Become a Patron!

do coils wear out ?

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
claptons or whatever.

you have been using the same set for a while, and they look perfectly fine.
will flavor be lost/lessoned even if they look fine ? do they wear out in any way ?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You mean like molecular level electron fatigue?

I personally have found that the roughest thing on coils is heating them for cleaning.
Esp SS 316 coils. Seems to make the surface kinda rough and porous, and they do not vape as well after a few cleanings.

Last edited:

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
claptons or whatever.

you have been using the same set for a while, and they look perfectly fine.
will flavor be lost/lessoned even if they look fine ? do they wear out in any way ?
If you're using them on a mech mod, I've definitely noticed the ramp up time goes up quite a bit if they get too old. Other than that, they seem to gunk up a little quicker. That's my experience.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back in the day, I kept using my build(s) in my Griffin for about 8 months. It was kanthal and it started looking brown so I changed them. Now I have rolls of wire galore and just change coils after two or three rewicks.

I don't know if it's in my head but SS wire seems to lose it's clean/clear flavor quicker than N80 or Kanthal. I mean fresh SS coils can be amazing. But after the first cleaning it doesn't seem the same. I always space stainless and don't glow it either. For cleaning I just heat it up on the verge of glowing but it doesnt. A lot of crud comes off with a little heat. I finish cleaning with a wire brush. Maybe it's just in my head though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back in the day, I kept using my build(s) in my Griffin for about 8 months. It was kanthal and it started looking brown so I changed them. Now I have rolls of wire galore and just change coils after two or three rewicks.

I don't know if it's in my head but SS wire seems to lose it's clean/clear flavor quicker than N80 or Kanthal. I mean fresh SS coils can be amazing. But after the first cleaning it doesn't seem the same. I always space stainless and don't glow it either. For cleaning I just heat it up on the verge of glowing but it doesnt. A lot of crud comes off with a little heat. I finish cleaning with a wire brush. Maybe it's just in my head though.
Nope I think you are correct. I use SS and like it but no more than 2 cleanings.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
the reason i ask, is it seems i am loosing flavor. idk if its me, could be i guess. but i thought "hey, maybe wire wears out, hmmm".
could also be the juice's i am using. idk. figured i'd see what the group thought.

far as cleaning, i have to get mine hot, or the gunk just doesn't come off.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, even after only about a week I start noticing a slight difference, and that is with Ni80 aliens 27/36 at 5 wraps 2.5mm ID dual coil build on the mech. If taken good care of, it still takes at least 2 whole months before these coils are completely worn to the point where they can still be used, but the flavor performance has faded so can expect at least 2 weeks worth of strong performance, whereas SS316L coils are typically 10-12 times less durable so SS316L is more like just a publicity stunt kind of like (excepting of course if you happen to be allergic to nickel or, maybe if you want to waste time fantasizing too much about the usefulness of temperature control, I digress).

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
the reason i ask, is it seems i am loosing flavor. idk if its me, could be i guess. but i thought "hey, maybe wire wears out, hmmm".
could also be the juice's i am using. idk. figured i'd see what the group thought.

far as cleaning, i have to get mine hot, or the gunk just doesn't come off.
When dry burning, I always avoid glowing them too fast (especially when the coils are still gunked up or are wet) so use a low wattage setting or, if using the mech, use a series of short pulses on a half-charged battery i.e. one that would take to be recharged first before you could use it to be able to vape normally on the mech (takes a bit of experience dry burning on the mech so don't try this at home and don't blame Samsung or Greg if you're not comfortable with using the mech :)). Don't go past red-orange and don't use a brush, instead use carbonated water, blow vigorously, dry burn, cool down, carbonated water again and so forth a couple times till all the stubborn soot has been boiled out of the numerous cavities' nooks and crannies that are located between the core wires, and are located underneath the wrap wire surrounding the cores.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
When dry burning, I always avoid glowing them too fast (especially when the coils are still gunked up or are wet) so use a low wattage setting or, if using the mech, use a series of short pulses on a half-charged battery i.e. one that would take to be recharged first before you could use it to be able to vape normally on the mech (takes a bit of experience dry burning on the mech so don't try this at home and don't blame Samsung or Greg if you're not comfortable with using the mech :)). Don't go past red-orange and don't use a brush, instead use carbonated water, blow vigorously, dry burn, cool down, carbonated water again and so forth a couple times till all the stubborn soot has been boiled out of the numerous cavities' nooks and crannies that are located between the core wires, and are located underneath the wrap wire surrounding the cores.

that is basicly how i do it. i do get them to glow, but only for a slit second , and not super hot. i do this untill i see no more chunks'ish.
then i go in the bathroom , heat them and put under lightly running water. do this many times.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that is basicly how i do it. i do get them to glow, but only for a slit second , and not super hot. i do this untill i see no more chunks'ish.
then i go in the bathroom , heat them and put under lightly running water. do this many times.

I just heat mine till almost glow, then dip upside down in a cup of water while the coil is still hot. The boiling action knocks off buildup. Repeat 3-4 times.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Know this will probably sound contrary to advice I give. That aside it is what I recall from metallurgy & welding classes. All metals need some kind of oil to retain their resistance to oxidation and degrading.

The advice I give is to avoid oil based e-juices. I still affirm that oil based juices are a scourge. The alcohol based juices we use though do not help matters from the perspective of metals though.

I think regarding when to change out coils & possibly your socks, ...
Simples .....if it tastes like crap change it
If you’re getting dry hits ...change it
If you're getting leaks.... change it
..., is probably good advice. :)

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I let them glow red-orange for several seconds because else you just have to keep repeating it too many times. As long as they don't go past red-orange and you don't let the whole build deck get insanely hot, it doesn't hurt anything really. But I do rinse the leftover juice out, both before and after the first pulse... think of it as a pre-rinse before starting to actual dry burn. During the first dry burn, depending on how badly gunked up they are (usually not that much), I stop pulsing immediately as soon as I see a red glow at the center of the coils, and then I wait a little, to let the smoldering take care of itself. So just use a bit more patience at first, till they glow like normal again, before continuing with the remainder of the first dry burn. As for letting them cool down before the rinse, I don't let them cool down completely of course, but just enough to avoid giving them a wild temperature shock... you don't want them to brutally suffer from all that metal fatigue.

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I let them glow red-orange for several seconds because else you just have to keep repeating it too many times. As long as they don't go past red-orange and you don't let the whole build deck get insanely hot, it doesn't hurt anything really. But I do rinse the leftover juice out, both before and after the first pulse... think of it as a pre-rinse before starting to actual dry burn. During the first dry burn, depending on how badly gunked up they are (usually not that much), I stop pulsing immediately as soon as I see a red glow at the center of the coils, and then I wait a little, to let the smoldering take care of itself. So just use a bit more patience at first, till they glow like normal again, before continuing with the remainder of the first dry burn. As for letting them cool down before the rinse, I don't let them cool down completely of course, but just enough to avoid giving them a wild temperature shock... you don't want them to brutally suffer from all that metal fatigue.

yeah, thats what i do, pretty much exactly. just now finished do it.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Cheap wire and i get 3 cleanings from a coil b4 its past its prime. Kp wire i get many more than that.

VU Sponsors