Become a Patron!

County man's death from drinking liquid nicotine is only the fifth ever recorded in the world

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.u...in-the-world/story-29675925-detail/story.html

"This is a very rare occurrence and we do not see very many deaths by ingestion of liquid nicotine.

"The public at large might not be aware of the risks about death from liquid nicotine.

"I hope this death will serve as a warning to others and perhaps save lives in the future."

You have got to be fucking kidding me.
The fact that there are millions of people using eliquid daily paired with the fact that this is only the FIFTH death ever recored since history started would lead me to believe that the public IS VERY WELL AWARE of the dangers of drinking liquid nicotine.
Wouldn't you think? - 5150

Last edited:

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Confused. The story states the man said he was going to drink liquid nicotine and go see his dad. But they don't want to label it suicide?????

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Confused. The story states the man said he was going to drink liquid nicotine and go see his dad. But they don't want to label it suicide?????

"He was someone who was dependent on alcohol but did not drink it every day."

If you are "dependent" on something you sure as hell use it everyday or try to unless you like going through withdrawal :facepalm:

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually, I thought the deaths from nicotine would be more numerous. With all the media attention on vaping, spouting the extreme dangers of nicotine, you would think something like this would happen much more often. Tragic when it does though.

Any description of death by nicotine is not pretty. Sounds like you better have lots of alcohol to make the stuff palatable.

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Drinking a case between Friday and Sunday and being "sober" Monday to Friday is still considered alcoholism. It's not a matter of how much and how often, it's a matter of not being able not to when you want to.

I think it's pretty clear that anyone who has liquid nic laying around knows how dangerous it is, not matter what the intended purpose of that nicotine is. So, to actually drink it? Yeah, pretty clear he wanted something to happen, whether it was a cry for help or a successful attempt.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
"Now he felt he could not cope with what was happening to his son."

So now we have an addict that couldn't "cope"

"On the way home Clinton bought four cans of strong cider and drank one as soon as he came back.

At about 1am he went to an old night garage and bought a one litre bottle of vodka which he drunk,"

So now we have a piss drunk addict that couldn't "cope"

"During the early hours of the morning at about 5am, Emma was woken up by Clinton who said he had to go to heaven to be with his dad who had died 6 years ago.

He was going to drink liquid nicotine and she should look after the kids."

So now we have a piss drunk addict that couldn't "cope" who told someone he "had to go to heaven"

"She told the court she did not believe Clinton meant to take his own life as he had made threats before when drunk and when he woke the next day he never remembered anything.

Summing up the coroner, Hassan Shah said after much deliberation he did not believe this was suicide but said he would say the death was drug related but in brackets saying liquid nicotine."

So now we have a piss drunk addict that couldn't "cope" who told someone he "had to go to heaven" that threatened suicide numerous times but the coroner DOESN'T believe this was a suicide!!!???

What the fuck would it take to get tagged with a suicide in this town?

OR they'd rather use this story as the "scary evil effect" of "accidental" liquid nicotine ingestion?

Now it's all coming together - 5150

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
He could have killed himself with Drain-O. The nic wasn't the culprit. The alcohol was.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Actually, I thought the deaths from nicotine would be more numerous. With all the media attention on vaping, spouting the extreme dangers of nicotine, you would think something like this would happen much more often. Tragic when it does though.

Any description of death by nicotine is not pretty. Sounds like you better have lots of alcohol to make the stuff palatable.

There was the one where the toddlers parents "just turned around to put a sponge bob movie in" and little junior had already drank the nicotine, seized, completely died and was purple in that length of time.

I always thought that one was one of two things.

1) The worst case of child neglect ever.
(parents left toddler in house alone for numerous hours while getting high at a neighbors house, came home, found toddler dead and had to cover their tracks)

2) just plain murder
(parents no longer wanted toddler)

Then there was the guy who injected himself with liquid nicotine in order to kill himself.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems very clear. And that's the problem, not the nicotine. Don't try to tie it back to 'vaping fluids'. There were problems, alcohol couldn't cover it, and he felt hopeless. But that gets too personal; easier to blame it on something else. Less than half a dozen deaths in the entire world???

