Become a Patron!

Cutting the cable / ditching the dish discussion thread

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all,
I am giving some serious thought to cancelling my dish network subscription and going with one of those TV streaming devices. So I was at wally world the other day, was thinking about picking up one of those Google Chromecast boxes. But I got there, saw a plethora of other devices to choose from. Roku, blu ray players that also have streaming services, etc. I got overwhelmed and confused and left empty handed.
So any advice and device recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that im a bit behind the curve technologically. Pros/cons of one TV streaming device over another? Why do they have 4 different Roku boxes and what makes the 4 better than the 3,2,1 etc.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hello all,
I am giving some serious thought to cancelling my dish network subscription and going with one of those TV streaming devices. So I was at wally world the other day, was thinking about picking up one of those Google Chromecast boxes. But I got there, saw a plethora of other devices to choose from. Roku, blu ray players that also have streaming services, etc. I got overwhelmed and confused and left empty handed.
So any advice and device recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that im a bit behind the curve technologically. Pros/cons of one TV streaming device over another? Why do they have 4 different Roku boxes and what makes the 4 better than the 3,2,1 etc.
Chromecast is great for things you can't stream, but BluRay is pretty sweet, too. The one I have used to stream YouTube, but doesn't now, so I can use Chromecast for that. Hell, if I wanted to, I could toss Mod Envy onto my TV, which I've considered many times, LOL.

Don't know anything about Roku, but a friend of mine really enjoys hers. Maybe check out reviews on CNET. I love that site.

ckone180

Member For 4 Years
You can look for the Amazon Fire TV or Roku for good streaming options. Also, there are some unbranded TV boxes on eBay that are capable of the same things, sometimes even better stats.

I subscribe to SlingTV and use standard antenna for local stations.

HBO and Sho now offer standalone streaming options as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
One aspect that I had overlooked, instead of the cable/sat TV provider your money will go to your internet provider. I live in a rural area and internet service is expensive. When you add that to the price of various streaming services subscriptions the cost is a wash. And right now, cable/sat TV is a lot more stable and faster. I made the switch for awhile and ended up going back to the available satellite TV here. If I was in an area with reasonably priced unlimited internet service it would be different.

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Chromecast is great for things you can't stream, but BluRay is pretty sweet, too. The one I have used to stream YouTube, but doesn't now, so I can use Chromecast for that. Hell, if I wanted to, I could toss Mod Envy onto my TV, which I've considered many times, LOL.

Don't know anything about Roku, but a friend of mine really enjoys hers. Maybe check out reviews on CNET. I love that site.
I'm confused about the Chromecast... What do you mean by "things that you cannot stream"? I thought that was all the device did...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We love our Roku and subscribe to Sling TV, Netflix, and Hulu. Even subscribing to all three, plus the monthly internet bill, we're saving right at $100 per month compared to Internet and cable. I can highly recommend.

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can look for the Amazon Fire TV or Roku for good streaming options. Also, there are some unbranded TV boxes on eBay that are capable of the same things, sometimes even better stats.
I subscribe to SlingTV and use standard antenna for local stations.

HBO and Sho now offer standalone streaming options as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never heard of sling TV, can you please describe a little more? As per my original post, sometimes I live under a rock... Lol

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One aspect that I had overlooked, instead of the cable/sat TV provider your money will go to your internet provider. I live in a rural area and internet service is expensive. When you add that to the price of various streaming services subscriptions the cost is a wash. And right now, cable/sat TV is a lot more stable and faster. I made the switch for awhile and ended up going back to the available satellite TV here. If I was in an area with reasonably priced unlimited internet service it would be different.
Internet service for me is no problem. I have unlimited, and it's basically a must have as my daughter is cyber schooled. And I agree with you as a cable or satellite service provider is far more convenient, dish network has been pissing me off lately playing some "smoke and mirrors" type games with my billing. Long rant for another day, but long story short it costs me over 150 a month to watch TV..

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We love our Roku and subscribe to Sling TV, Netflix, and Hulu. Even subscribing to all three, plus the monthly internet bill, we're saving right at $100 per month compared to Internet and cable. I can highly recommend.
Which roku do you have?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Roku 3. We got it last year on a deal where we got it half price if we pre-paid for three months of Sling TV.

coolerat

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
We cut the cable a year ago.

Never have missed it for a second.

We have innerwebz cause we like it plus my wife needs it for her business.

We have Netflix (8 bucks) and a Amazon Prime (10 bucks) and they have all me need. Prime is fantastic.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I recommend a smart Blu-ray player. I have a Sony, and it was only around $50. You can stream Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and lots of other services such as VUDU, Amazon, etc that you can rent or buy programming, movies, etc. BTW, if you plan on streaming HDTV you'll need a fast internet connection, and a good router (wireless is best) if you don't already have a wireless gateway with your internet service.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
With unlimited internet we told DTV to disconnect it and havent missed it at all....My garage is messier because I'm in it more and the house is starting to look good.

http://www.rainiertamayo.com/movie for the occasional movie night...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We still have DTV for now but have cut all the premium channels, and might cut back a tier of service before long. I can't afford to drop it completely for another year when our contract ends.

ckone180

Member For 4 Years
I've never heard of sling TV, can you please describe a little more? As per my original post, sometimes I live under a rock... Lol
Sure, it's a streaming service that provides a bunch of the top cable channels, like ESPN, AMC, TBS, etc. It's the channels we watched when we had cable without all the filler channels that we didn't have any interest.

The quality is good. Have had a couple times where AMC needed to be reloaded during The Walking Dead. Assume it was because most subscribers were watching it live. Takes 10 seconds to reload. Did that during a commercial.

We have had this service for about 3 months. Have not intention of changing.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm confused about the Chromecast... What do you mean by "things that you cannot stream"? I thought that was all the device did...

What I have is like a flash drive, plugs into a USB on the TV. I could put this thread up on the TV right now. You install the app from your Chrome browser, then you get a little icon to click on and it tosses your screen to your TV. I can also use it from my phone, as was mentioned above, with anything that accepts Chromecast.

upload_2016-4-16_20-47-36.png

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have uverse... only for the local channels, interweb and cellphone. everything else is do through amazon tv.

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We still have DTV for now but have cut all the premium channels, and might cut back a tier of service before long. I can't afford to drop it completely for another year when our contract ends.
Yep I know all about the contract BS... My 2 years is up, so you would think that Dish network would be treating me a little better... Also in general one would think that the cable/dish companies would be either upping their game as far as service/features offered or lowering their prices. It seems that they are losing customers. And for example, I have about 150 channels but watch maybe 10 or 15. The rest of them are simply garbage. About 20 qvc style channels selling stuff, another 15 are in languages other than English, 25 more are televangelism, and another 15 are sports related. (OK but I really couldn't care less about some football game that was played in 1982)... What am I paying all of that money for)

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use an MXIII android box and stream whatever I wanna watch. I rarely watch live TV anymore and just stream the episodes using Kodi and dont have to deal with commercials anymore. Can also use it to watch live tv if needed

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I killed Dish two years ago.

We use an amplified HD antenna for local channels, and ROKU (the stick) for streaming Netflix and HULU. We were paying 150 a month for DishTV. Now we pay 18 bucks a month.

I DID have to upgrade my router to a faster one, but that was peanuts. Less than the cost of a month of Dish.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got rid of cable when they jacked the price 4 times in 2 years for basic plus internet. Had Dish for a while, then the same thing happened. So I cancelled that, now I have HS internet via the local city, 50 up, 30 down and it costs $50 per month. Add netflix and a couple other services and we are still $100 below even the most basic cable and dish service I could get.

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What I have is like a flash drive, plugs into a USB on the TV. I could put this thread up on the TV right now. You install the app from your Chrome browser, then you get a little icon to click on and it tosses your screen to your TV. I can also use it from my phone, as was mentioned above, with anything that accepts Chromecast.

View attachment 47778
So basically with the Chromecast, it basically copies your phone screen onto the TV. I'm assuming that you would control everything with your phone then. For example, if I wanted to watch a movie, I would follow the same procedure as watching a movie on my phone. Then I would touch the little on-screen icon you pointed out above, and it would copy my phone screen onto my TV. And the sound as well. So I'm assuming that the small device plugged into the TV and my phone would communicate via Bluetooth?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So basically with the Chromecast, it basically copies your phone screen onto the TV. I'm assuming that you would control everything with your phone then. For example, if I wanted to watch a movie, I would follow the same procedure as watching a movie on my phone. Then I would touch the little on-screen icon you pointed out above, and it would copy my phone screen onto my TV. And the sound as well. So I'm assuming that the small device plugged into the TV and my phone would communicate via Bluetooth?
I don't have Bluetooth turned on on my phone. Netflix is compatible with Chromecast. I just noticed the icon was available where I saw play/pause, etc...

Seina_Yamada

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would love to go to a streaming service, but the best internet I can get here is 2.5mb and I use the hell out of my bandwidth. The most F**ed up thing is 1 mile down the road they are getting a 200mbps service, but they will not extend the service to my location.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure, it's a streaming service that provides a bunch of the top cable channels, like ESPN, AMC, TBS, etc. It's the channels we watched when we had cable without all the filler channels that we didn't have any interest.

The quality is good. Have had a couple times where AMC needed to be reloaded during The Walking Dead. Assume it was because most subscribers were watching it live. Takes 10 seconds to reload. Did that during a commercial.

We have had this service for about 3 months. Have not intention of changing.
wow,, thanks i didn't know about sling tv,, and walking dead is really the only reason i have cable,, my husband just rattled off the channels he wanted........and sling had them!

