Become a Patron!

David Cronenberg On Netflix Passing On Crimes of the Future: 'I Thought They Would Be Different'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
David Cronenberg, the horror director known for chilling films like Scanners and Videodrome, thinks streaming services like Netflix are too conservative for his works.

Speaking to Variety, Cronenberg said that his team did discuss his upcoming film — Crimes of the Future — with Netflix, but the streaming giant was ultimately not interested in the movie. The director said despite his interest to work with a streaming platform, Netflix isn't willing to pursue something that far out there.

"I think that [Netflix is] still very conservative," Cronenberg said. "I mean, I think they’re still like a Hollywood studio. I thought maybe they would be different. The difference is that Netflix can show very interesting streaming series from Korea, from Finland, and they say it’s a Netflix original, but it isn’t really — it’s something they have acquired. But I think when it comes to their actual production that they do themselves, they’re very conservative. I think they think in mainstream terms, that’s my experience with them anyway."

Based on Cronenberg's past works and what we've seen so far of Crimes of the Future, it's safe to say the film is definitely way out there. Crimes of the Future is about a human society where transformation and mutation surgeries are the norm. It tells the story of a performance artist who shows off the metamorphosis of his own organs.

The movie stars Viggo Mortensen, Léa Seydoux, and Kristen Stewart.

Cronenberg is definitely aware that his art is not for everyone. The director previously said he's "sure that we will have walkouts within the first five minutes of the movie."

Crimes of the Future is set to hit theaters next month. As for what's next for Cronenberg after Crimes of the Future, we already know a decent amount about The Shrouds, his next movie set to start filming in 2023.

Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors