Doctor Strange 2: Elizabeth Olsen Discusses Wanda Maximoff's Future in the MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: This article contains spoilers for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

Doctor Strange 2 star Elizabeth Olsen has teased that she could be back in the MCU, despite a violent exit for her character Wanda Maximoff in the new movie.

During an interview with Collider, the actress hinted that the Doctor Strange sequel may not be the last we see of Wanda Maximoff (although it may well be the end of darker alter-ego Scarlet Witch).

“I sign extensions every time they want me to do a movie,” she said about her Marvel contract. “I just signed a very short one at the beginning, so everything's constantly just, it's always adjusting for me. No. I don't think of this either as the end.”

“I don’t know in what capacity I'll be back,” she added, seemingly trying not to give too much away about the movie. “I don't know how to do it without, I don't want spoilers.”

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness stars Olsen as Wanda Maximoff, aka the Scarlet Witch – a powerful sorceress who was last seen in Wandavision, and plays the antagonist in the new Doctor Strange movie.

While the Doctor Strange sequel hints at a more finite end for the former heroine, it looks as though she may well be back yet.

After spending the entire film trying to reunite with her sons Billy and Tommy, she has a change of heart and realizes the evil she’s done with the help of the Darkhold – the ancient, sinister text she found at the conclusion of Wandavision.

It looks as though she sacrifices herself to destroy all copies of the book throughout the multiverse, burying herself and Mount Wundagore in the process.

But if Olsen has her way, that won’t be the end. Olsen seems to want to team up with some familiar heroes from another franchise.

“Someone just said, ‘Because you're bringing in X-Men, Wanda's a part of the X-Men franchise. Why can't Wanda be there too?’ In my mind, I'm like, ‘Yeah. Why can't Wanda be with the X-Men too?’

"I have no idea. I don't know what I want. I know I want it to matter. There's no reason to continue to tell these stories unless they're really strong, good stories, and that they're adding something to the entirety of the MCU. I will be there if there's a great idea.”

Whether or not Wanda Maximoff returns remains to be seen. However, even if she does, it likely won’t be for a while. After all, Marvel’s upcoming slate is already pretty packed, and with no obvious film to cameo within, we might well have to wait for the return of the X-Men before Wanda appears once more.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange, alongside Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch. They’re joined by Chiwetel Ejiofor, Benedict Wong, Rachel McAdams, and Xochitl Gomez. Sam Raimi directed the movie from a script by Michael Waldron, based on characters created by comic book legends, Steve Ditko, and Stan Lee.

We awarded the movie a 7/10 review, saying it's "a Sam Raimi movie from top to bottom, for better and worse."

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors