Become a Patron!

DO you go off wattage? Temp? or Volts?

Burn

Member For 2 Years
I am getting into making my own coils and I understand the difference between Wattage/Temp/Volts/resistance etc.

But I have no Idea for a better vape if I should be using wattage/temp etc for a "better" vaping experience.

So which way is better to go?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That depends on your wire. Not all wire runs in temp control. Stainless steel, Ni200 which is nickel and titanium run in temp control. I'm not sure people still use titanium though. Stainless steel can also be run in wattage/power mode along with kanthal and nichrome. I only use N80 or stainless steel for my coils. Every now and then kanthal when I use ribbon wire. So in short.
Temp control
Ss
Ni200

Power/wattage mode
Kanthal
Ss
Nichrome. Labeled N80, N90

The difference in N80 and ss versus kanthal is it has a lower ohm which you have to keep in mind when building for the specs of your battery if using a mechanical mod. I'd get yourself a good coil calculator like the Vape tool app for android or Apple. Also steam-engine.org has calculators to help with coils and ohms law calculations.
And last but not least welcome to the Vu

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I work off wattage, can work off voltage, and with PWM it's some percentage representing voltage.

In these cases I can use any SS I care to; any Ni80/Ni90 nichrome, or any Kanthal.

AFAIAC, Temperature Control is a waste of money: it's not worth the investment, any special wires, (like Ti or Ni200).
Yes, if someone gives you a GIFT of a DNA or Yihi mod, sure - by all means give TC a try. It's just not worth the fight.

(Even Evolv's REPLAY is VW-based, rather than TC)

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use Wattage and Temperature to vape. Right now all I do is TC Vaping using SS316L and have the perfect vape for me. Also using an Alien MOD with a Uwell Rafale Tank at 35W/360°F/.5Ω.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because i dont want to carry extra batteries or charger.. I build for run time.... Generally I build to a targeted amp draw rate and a known good for the atty coil MASS/surface area..... Wattage and voltage TBD.

VU Sponsors