Disney Is Rebooting Zorro As a Telenovela-style TV Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Zorro is returning to our screens as Disney reboots the world’s greatest swordsman with a brand-new TV show.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Wilmer Valderrama will star as the iconic folk hero Zorro in the upcoming series.

“We’re reimagining this Disney classic as a compelling period piece, set in Pueblo de Los Angeles, but told in a very modern telenovela style — with richly drawn contemporary characters and relationships set against the action, drama, suspense and humor of the original, iconic Zorro,” said Disney Branded Television president Ayo Davis.

Valderrama will become the next Don Diego de la Vega – otherwise known as the swashbuckling, masked vigilante, Zorro. And it sounds as though he has a rather personal connection to the role.

“Growing up, Zorro was the one character that made me, as a Latino, feel like I could be a hero,” he said. “As an adult and a storyteller, I have a responsibility in the stories that I help bring to life. To partner with Gary and Disney to bring Zorro back into the family after 60 years, and be a part of the legacy for other children to know they too can be the heroes of their own stories, is a dream come true.”

Gary Marsh is on board as executive producer along with John Gertzof Zorro Productions, which owns the rights to the legendary swordsman.

“Wilmer shares our commitment to reflect the interesting and rich diversity of the human experience,” said Davis. “We look forward to delivering a culturally relevant and entertaining story with definitional characters that will connect with our viewers for generations to come.”

Valderrama recently voiced Agustin in Disney’s Encanto as well as minor character Gaxton in the magical animated comedy, Onward. He has also appeared on NCIS and Grey’s Anatomy.

Zorro has already appeared on the big screen numerous times – most recently with The Mask of Zorro (1998) and The Legend of Zorro (2005), both starring Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

There’s also a separate reimaging currently in the works, with Alex Rivera planning a modern-day retelling of the pulp legend, turning Zorro into a hacker.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors