Become a Patron!

Custard / Vanilla-ee / Buttery flavor issues -

notagoodnameleft

Member For 4 Years
We avoid Diacetyl - which most flavor/extract places replaced with Acetyl propionyl and Acetoin - but now its shown that in most circumstances there is a chemical reaction and a small amount of Acetyl Propionyl or Acetoin will transform to Diacetyl... Great...

I'm in quest of some type of replacement for the Sinnabun that NiQuid used to make (and I assume that its because of this - they discontinued)... Sinnabun mixed 2/3rds with a red hot cinnamon (1/3) creates a savory and smooth all day vape... I've a need for custardy / buttery type - but have managed with out it... Many flavors suffer from the lack of this ingredient - and therefore my question is...

What is everyone else doing? Do you accept the risk and simply use flavorings which has Acetoin or Acetyl Propionyl (or both)... I've noticed most shop owners we have talked with simply assume there isn't that much Diacetyl (transformed) so they don't worry about it... What do you use? Does your vendor validate and claim to no use of any of these chemicals?

Thoughts? Ideas?

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After 50 years of smoking, yes i accept the risk this may bring...
I lover me some Custards, have not found alot of good ones but i still look for one.

Most of my venders I use list or warn that they may be those things in that flavor.
All have stopped using Diacetyl but as you say, other things can transform into something just as bad.

again, after 50 years of smoking, I really don't care. either Big tobacco is gonna get me, old age will or I could get hit by some young person.
maybe not what you wanted to hear but to me, I plan to enjoy the few years I have left. it's the younger folks that will have to deal with the new problems...

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I love onestopdiyshop.com. They sell their own flavorings without this stuff and also note which flavorings contain these "custard notes". I switched to their cinnamon roll from my cinnamon sugar cookie. I miss the sugar cookie, but this is the next best thing! I may even experiment with yellow cake. Also, they just came out with a safe strawberry milk. Feel free to call Kimberly if you have any questions at all, she rocks! The tpa/tfa flavorings have all been tested, too. Plenty of flavors to choose from without adding diacetyl! The sad news is with the Dr Farsalinos study, 69% of the various juices they tested contained diacetyl, even from vendors who claim they are diacetyl free!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Regarding the title - plain vanilla isn't a problem. TFA's Vanilla Swirl and French Vanilla are free of the 'custard note' ingredients. So are Vanilla Bourbon, Vanilla Tahiti, and Vanilla Classic by FlavourArt.

FlavourArt's Fresh Cream, Catalan Cream, and Vienna Cream are on the okay list. They also have a Custard flavor for vaping - it is not a vanilla custard in the Capella's style.

I have never seen a butter flavor that claims to free; that seems to be the least-likely to ever be formulated without diacetyl or substitutes. I know that FlavourArt's Butter flavor contains 1.5% diacetyl. They have a warning against inhalation on that one. Interestingly you can find many other flavors by other manufacturers with higher percentages of these chemicals that have no warning.

notagoodnameleft

Member For 4 Years
I've chased the TFA's Vanilla Swirl and French Vanilla (haven't had time to "test" - YET)...

Tick22 - Fully understand - and think we (US) create more problems than we solve - so in your case I wish a happy 18th birthday to your future pulmonologist, the one you will argue with over this in 20 years... My grandfather utilized the "I've only got a few years left, so no snot-nosed opinion is going to make a difference" for 34 years - outlived his cardiologist! Attitude does count...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Lately I've been using a lot of FlavourArt Vanilla Classic. I've been super impressed with how creamy and vanilla-y it is! I usually use it at 2%. I'd love to find a "bad 3-free" buttery flavor.

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was on my second 8ml vial of TFA's Vanilla Bean Ice Cream when I read the news about that and other flavors. I have switched to Vanilla Swirl, but I still have about 3ml of VBIC left that I use in tiny amounts. I have only pitched one flavor. A half full (about 4ml) of LorAnn's Watermelon. The food colouring drove me nuts and the flavor wasn't that good anyways.

I also use FW Sweet Cream which I love mixing with, but it doesn't always work like Vanilla Bean Ice Cream did even with Vanilla Swirl. I may be saved with Catalan Cream, Vienna Cream and a safe custard.
Oh no! I may be sneaking into the unknown area for me of the Bakery group.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Lately I've been using a lot of FlavourArt Vanilla Classic. I've been super impressed with how creamy and vanilla-y it is! I usually use it at 2%. I'd love to find a "bad 3-free" buttery flavor.

Huck, are you mixing that with VapersTek nic? I didn't like FA (or any other) vanillas plain until I made some with VT. Now it tastes so creamy and sweet, I can vape any of them with no other flavorings at all. I think my favorite is still Vanilla Bourbon.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No, I haven't gotten theirs yet. Still on WL nic. Of all my really creamy vapes, Vanilla Classic is the only constant flavor. I don't use it standalone. Tried that already, didn't have much flavor. When my nic gets more depleted, I'll definitely try out VT.

Cappellas vanilla custard v2 is supposed to be free of those. You have to order it directly from them since most of the rebottlers have v1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

VU Sponsors