Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

Just add a chip and your on your way!

This comes with everything you need to make your own home made DNA30 box mod. If you already have an Evolv DNA30/20 board you can make yourself a legit for a fraction of the cost. If you don't have an Evolv board and want to opt for the CHDNA board you can buy that from the link provided below.

Lots of possibilities! You wrap them, logo them, do what you want!

Lots of different colors to choose from.

WHERE: >> HERE <<

CHDNA 30 BOARD: >> HERE <<

lcuLlyuZ0eA

Synsi1916

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This looks like a fun project, who all is going to build one or has interest?

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to build one of these as a backup. What else besides a 510 connection is needed? And anyone have an idea on wait times? Didn't have luck the last time I ordered from FT back when everything was being sent back to them.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Anybody knows if the SX350 chip fits in here?

I dont think so. Its meant for an evolv style board or the ChDNA board they sell.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
The 510 is included you mite want to use a better one like a Fat Daddy
all you need is a DNA and a Charging board
I ordered one friday and FT site says ship date 7 22

I want to build one of these as a backup. What else besides a 510 connection is needed? And anyone have an idea on wait times? Didn't have luck the last time I ordered from FT back when everything was being sent back to them.

VarosVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ordered my yesterday and they said it will ship on the 28th. Going to use an Evolv DNA board, Fat Daddy 510 and different buttons.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
Nice Video I enjoy all your videos :) My enclosure ( Blue) is in Canada all ready I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday
My plan is all most the same as yours. I am going to use the tactile switches cause I Like them and a Fat Daddy 510
I have a DNA holder from Shapeways if it fits I will use it too :)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

VarosVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Nice Video I enjoy all your videos :) My enclosure ( Blue) is in Canada all ready I should have it by Tuesday or Wednesday
My plan is all most the same as yours. I am going to use the tactile switches cause I Like them and a Fat Daddy 510
I have a DNA holder from Shapeways if it fits I will use it too :)

Thanks! The Varitube 510 is OK but my threads are cut for the FDV which i am waiting for. All new switches coming, getting impatient :) What do you think of the Shapeways holder? Did you get the screen holder too? Looks like we have the same ideas on how to build this.

VarosVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks Steamer, i agree. Don't really want to cut the opening either, but it would be unique looking and no gluing needed to secure the board.

keithvi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My Fasttech enclosure should arrive within a couple more weeks. My Evolv DNA30d boards shipped today. I have a couple of questions I hoped a builder would answer.

Q): Is hot glue recommended to mount the screen?

Q): Do you recommend using the lens cover that comes with the Fasttech enclosure?

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
I really don't like hot glue epoxy is better. I got my enclosure today :) The enclosure will have to be drilled and tapped to accommodate the FD 510,
The aluminium is so thick around the 510 hole, the FD 510 isn't long enough to make it thru ( no big deal)
Here's a better alternative to glue or epoxy
http://www.shapeways.com/model/9903...without-stop.html?modelId=990301&materialId=6
With one of these
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1767249/mamu-chip-cradle.html?modelId=1767249&materialId=6
and finally
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1775841/dna-charger-plate.html?modelId=1775841&materialId=6
This will eliminate all glue/ epoxy on the chip
You will have to grind out the openings in the enclosure to accommodate the bezels but I think it will be a nice look :)

My Fasttech enclosure should arrive within a couple more weeks. My Evolv DNA30d boards shipped today. I have a couple of questions I hoped a builder would answer.

Q): Do you recommend using the lens cover that comes with the Fasttech enclosure?

keithvi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you Steamer861,

I know about the shapeways DNA mounting parts but I prefer the smooth (non bezel) exterior. You did answer my question by explaining that Hot Glue or Epoxy were not as good as using the shapeways mounts.

Please answer this for me. Because I plan to use the the glue method, do you recommend I use the clear lens cover provided with the FastTech enclosure?

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This is going to sound weird but with mine I use really cheap epoxy. Find like the cheapest walmart or wherever you shop sells. The reason for this is I have found its sorta like hot glue but a bit better. You do not want something that is gonna glue in forever-ever just incase you need to service the box or replace a bad chip. This cheapo loctite stuff I buy for stuff like switches and screens does not dry totally hard and has some flex and its usually pretty easy to get in a box and pop stuff out but sticks enough to keep things in for use.

For everything else that I need a perm bond I use Brownells Acraglas which has a 50 year mixed lifespan. I used to make knives and its good shit.

keithvi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Superjeep,

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I needed and I am grateful for the help. I respect that there are better ways to do this but I am easy to please and did not want to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks guys,
Keith
Baton Rouge

P.S. I am digging this VU forum!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cheers for this. I have three of the mini versions coming.

I'd just wanted to know. Why do these mods do 'grounding' rather than just soldering the negative directly to the 510 connection?

keithvi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cheers for this. I have three of the mini versions coming.

I'd just wanted to know. Why do these mods do 'grounding' rather than just soldering the negative directly to the 510 connection?

My understanding is that you have the option of soldering to the connector (FDV 510 has solder lug) or grounding to the alumn with a screw. Because FT/Clouper mod is alumn you can choose the easy route and ground with a screw. If your box mod was not a conductor (plastic . . ) you would have no choice but to solder to the 510.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My understanding is that you have the option of soldering to the connector (FDV 510 has solder lug) or grounding to the alumn with a screw. Because FT/Clouper mod is alumn you can choose the easy route and ground with a screw. If your box mod was not a conductor (plastic . . ) you would have no choice but to solder to the 510.
Ah ok thanks. So when they say grounding they're basically just talking about the negative? It's just that I got an email from someone this morning saying that they're making some wooden box mods and were figuring out where to earth it. I wasn't quite sure how to reply.

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Grounding (neg)through a metal box or tube is just easier and less wire to mess with if you have a press fit 510 or a screw in like fatdaddy sells. You can do it either way. A wood box you would need to solder a neg and run the wire.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Grounding (neg)through a metal box or tube is just easier and less wire to mess with if you have a press fit 510 or a screw in like fatdaddy sells. You can do it either way. A wood box you would need to solder a neg and run the wire.
Thanks for that. I have those fatdaddy 510s. The op said he had to drill the hole larger. I was gonna thread it. The reasoning behind that is a bit better connection to the box but thinking about it there's not much point because they screw tight with that big flat bit underneath them

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
Sweet I watch your videos and think we have a lot in common I love the Kayfuns Taifuns I truly enjoy vaping and building my own coils & mods
I just wounded if you have or have tried a REO ? I have a LP Grand and a Mini 2.1 (18490) they are truly Awesome

Thanks! Look forward to seeing your project.

VarosVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Sweet I watch your videos and think we have a lot in common I love the Kayfuns Taifuns I truly enjoy vaping and building my own coils & mods
I just wounded if you have or have tried a REO ? I have a LP Grand and a Mini 2.1 (18490) they are truly Awesome

Thanks, glad you like the videos. The REO is interesting, never tried one. Bottom fed RDA mod?

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
Yes a Reo is a Bottom Feed Mechanical Box Mod topped with a Cyclone Rda it's Amazing
I would like to see you make a video on a Reo I'm sure you would love it :)
Well all I managed to get done this weekend was the 510 :)
2b43386a-0661-45af-9b4e-dc380c85758f.JPG Y
0c6ba579-4e34-4411-9bd5-d62159cac0e9.JPG

Last edited:

keithvi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Evolv DNA30d and a Fat Daddy Vapes 510 connector (without washer) installed in my new silver FastTech enclosure.

Not the easiest project but very rewarding when it works.

FastTech_EvolvDNA30d_II.jpg

keithvi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Drilling and tapping the enclosure for the 510 was difficult without a drill press. After hand drilling and tapping my 510 was a tiny bit unlevel. I had to use the tap forcing the hole straight a second time to correct the alignment and thankfully after tightening the connector it was all very straight,,,,, phew!

Last edited:

VarosVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Just Got mine done :)
I used the Shapeways Bezels the mamu chip holder and used hardly any epoxy,
only on the tactile switches and 2 drops on the charging board
View attachment 3903 View attachment 3904

Love the way it came out, nice work! I take it you have to open up the display and micro USB holes for the Shapeways bezels? What do you think of them? No glue required to mount the board and screen?

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
Love the way it came out, nice work! I take it you have to open up the display and micro USB holes for the Shapeways bezels? What do you think of them? No glue required to mount the board and screen?
Yes had to dremel both openings to fit the bezels I have used the bezels/chip holder before on other builds
I epoxy the bezels to the box and then they just fit together with the chip holder with out any epoxy on the screen or the chip
I did use a few drops to secure the charging board to the bezel
This is the sixth mod box I have built 4 dna's and 2 SX350's It get easier as you do more of them :)

VU Sponsors