kick out to the sides instead of to the back like most keyboards as well as channels for cable management. The channels are fairly narrow so only thinner cables, such as the ones attached to a mouse, will fit through. It’s a great idea but I wish the channels were a little wider – I had trouble passing my phone charging cable through. Possibly the most striking addition to the keyboard though is the control dial situated in the upper left side of the keyboard. It has a button centered inside it that lights up with Corsair’s iCue software. When you press the button, it and the dial will change colors and, depending on the color, lets you adjust certain settings. For example, when blue, turning the dial will raise or lower the keyboard’s backlighting. You can also skip tracks in a playlist, zoom in and out or even switch applications. Not only is it a welcome addition, but it has a nice tactile feel to it as well. Corsair K100 RGB Review If you’re not using a computer with the iCue software however, you might have some limited functionality. In the default profile, only 4 of the 8 dial functions are enabled. Also, if you want to create your own function for the dial, it takes a few steps. You have to create a hardware action like you would a macro, save it, and then create a new setting under Dial Control where you can add the hardware action to the dial. Like most top-of-the-line gaming keyboards, the K100 RGB spares no expense when it comes to RGB lighting. 44 unique RGB zones cover the keyboard. That includes the keys, dial, Corsair logo in the center as well as the side and back panels of the keyboard. It’s incredibly customizable through iCue. You can have multiple presets on different sections of the keyboard. If you don’t have access to iCue, you can go through presets using the function key and the number keys at the top. G-keys 1 The Corsair K100 RGB comes in two variants – with Cherry MX speed switches or Corsair’s own OPX switches. The OPX switches, which we got with our review unit, are optical mechanical switches that require just the lightest touch to actuate. That’s thanks to a 1.0mm actuation distance and an immediate key reset. Not only are they feather light to the touch but they’re also guaranteed for 150 million keystrokes before failure. One of the keyboard’s other top selling points is its Axon Hyper-Processing technology which allows the keyboard to have 4000Hz hyper-polling and 4000Hz key scanning. This is four times faster than most gaming keyboards, which max out at 1000Hz. This allows for incredibly quick communication between the keyboard and the computer. If you’re thinking of upgrading from a gaming keyboard, the difference won’t be night and day. But you will feel just a little more on top of your presses. And any button mashers out there should be happy to note that the keyboard comes with N-key rollover so you won’t get any missed or wrong presses. Lastly, it should be noted that the K100 comes with 8MB of onboard storage to allow for up to 200 profiles to be stored on the keyboard. If you want to save all your preferences and macros on the keyboard (if, for some reason, you’re going to use it with a gaming PC where you won’t have access to iCue or the time to set it up), you can do that and have access to your favorite settings without the need for the software. Corsair K100 RGB Review

Corsair K100 RGB – Software​

Anyone who’s familiar with Corsair has dabbled in iCue, the company’s hub for controlling all the settings in its peripherals. For those who are not, it may look only like the app to control your Corsair product’s RGB lighting. And while it can definitely do that, it’s also where you remap keys, create Macros, and adjust other settings, such as the polling rate in the case of this keyboard. It’s not the most intuitive software, often requiring a few steps to achieve the desired effect. The steps mentioned earlier about creating custom settings for the dial are a testament to its counterintuitive process. That said, once you get used to it, there’s really an opportunity to get into the nitty gritty of your peripherals. With the K100, for example, you can remap the whole keyboard to a different layout. You can also remap each individual key to trigger a macro, launch an application, have its own RGB lighting, and more. You can dig in deep but it comes with a learning curve. The K100 also can interact with one other app – Corsair’s Elgato software, meant for streamers using Corsair’s streaming decks. Through that software, you can create shortcuts that are mapped to your choice of G Key to trigger when you want, whether it’s to start recording, open a game, take a screenshot, or stream. Corsair K100 RGB Review

Corsair K100 RGB – Performance​

The Corsair K100 RGB is as fast as advertised. Even using the lightest touch I could muster, I got immediate responses from the keyboard. And no matter how quickly I pressed, the keyboard kept up with ease. I tried testing with online typing games and the only hang ups were my own misspellings. With AAA games, there was absolutely no lag thanks to its 4000Hz polling rate. Regardless of the game, there weren’t any response or press issues with the K100. For example, with the new Marvel Avengers game, you need to use a number of keys in conjunction with the mouse to trigger special and power. Those key presses are often right next to the WASD buttons, which controls movement in the game. Because it’s a fast-paced action game, there’s a lot of scrambling to press those buttons – the kind of thing that often results in missed presses. However, thanks to that incredible polling rate, the 1.0mm actuation rate, and the N-key rollover, I ended up spending a lot less time button-mashing while having my character do exactly what I want them to do. Corsair K100 RGB Review The G keys, on the other hand, are a mostly nice touch. The way they’re situated means it takes a little stretching to access them, but it’s nice to have an extra set of keys that can be devoted entirely to macros. I tested them by creating macros for Avengers and Death Stranding and, other than reaching, was able to use them in a pinch. With iCue, you can put your macros anywhere on the keyboard – something that streamers will probably appreciate. They’re perfect for triggering different out-of-game commands without interrupting the game layout. However, since I wasn’t used to the G keys, I did have a habit of constantly pressing the top G key instead of Escape when I wanted to pause my game. As far as other keys go, there are some standard media keys, a Win lock key and profile switch key that was simple to use. The volume scroll, in particular, should be mandatory on all keyboards. The new dial was a nice addition to this updated keyboard but does require going into iCue or the manual to understand what the different settings are. Once you have a handle on it, it’s easy and a nice shortcut for doing things like adjusting the keyboard brightness or recording a macro without using iCue (though the latter required a quick read of the manual as well). [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=best-gaming-keyboards&captions=true"]

Corsair K100 RGB – Purchasing Guide​

The Corsair K100 RGB retails for $229.99 and is available at Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, and through most major retailers.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors