Doctor Who: Christopher Eccleston Returning as The Ninth Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Christopher Eccleston, as the Ninth Doctor, helped usher in a new era of Doctor Who, though his tenure would be short-lived as the actor would leave the series after only one season of 13 episodes due to a breakdown in his relationship with then-showrunner Russell T Davies. Eccleston also famously turned down the chance to reprise the role on several occasions over the years, including an appearance on the 50th Anniversary show. Now it's been announced that Eccleston will return to the role of the Ninth Doctor after fifteen years, for a new Ninth Doctor audio series from BBC Studios and Big Finish. The series will feature twelve full-cast audio adventures, due to be released across four box sets, starting with volume one in May 2021. “After 15 years it will be exciting to revisit the Ninth Doctor’s world," Eccleston said in a release, "bringing back to life a character I love playing.” [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=the-25-most-essential-doctor-who-episodes&captions=true"] Big Finish’s Chairman, Jason Haigh-Ellery said: “I first talked to Christopher about returning to the role of the Doctor at the Gallifrey One convention in February this year. Christopher said he was enjoying meeting the fans and was pleased that his Doctor was remembered so fondly. He indicated he would be open to discussing a project with Big Finish." “And then the pandemic happened and time moved both quickly and very slowly. Over recent months, ideas have been exchanged and discussions had. I am so pleased that Christopher has decided to return to the role with us – and I'm excited to welcome him to the Big Finish family as we discover the new adventures of the Ninth Doctor.” The four volumes in Doctor Who: The Ninth Doctor Adventures will be released as a 4-disc collector’s edition box set or download containing three brand-new full cast audio adventures, plus a selection of behind-the-scenes extras. Pre-ordering is available now. Other details, including additional guest cast, are not known at this time. [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2020/06/24/doctor-who-virtual-panel-w-david-tennant-matt-smith-and-jodie-whittaker"] [poilib element="accentDivider"] Matt Fowler is a writer for IGN and a member of the Television Critics Association. Follow him on Twitter at @TheMattFowler and Facebook at Facebook.com/MattBFowler.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors