Become a Patron!

Damn Vape Mongrel RDA

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

This is my first RDA review in about a year, so I’m excited for this one.

Anyway, without further BS...the Mongrel RDA. It’s a single-coil, bottom airflow RDA, with multiple airflow inserts and comes with both a stainless steel and a glass top-cap.

DSC_0001.jpg

First impressions

I will get my personal opinions out of the way with first: This is petty and opinionated, but I don’t like the ‘80s graffiti style font on the deck and neither do I like the tough looking dog logo on the top-cap.

Now that I have said that, the glass cap is gorgeous. It’s something that I’d expect to be paying $25+ for from third party company, not something I’d get free with a $30 RDA.
DSC_0087.jpgThe juice well is deep, and everything looks well designed from the ledges to catch the leads, to the dual-posts so it doesn’t matter which way the coil is wrapped.

Mine came with the squonk pin already installed, which I don’t really like – I feel that unless an RDA comes as part of a squonk kit, it should always have the regular 510 installed.

One pain in the ass was that the accessory pouch was already open, it looked as if there had been a fault when sealing it, so when I took it out of the box, I ended up with screws/etc on the floor.

One the subject of accessories, it comes with two top-caps, cotton, tools, spares and 1 x 0.22ohm fused clapton coil.

Building

DSC_0027.jpg

It’s a single-coil RDA, so it’s easy. It’s made a little easier by the channels on the deck to rest your coiling rod in for perfect coil height.

However, before putting a coil in, you need to work out which airflow adapter (if any) you’re going to use. They are held in place with an O-ring, I lubed mine up a little with juice just to make them easier to deal with. Once is place, they fit snugly and easily removed when required.
DSC_0030.jpg
Wicking is simple, but due to the 9.5mm juice well, you’re going to have to cut your cotton longer than usual, apart from that – fluff, tuck and done.

DSC_0036.jpg

To drip, or to squonk?

This is not the sort of RDA that you want to pour juice straight down the drip-tip – the coil is right in the center and directly underneath it is a huge hole for airflow. It’s probably not going to leak unless you really overdo it, but I will flood your airflow.

Dripping with either of the top-caps off is the way to go, if you want to drip. The O-rings on the deck have great tolerances, so removing either cap is easy, just drip onto the cotton and it’s fine as a dripper.

Squonking is the way to go on this RDA, the combination of very deep juice wells and well designed airflow makes the chance of it leaking minimal. Do it with the glass cap and you can keep an eye on the juice level quite well.

How does it vape?

To put it simply – big flavor and big clouds (for single-coil). This is not a subtle restricted airflow single-coil RDA, I enjoyed it at 55-60w with the airflow wide open, because I’m a weakling who isn’t used to high power vaping, but I took it up to 75w and the flavor/vape production just increased.

The Mongrel has excellent flavor, simple as that. - the C4 and GR1 used to be my go to for RDAs, this is so much better.

Sure, you can close the airflow down, reduce the power and enjoy a less cloudy vape experience, but why bother? There are plenty of dainty 22m RDAs out there for restricted DTL, the Mongrel performs best when wide open and with more power.

The one disappointment was that even though I definitely preferred it with an airflow adapter inserted into the deck, I didn’t really care which one, and didn’t notice any difference between them. While the Mongrel isn’t going to suit a little 1.0mm hole, it might have done well with one of the airflow adapters offering something a little different.

Pros

• Easy build and wicking​
  • Good vapor production for a single-coil RDA​
  • Lots of excellent flavor​
  • Deep juice well​
  • Comes with stainless-steel and (gorgeous) glass cap​
  • Doesn’t get hot at higher power levels​

Cons

• I don’t like the logo or font.​
  • Both airflow adapters offer near identical airflow​
  • Not suited to dripping down the drip-tip.​
  • It might overhang on some mods, or simply not fit if you have a recessed 510.​

Conclusion

If you want a single-coil RDA that gives a nice cloudy vape, with great flavor – there’s not much to dislike about this one.

Disclaimer

The Mongrel RDA was sent to me by Sourcemore who have provided me with the discount code MGR which will allow you to purchase the Mongrel RDA for $17.69

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Great review! Thanks! I have one on the way, my friend @SnapDragon NY found it at Sourcemore & we are looking forward to receiving them soon!
I know- I can hardly wait for this to get here- looking forward in trying the Mongrel RDA!
Sourcemore had the best price I could find on the Mongrel.

:inlove:

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Great review! Thanks! I have one on the way, my friend @SnapDragon NY found it at Sourcemore & we are looking forward to receiving them soon!
Thanks, I'm pretty sure most people will enjoy the Mongrel - to be honest, I've been vaping mainly restricted DTL and MTL RTAs over the last year with no interest in RDAs, especially airy RDAs - the Mongrel has made my RDA interest return and I'm shopping for more now.

VU Sponsors