Become a Patron!

DIY K.I.S.S method

Nevergoing back

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been DIYing since I started vaping, about 15 months ago. I started at 18mg/ml, then dropped to 14mg/ml and currently at 11 to 12mg/ml. I don't use the calculators that are available, what I do is make a large batch of 12.5 mg/ ml unflavoured liquid ( the math is easy ) then I add a measured amount of flavouring which could be between 1 and 15 % favouring depending upon the flavouring used. Since I can tell the difference between 11mg and 12.5 mg/ml when vaping I don't need the calculator.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
But these calculator apps will also save recipes. I have well over 100 flavors and there is no way I'm remembering the exact measurements on every recipe I try making. So I save them in the app for future reference. Plus the calculator lets me easily calculate changes when making juice for other people.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been DIYing since I started vaping, about 15 months ago. I started at 18mg/ml, then dropped to 14mg/ml and currently at 11 to 12mg/ml. I don't use the calculators that are available, what I do is make a large batch of 12.5 mg/ ml unflavoured liquid ( the math is easy ) then I add a measured amount of flavouring which could be between 1 and 15 % favouring depending upon the flavouring used. Since I can tell the difference between 11mg and 12.5 mg/ml when vaping I don't need the calculator.

Not trying to start a fight but I do have a question to your methodology. If you don't use a calculator are you hand writing the equation for each batch you mix? I don't see how you can just know the relative mg of the nicotine if you aren't using a calculator or hand doing the solution equations to figure out mean mg:ml ratio for strength of the nicotine in your blends. Once again I am just curious cause I wouldn't trust myself doing blind mixing.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Not trying to start a fight but I do have a question to your methodology. If you don't use a calculator are you hand writing the equation for each batch you mix? I don't see how you can just know the relative mg of the nicotine if you aren't using a calculator or hand doing the solution equations to figure out mean mg:ml ratio for strength of the nicotine in your blends. Once again I am just curious cause I wouldn't trust myself doing blind mixing.

Personally, I mix my nic base to 15mg/ml strength. Sometimes I vape it plain (no flavoring). Usually I add 5% or less total flavoring, so my ending nic is 14.25mg/ml, which is fine with me. I very rarely use up to 10% flavoring, which still leaves me at 13.5 mg/ml. That's still close enough to 15 that I really don't notice any difference. In my experience, vendor liquids are often off more than that.

I keep a spreadsheet that shows all my flavorings and standalone percents I prefer for each, plus notes I've made over time.
In another document I have hundreds of recipes I've made, some of them pretty complex.

But I never used any of those online calculators. I just never found the need.

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay I see your nic base is a starting point and the usage of flavoring also changes the end result of the final product. I see how that works now. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

VU Sponsors