Become a Patron!

Digiflavor Siren V4 review - small, flawed but still awesome

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Introduction

All of a sudden Digiflavor have gone from a long period of inactivity, to releasing a SBS kit, two new(ish) Drop RDAs, a stock-coil MTL kit, a dual-coil RTA (that lights up) and the subject of my review – the Siren MTL RTA V4.

DSC_0032.jpg

More images are here

What is it?

It’s a short and compact 22mm RTA, with a GTA style deck, under-coil airflow and a little window to see the juice level.

What do you get?

Apart from the usual, spares and screwdriver – you get two drip-tips and a very nice selection of coils/cotton:

• 1×2.0mm NI80 1.2ohm clapton
  • 1×2.0mm NI80 1.4ohm MTL fused clapton
  • 1×2.5mm kanthal 0.65ohm braided coil
  • 1×2.5mm SS316 1.0ohm MTL fused clapton
  • 2×2.0mm agleted cotton, 2×2.5mm agleted cotton.
First impressions

It’s a strange looking RTA, not ugly at all, but a little weird, tiny and futuristic – it looks great when paired with a tiny mod.

There are some nice aesthetic details, the knurling on the top-cap, the hidden airflow, and the tiny juice window.

It’s also nicely made, everything comes apart (apart from the little window) and goes back together very easily, but then again most atomizers are well made nowadays.

DSC_0054.jpg

Deck and build

The deck looks very familiar and easy to build on...but it annoyed me. The post holes are large enough that half the time the screws don’t capture the coil, it’s only a minor annoyance but just 1mm smaller on the post holes and it would have been so much easier – this I don’t understand, it’s MTL – no one is planning to use huge coils, so why the oversized post-holes?

Fortunately, wicking is a million times easier – just cut to the edge of the deck, fluff, trim and comb the wicks and feed them gently into the well – you don’t need to stuff the wicks in, I got my best results when I just sat them in there.

DSC_0007.jpg

Airflow

First the good stuff – the under-coil airflow comes from a small honeycomb disk with seven holes and it’s really really smooth. I’m struggling to think how MTL airflow could feel any better.

The airflow is all MTL, there’s a good range of adjustment from very tight MTL to slightly loose MTL, but this is not the type of MTL RTA that you can get a restricted DL draw from.

Now to the slightly negative, the airflow holes are hidden – this is not a bad thing, the negative part of this is that the airflow control ring is on the base of the RTA and can’t be adjusted while the RTA is on a mod – what makes it slightly better is that the airflow control ring has a small red dot, that you align with a series of white dots, this not only looks cool but it also makes accurate adjustments easy.

DSC_0045.jpg

How does it vape?

Initially, I ignored all of the provided coils and put a 0.8ohm 26g round wire build in it – this type of build lets me understand how well the actual RTA performs, rather than how nice the fancy coils are performing.

With the round wire build at 10-15w, it is delicious – very nice flavor, and a nicely judged throat hit – combine this with silky smooth draw and it’s a top quality MTL vape.

I usually live for MTL claptons, so many MTL RTAs don’t really reach their full potential until you put a fancy coil in them, however they seem wasted on this RTA – it performs so well with a basic round wire build that I don’t see the need for anything else – but that’s not to say it doesn’t do well with MTL claptons, with my own build using a 2.5mm 0.75ohm superfine MTL fused clapton, it was really equally good.

The only issue I had while vaping, was while using the shorter of the two drip-tips, I was getting a little juice in my mouth – I’m sure I can blame myself for this, crappy build, poor wicking, low wattage, etc, but then again it might be because it’s such a short RTA – however it was easily solved by sticking to the longer drip-tip.

DSC_0047.jpg
Refilling

This is where I had another issue – there is a small window (ultem on mine) so you can see the juice level while refilling – except you can’t see a thing, the design looks cool but isn’t very useful. You end up refilling slowly until you notice that you’re just about to overflow and then having to stop – not a deal breaker and it might be better with the clear window version.

Conclusion

So...it’s hard to catch the coil leads, the airflow isn’t adjustable while on the mod, I got juice in my mouth and you might overflow while refilling – but, I still prefer it to most of my MTL RTAs that have none of these issues, because these issues are all either minor or fixable, and the quality of the vape is that special.

Most importantly, would I buy the Siren V4 with my own money? Yeah, with no hesitation – I haven’t put it down since I started using it and that tells me something.

Disclaimer

The Siren V4 was provided for the purposes of this review by Sourcemore who have provided the discount code SIRV4 which reduces the price from $28.98 to $18.18.

VU Sponsors