Couple Denied Adoption Due To Vaping

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A couple in England who was trying to adopt a child was barred from doing so by Staffordshire County council social workers, because the would-be father was seen vaping an e-cigarette.

After paying over £20,000 for failed fertility treatment, the couple approached the council in December 2013 and began a long series of tests to qualify as parents. They went through medical examinations and interviews to prove they were of sound character and financially capable of raising a child. At the time, the would-be father was a light smoker of normal cigarettes, but one of the requirements for adoption is that, in the case of children under five, potential adopters do not smoke; so the would-be father stopped smoking. He hadn't had a real cigarette in months and was using e-cigarettes as a cessation aid, to ease the nicotine cravings. But when a social worker saw him using the e-cigarette, everything changed. The next day, the council said it would not place the child with them, telling the potential father to stop using e-cigs for an entire year and then reapply.

“When there are so many children desperate for a family and a stable home, to put up such trivial barriers is ridiculous,” said the couple, who wish to remain anonymous. “It made us feel judged and worthless, that you are a lesser person if you smoke e-cigarettes.”

http://vaporacle.blogspot.com/2015/02/couple-denied-adoption-due-to-vaping.html

Last edited:

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
560f6e99bc517bf1eb62fb8153bd69f2cba8e1057f5231bcba9452564148925f.jpg

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
WTFUDGE!!! not cool
VAPE ON
I know. Crazy. Right? Apparently the protest over this has forced the council to start changing its policy.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I suppose the next set of requirements will include both parents being vegans, not participating in religion, and growing organic Kale in their garden boxes.

I'd say that if the social worker, or anyone on the council smoked in front of their children, they need to be sacked. Nothing but petty power abusers. The same the world over....

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I suppose the next set of requirements will include both parents being vegans, not participating in religion, and growing organic Kale in their garden boxes.

I'd say that if the social worker, or anyone on the council smoked in front of their children, they need to be sacked. Nothing but petty power abusers. The same the world over....
Parents should not be able to drink coffee. Too much caffeine might make them irritable and abuse the children.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yea, forgot about the coffee....

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year