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep I know all about the contract BS... My 2 years is up, so you would think that Dish network would be treating me a little better... Also in general one would think that the cable/dish companies would be either upping their game as far as service/features offered or lowering their prices. It seems that they are losing customers. And for example, I have about 150 channels but watch maybe 10 or 15. The rest of them are simply garbage. About 20 qvc style channels selling stuff, another 15 are in languages other than English, 25 more are televangelism, and another 15 are sports related. (OK but I really couldn't care less about some football game that was played in 1982)... What am I paying all of that money for)
I know what you mean. I had completed my contract with them but when we realized that Uverse wasn't gonna make it out here for a good while, we upgraded to the DTV HD service so the contract renewed. At that time, we only had standard DSL internet so HDTV streaming was iffy at best. Now we have Uverse internet at 18mb/sec, but still no Uverse TV. We have enough bandwidth to stream HDTV now so we may very well drop DTV in another year. At least AT&T cut us a discount after they acquired DTV, so that helps. I did tell them the other day they would get a lot more customers if the offered an a la carte service since like you, we only watch 20-30 channel regularly out of the 250 we have. I mean, the boxes are programmable, I don't see any reason they couldn't do it.

cxdom

Member For 4 Years
The best set up is a laptop hooked up to your TV. Everything is available for free with enough digging. Even live sports with hd quality streams. I watched the Pacquiao fight live in perfect quality past weekend

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The best set up is a laptop hooked up to your TV. Everything is available for free with enough digging. Even live sports with hd quality streams. I watched the Pacquiao fight live in perfect quality past weekend
Yeah, I have a PC hooked up to my TV that we use for that, and a DLNA server.

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some of you are mentioning Uverse. Are they your local cable company? Just curious. I'm in the Pittsburgh area, we have Comcast around here. Pretty much a monopoly. They are the only option for cable, then you have the big 2 satellite companies. One would think with all of these streaming services popping up, these companies would be doing more to keep their customers...

Catalyst

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know what you mean. I had completed my contract with them but when we realized that Uverse wasn't gonna make it out here for a good while, we upgraded to the DTV HD service so the contract renewed. At that time, we only had standard DSL internet so HDTV streaming was iffy at best. Now we have Uverse internet at 18mb/sec, but still no Uverse TV. We have enough bandwidth to stream HDTV now so we may very well drop DTV in another year. At least AT&T cut us a discount after they acquired DTV, so that helps. I did tell them the other day they would get a lot more customers if the offered an a la carte service since like you, we only watch 20-30 channel regularly out of the 250 we have. I mean, the boxes are programmable, I don't see any reason they couldn't do it.
So I have DSL, but at 20mbps. Best the local phone CO offers. I cant get Verizon FiOS because this little rinky dink phone company exists. Hope that will be good enough for Roku...

Last edited:

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have gotten rid of cable, I primarily use an Amazon Fire Stick.
If you are planning on using a streaming USB stick like the Fire Stick or Roku or any such thing, I highly recommend you to check out youtube and search the following keywords pertaining to your device. In my instance, I used the keywords: installing Kodi on Amazon Fire Stick

You can also google the same keywords and will come up with a wealth of information.

If you prefer, you can PM me and we can discuss you purchasing an Amazon Fire Stick and I can get Kodi installed for you and get the stick shipped back to you.

I will not go into detail regarding Kodi but I will tell you that, I have saved alot of money.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Some of you are mentioning Uverse. Are they your local cable company? Just curious. I'm in the Pittsburgh area, we have Comcast around here. Pretty much a monopoly. They are the only option for cable, then you have the big 2 satellite companies. One would think with all of these streaming services popping up, these companies would be doing more to keep their customers...
You sound like where I am. We had a really good company here, as far as customer service goes, then At&T popped up with their Uverse services. I heard too many horror stories, and I see their service trucks in the same driveways ALL the time. So, no.

Time Warner bought out the only really good company we had. Time Warner can kiss my ass. Nothing but issues. Asked them if during all the upgrades it did, was it possible that all the issues I was having required a new type of box? No, they said. Technicians in and out all the time, very few issues being taken care of, always receiving credits because there were so many problems. When you call them, you don't get a local customer service. FINALLY, a tech comes in after over a year of issues, looks at the box and wonders, out loud, why no one ever changed my boxes out. Really very few problems since then.

Google Fiber is coming to town. I signed up for alerts. I hope they don't suck.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You sound like where I am. We had a really good company here, as far as customer service goes, then At&T popped up with their Uverse services. I heard too many horror stories, and I see their service trucks in the same driveways ALL the time. So, no.

Time Warner bought out the only really good company we had. Time Warner can kiss my ass. Nothing but issues. Asked them if during all the upgrades it did, was it possible that all the issues I was having required a new type of box? No, they said. Technicians in and out all the time, very few issues being taken care of, always receiving credits because there were so many problems. When you call them, you don't get a local customer service. FINALLY, a tech comes in after over a year of issues, looks at the box and wonders, out loud, why no one ever changed my boxes out. Really very few problems since then.

Google Fiber is coming to town. I signed up for alerts. I hope they don't suck.

Google Fiber is coming to Atlanta as well, but we'll never see it out here in the boonies where we live (about 40 miles West of ATL).:xD:

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kodi, Kodi, Kodi...as a few have mentioned. It's FREE...More TV than you could ever imagine. It has a learning curve but you can download the app at google play for free. The app makes install a snap... Initial cost can be as cheap as $100 or less. Get add-on's at https://www.tvaddons.ag/ ...Learn about Kodi at https://kodi.tv/
I highly suggest this route for any serious cable cutter.

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Kodi is good plex is good and large hard drives :D FTW

VU Sponsors