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Drinking a case between Friday and Sunday and being "sober" Monday to Friday is still considered alcoholism. It's not a matter of how much and how often, it's a matter of not being able not to when you want to.

I think it's pretty clear that anyone who has liquid nic laying around knows how dangerous it is, not matter what the intended purpose of that nicotine is. So, to actually drink it? Yeah, pretty clear he wanted something to happen, whether it was a cry for help or a successful attempt.

That's called binge drinking not alcohol dependence.
College kids are real good at binge drinking and do it regularly
Dependence would mean that there would have to be some sort of withdrawal or unplesurable effect if the drug one was dependent on were taken away for any length of time.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I prefer bleach or Draino myself:vino:

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The DSM (basically the handbook of mental conditions and their diagnoses) would disagree with you. There absolutely is such a thing as functional alcoholism, which can include abstaining during the work week.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The DSM (basically the handbook of mental conditions and their diagnoses) would disagree with you. There absolutely is such a thing as functional alcoholism, which can include abstaining during the work week.

The article said this: "He was someone who was dependent on alcohol but did not drink it every day."
There is a difference between being a functional alcoholic and being dependent on alcohol.

My ex girlfriend's sister was dependant and functioning.
She had warm beers hidden all over the house, the car, the bushes outside and even at my exes house.
Her husband didn't understand dependence and addiction because he thought by forcing Her to not go anywhere but work and not drink that it was going to make Her stop.

she would wake up, drink a beer in the shower, drink one on the way to work, during Her smoke break, at lunch, etc...

if she didn't drink she would go into convulsions.

that's dependence.

if you can skip entire days without drinking you can surely be an alcoholic but that doesn't make you dependant.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Clearly the alcohol made this individual suicidal. He was self medicating with the booze, while suffering depression. The kid needed professional help but never received it in time. Alcohol affects people differently.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"He was someone who was dependent on alcohol but did not drink it every day."

If you are "dependent" on something you sure as hell use it everyday or try to unless you like going through withdrawal :facepalm:

Mostly, yeah, but alcoholism is very weird. One can be a binge drinker; go days or weeks without any, it's just that once you start, you don't have an off switch. My last year of drinking was very much like that; I kept trying to prove "I could handle it." What I proved is that once I start, I don't have an off switch. :D

Andria

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Mostly, yeah, but alcoholism is very weird. One can be a binge drinker; go days or weeks without any, it's just that once you start, you don't have an off switch. My last year of drinking was very much like that; I kept trying to prove "I could handle it." What I proved is that once I start, I don't have an off switch. :D

Andria

There are alcoholics that are not dependent on alcohol.
They can get through the day without drinking a drop and they will not go through withdrawal

There are also alcoholics who will go into withdrawal if they don't have a drink as soon as they wake up

They are both alcoholics but there is a difference between the two.

Another fun thing to try is using the DSM definition of addiction prove "nicotine addiction" exists.
It is impossible to prove that nicotine "addiction" exists using the DSM 4/5 definition of addiction.
Addiction is a term that ANTZ and policy makers have attached to the back of nicotine and said it over and over again so many times that now it is considered true even though it's not.

They do this all the time. For instance:

E-cigarettes are a big tobacco plot to hook children to nicotine
Smokeless Tobacco causes oral cancer
Smokeless Tobacco is as bad as smoking
Nicotine is the most addictive drug on earth.
Etc...

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Everyone who has ever gotten drunk and had a hangover has had withdrawal symptoms. This is why the "hair of the dog that bit you" remedy actually works. There are many kinds of dependence. One needn't be physically dependent upon alcohol to be dependent. Addiction and dependence go hand in hand.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Everyone who has ever gotten drunk and had a hangover has had withdrawal symptoms. This is why the "hair of the dog that bit you" remedy actually works. There are many kinds of dependence. One needn't be physically dependent upon alcohol to be dependent. Addiction and dependence go hand in hand.

We are obviously not talking about the same thing here.

Everyone who has ever gotten drunk and had a hangover is not dependent on alcohol.

THIS is alcohol dependence:

Alcohol withdrawal syndrome is a potentially life-threatening condition that can occur in people who have been drinking heavily for weeks, months, or years and then either stop or significantly reduce their alcohol consumption.

Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can begin as early as two hours after the last drink, persist for weeks, and range from mild anxiety and shakiness to severe complications, such as seizures and delirium tremens (also called DTs). The death rate from DTs -- which are characterized by confusion, rapid heartbeat, and fever -- is estimated to range from 1% to 5%.

Because alcohol withdrawal symptoms can rapidly worsen, it's important to seek medical attention even if symptoms are seemingly mild. Appropriate alcohol withdrawal treatments can reduce the risk of developing withdrawal seizures or DTs.

It's especially important to see a doctor if you've experienced previous alcohol withdrawal episodes or if you have other health conditions such as infections, heart disease, lung disease, or a history of seizures.

Some people who drink have THIS ^^^ happen and some don't

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Only by your chosen linked information. You might want to check the definition in the DSM, which is the medically accepted definition. You're talking about DEGREES of alcoholism/dependence, not the actual working diagnostic criteria. Someone who scores illicit drugs every weekend, but only on the weekend, and can't let a weekend or two go by without them is addicted. Someone who does those same drugs every day is also addicted. The only difference is in degree of addiction. And, dependent on the individual, the "casual addict" may actually have a more difficult time giving that drug up than the "chronic addict", being less likely to want to quit because he or she is maintaining an otherwise "normal" life.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Andria
Same here. Then I wanted to stop but, couldn't. Spent 12 days in detox, and 4 months in rehab. Haven't drank since :)

KDodds

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
9 years next month. Thanks dude :)
That's awesome. I lost 4 of 7 cousins to addiction, another one due to the after effects of long term casual alcoholism. The remaining 2 are clean now, for decades.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's awesome. I lost 4 of 7 cousins to addiction, another one due to the after effects of long term casual alcoholism. The remaining 2 are clean now, for decades.
Sorry to hear that man. Addition is a terrible disease. I'm glad the remaining 2 are doing great :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We are obviously not talking about the same thing here.

Everyone who has ever gotten drunk and had a hangover is not dependent on alcohol.

THIS is alcohol dependence:

Alcohol withdrawal syndrome is a potentially life-threatening condition that can occur in people who have been drinking heavily for weeks, months, or years and then either stop or significantly reduce their alcohol consumption.

Alcohol withdrawal symptoms can begin as early as two hours after the last drink, persist for weeks, and range from mild anxiety and shakiness to severe complications, such as seizures and delirium tremens (also called DTs). The death rate from DTs -- which are characterized by confusion, rapid heartbeat, and fever -- is estimated to range from 1% to 5%.

Because alcohol withdrawal symptoms can rapidly worsen, it's important to seek medical attention even if symptoms are seemingly mild. Appropriate alcohol withdrawal treatments can reduce the risk of developing withdrawal seizures or DTs.

It's especially important to see a doctor if you've experienced previous alcohol withdrawal episodes or if you have other health conditions such as infections, heart disease, lung disease, or a history of seizures.

Some people who drink have THIS ^^^ happen and some don't

My last hangover, which resulted from drinking only a 6 pk the night before (from which I had gotten as drunk as I previously got from an entire case of beer), could probably have been classified as "delirium tremens." I shook so hard, so continuously, I couldn't even stay on the bed; I had to lay on the floor after I fell off the bed a few times. Truly, I thought I might be dying, and I kept the phone near me all day long, just in case I had to call 911. Somehow I survived it, but everytime it occurred to me that there was a 12pk in the fridge, that some hair of the dog would make me all better, the shaking and godawful nausea would start all over again and go on for an hour or two. By that night, I had accepted that if I drank, it really might kill me. The next day, I didn't feel much better, but at least I didn't shake so hard or so badly; when my husband got home from work, he asked if i wanted a beer, and I shook my head, afraid to talk for fear of throwing up. he asked me if I wanted to go to an AA meeting, I said I did, but I didn't have the physical ability to get dressed. Same the next day, but when he asked if I wanted to go to a meeting, I asked him to help me get dressed, and take me there. He did... and he also drank that 12pk himself, all during that week, but then, in support, he has also not had another drink since then. We both just celebrated 24 yrs sober in August.

Andria

VU Sponsors