Become a Patron!

Cotton candy wicking questions

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sooo..first off..as a new builder, I went into my local B&M and was going to grab some building supplies. I left with some 26g kanthal and cotton candy wicking material. He said it would give me great flavor, and I'd never wanna go to straight cotton after that.

I am building on an avocsdo, and have had mediocre success with cotton candy. Some times it wicks great, other times I get a dry hit after two hits. I've watched many avocado wicking vids, so I think I'm not messing it up. I loosely have the wicking in the coils, and I barely have it stuck into the juice holes. When I am priming the cotton, it doesn't really seem all that absorbent and seems to take time to get soaked in. Anybody out there with tips on this stuff?
5baedcfc58821fae23060118cdc273d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me, I get along better with Cotton Bacon and I also use more of it.
But everyone is different.

rsimpson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I tried cotton candy and didn't care for it myself, had the same issue with dry hits. I stick with rayon or japanese organic cotton myself

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems like it would be OK for a dripper....where you are soaking manually and not wicking from a tank?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
maybe the problem is you are using some kind of "method".

Me I insert the amount of wick the build requires. Then cut the legs to 1/2" to 3/4", push them into the tank..... Fill, I'm single coil, so insert spacer/plug, add a drop or 2 on the coil, put on cap. Reduce watts to 1/2 what I'm going to vape. Take a few short draws.. Turn wattage back up.... Enjoy.

FWIW, My wick always brush the bottom of the tank........ I think the barely covering the hole methods lead to dry hits and leakage. I find you get the best hit when you get as much wick as possible submerged in juice. Yeah i loose about 25% of the juice capacity. But I don't get dry hits.. even with an empty tank. No tipping required. And I can lay my mod on it side.

Last edited:
I always use the cotton rolls like you buy at Sally's beauty supply it's just cotton in a roll reminds me of cotton bacon except it's 3.00 for 250 ft and it wicks awesome in my avocado and limitless let your wick almost touch the bottom of the tank and make it tight enough in the coil you can feel a little resistance hope this helps it has helped me alot

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OH... don't force the cotton into the tank. That can lead to a burnt wick. Gently poke it through with something small.. Smallest screwdriver you got or even better sewing needle/pin. Few pokes around the perimeter and you both push it through and fluff it up at the same time. As with all cotton give it a few minutes to ABSORB the Juice... Cotton has to absorb juice to saturation BEFORE it starts wicking to the coil....

BaronVonEyePoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I personally tuck the cotton just in through the holes on my avocado to where I can't even see the cotton in the tank if u are looking straight at it, and I don't have to tilt and I don't get dry hits. Use just enough cotton to lightly plug the holes and u should be good. Wicking this way I can even hold the avocado upside down and it won't leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Yes you don't want to over wick, but I'll tell you the wicking job on the first pic looks like there isn't enough..
af51fa30f836857a3d42c8c6a888409c.jpg
055202f6295b803d680af13a665393f2.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors