Become a Patron!

Cotton Question

vapemesilly

Member For 4 Years
I just made my first two coils. I have the Kanger Subtank Mini RBA and the Aspire Triton RTA and have built my first coil for each. Haven't tried either yet so I don't know how successful I was. My question is about the cotton. On both builds I pretty much put as much cotton as I could into the coil. Now, I'm not so sure that was the right thing to do. How much cotton does one put into a build? A little? As much as you can? Does it matter? Will too much cotton prevent proper flow of juice or cause some other issue? Does too little cotton shorten the lifespan of the coil?

It's just cotton, right?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too much cotton will choke off the wicking. Dry hits

Too little cotton will not contact the coil properly, will breakdown, and may flood your tank.

Wicking is the trickiest part of building. Gotta be just right. Should pull through coils with barely any resistance, but some resistance.
Cotton will swell up with juice. So, less is more in general. Rayon does not swell up, but actually sags a bit, so want rayon tight in the coil.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There are plenty of great videos on YouTube that cover wicking the rba base for the STM. That tank was extremely popular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The best way to explain it is that the cotton has to be tight enough so it won't move freely and loose enough so it will move easily in the coil when you pull it.
If the cotton is too tight in the coil you should pull it from side to side until it's not.

A good way to know if you used too much after it's used when you replace the cotton and intend to dry burn is to loosen and straighten the cotton on both sides and pull it out from one side, if you end up with half a wick in your hand it's a sign you had too much.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use the "pancake" method for that rba. Sorry, I don't have a link. It's on the youtube, though.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
There are plenty of great videos on YouTube that cover wicking the rba base for the STM. That tank was extremely popular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is the best answer IME ^^^^^

I might also add it is very, very important to find a vid that is specific to your RTA - wicking can be very different between atties as far as the amount of wick and how it is placed

vapemesilly

Member For 4 Years
Watching Youtube videos sounds an awful lot like reading the instructions BEFORE you build whatever it is you are going to build. That might explain why my model airplanes all turned out really bad when I was a kid.

I will watch some vids and fix my homemade coils before firing them up. Thanks.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just made my first two coils. I have the Kanger Subtank Mini RBA and the Aspire Triton RTA and have built my first coil for each. Haven't tried either yet so I don't know how successful I was. My question is about the cotton. On both builds I pretty much put as much cotton as I could into the coil. Now, I'm not so sure that was the right thing to do. How much cotton does one put into a build? A little? As much as you can? Does it matter? Will too much cotton prevent proper flow of juice or cause some other issue? Does too little cotton shorten the lifespan of the coil?

It's just cotton, right?

I've got the Kanger Mini RBA Plus, my Triton RTA kit is in transit still. When I cotton it up I use a 3mm wide strip, but my coil ID is 2.5mm. So, my theory on this was .5mm wider than my inner ID to make it "snug" but not tight.
How did you wrap your coil? Details on the coil specs would be nice to see for this.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

VU Sponsors