Disney and Peter Dinklage Are Battling Over the Live-Action Snow White

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Disney’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is getting a live-action remake, but Peter Dinklage isn’t happy about it. During an interview on Marc Maron’s WTF Podcast, the 52-year-old Game of Thrones star explained why he thinks the upcoming remake is such a bad idea.

“I was a little taken aback when they were very proud to cast a Latina actress as Snow White,” he said. “You're still telling the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Take a step back and look at what you're doing there. It makes no sense to me.”

Actress Rachel Zegler was recently cast as Snow White in the upcoming remake, but little else is known about the project.

“You're progressive in one way and you're still making that f*cking backwards story about seven dwarfs living in a cave together,” he added. “What the f*ck are you doing man? Have I done nothing to advance the cause from my soapbox? I guess I'm not loud enough.”

The original Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released in 1937 and was Disney’s first full-length animated feature. And while Dinklage believes it’s problematic, he does suggest that an update could make it work.

“If you tell the story of Snow White with the most f*cked up, progressive spin on it? Let's do it,” he said. “All in.”

Of course, Disney hasn’t taken his comments lying down and has since responded with its own statement about the upcoming live-action remake.

"To avoid reinforcing stereotypes from the original animated film, we are taking a different approach with these seven characters and have been consulting with members of the dwarfism community,” a Disney spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter. "We look forward to sharing more as the film heads into production after a lengthy development period."

According to THR, the studio has been working to reimagine the Seven Dwarfs since the film’s earliest stages. And while Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs has been in development for three years, it’s still a long way from general release.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be directed by The Amazing Spider-Man director, Marc Webb and produced by Marc Platt.

Rachel Ziegler will lead the film as Snow White, alongside Andrew Burnap, and Gal Gadot as the Evil Queen.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors