Become a Patron!

does vapes effect the health?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I sure don't want to burn my cotton, or waste the juices I mix with high settings.
Can say for sure you don't want to take a dry "hit". Have done it once or twice. Cotton burning doesn't taste too well.

Using mech mods I usually don't use more than ~ 24 Watts average. If you're using a regulated device it's okay to use higher wattage.

Increased wattage doesn't necessarily increased heat. If you take long draws you might increase the heat. By long I mean 10 seconds or more.

Usually do about 2-5 seconds drawing myself. That doesn't effect how much juice is consumed directly. It does but not as in anything I've measured to say accurately.

I use 4-6 ml of juice per day between 3-5 different mods. At one time I was using only 2 ml per day. I got more gear, got into RDAs. More is used with different gear over tanks.

I still don't feel terribly concerned over my consumption rate. Know quite a few that use 10 - 20 ml of juice a day, and some using more. If you do a bit of DIY then cost isn't much of an issue.

Best place for buying flavors to mix is BCF, bar none. They got decent prices and offer sample bottles of 10 ml to try for less than $3, and 10 ml of flavor can stretch a bit. You might pay a bit more for a 30 ml of flavor but even then BCF still has good prices. Their flavors are top notch quality too.

I like using wire attained from Temco. Usually, I prefer Kanthal . The heat required for leaching of toxins from it is a sustained heat, not a heat as we use when vaping. Yes, you could possibly get some minute leaching if you're not careful doing dry firing.

Even using stainless Steel, or NiChrome requires a sustained heat for leaching. What I'm saying is the risk of toxins is greatly mitigated. Is it still possible a person could get metallurgic toxins from vaping? Yes it is possible.

Is the amount enough to cause serious harm? Maybe cumulatively if a person were to be vaping like they breathe. Most do not vape that way though. Not saying it absolutely could not happen, or absolutely will not cause harm.

Am saying the harm is greatly mitigated to being so minute as to not engage grave concern. Not saying it's trivial but not saying we need to be Chicken Little either. Be aware the possibility is there. The possibility of invisible purple unicorns existing is as well though.

As to the flavorings we tend to use water soluble based ones. This means no oil/s to get into our lungs. If you vape a year like you breathe, you might get the same amount of water/moisture in your lungs as taking a daily shower.

Yes there were/still are a few chemicals we watch out for in flavorings. There's is minimal risk if any of the dreaded and ultra-hyped up "popcorn lung" from vaping. Many of us don't use custard flavors either so as to avoid one of the two, or three chemicals we look out on.

I like using unflavored most of the time. Do add a few drops of flavoring now and then to break up monotony. I vape to use nicotine, enjoy some modest clouds & the over all hobby of vaping.

Again, not saying vaping is absolutely 100% iron clad safe. Do say the risk/s involved with vaping are mitigated to using a bit of common sense, maintaining your gear (inclusive of swapping out coils after some time of use for sanitary reasons as well as general wear). The risk mitigation drew me to vaping away from cigarettes and tobacco. I stayed for the special cookies. :)
I'm not trying to create a panic over the coil metal, I put it in last as it's probably least concern, to actually manage to inhale it is a bit of a stretch as it's a solid, so as you said, minute amounts, probably picograms if anything.

As for flavourings, the biggest concern (provided they are completely unchanged) is probably diacetyl, which is used in custard and butterscotch flavours, however its also used in foods. The whole popcorn lung hysteria from a few years ago seems to be isolated to home made e-liquid which contained more dangerous solvents and flavourings.
Though as I mentioned, pyrolysis can change the structure of a flavouring, while they're food grade and water soluble there's not much information on what happens to them when they're rapidly heated. 100°c seems to be the lowest temp a vape will run at though this can go up to 350°, my mod only has a 230°C setting in temp control mode so I would assume most run at over 200° this could cause some flavourings to break down into harmful compounds, though I don't know what the flavourings are made of and could only hazard guesses at their pyrolysis products if I did.

Honestly the biggest problem I see with vaping isn't health related. It's the disposable vapes and the fact that nowhere does buyback recycling. All of them contain lithium-ion (or lithium iron phosphate) cells that you can recharge. Some are so modular that the cart just pushes onto a pair of pins. A buyback system would be better for people financially as well as not having a bunch of lithium ion cells end up in landfill. However I think the fact that they're rechargeable (and even refillable until the coil burns up) is a little secret the manufacturers like to keep. It seems really wasteful to pack brand new rechargeable cells into something destined for landfill. At least half the price of them has to be in their cells. A "1/8th price buyback" would make more sense as then all that needs done is sterilisation, recharging, replacement of the cart and its good to go again.
Though with that in mind, wait until the less desirable flavours go on sale for lower than the online price of the cells in them and tear them down if you like making things.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Honestly the biggest problem I see with vaping isn't health related. It's the disposable vapes and the fact that nowhere does buyback recycling.

Exactly why I don't use disposables. I use mods that let me use recharge-able lithium batteries. More below.

All of them contain lithium-ion (or lithium iron phosphate) cells that you can recharge. Some are so modular that the cart just pushes onto a pair of pins. A buyback system would be better for people financially as well as not having a bunch of lithium ion cells end up in landfill. However I think the fact that they're rechargeable (and even refillable until the coil burns up) is a little secret the manufacturers like to keep. It seems really wasteful to pack brand new rechargeable cells into something destined for landfill.

Been asking on this forum for industry leaders to start offering consumers some kind of free recycling program/s. I got old worn out batteries & no real place to take them for recycling. 40 miles away to run to a Lowe's or Home Depot and well that's just not happening, not when you have to pay them to take them. Wal-Mart once did but stopped that.

So, I think it falls to manufacturers, sales and vaping industry types as part of social responsibility. They ought to help their customer base be responsible for recycling. I'd be happy to get a free "new" battery if i send the manufacturer say 5 old ones. Might even see paying shipping.

To date though, no one is really acting vanguard. I feel kind of crappy thinking the batteries would just landfill. What other choice is there? I rather be responsible, care for our environment.

In a way, a bit surprised CASAA hasn't rallied to get the industry to help customers. It was done for childproof juice caps before any legislation ever was heard of in any country.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As per batteries, I only use ones I can take out and recharge. I know that not taking care of them can affect my health... when they might catch fire. That has not happened to me, nor anyone I know personally. I do know what happens when a lithium ion battery leaks or overheats. I have seen videos. I have shot a cellphone with a break-barrel pellet rifle. I didn't want to waste valuable ammo.

None of my batteries have become worn out yet, after years of use. Maybe I'm lucky. I guess when any do wear out, I just might use them for target practice, in a safe area. Out where I live, there is no recycling for them, pay or not. And, I won't pay to ship them somewhere where I have to pay someone to accept them.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As per batteries, I only use ones I can take out and recharge. I know that not taking care of them can affect my health... when they might catch fire. That has not happened to me, nor anyone I know personally. I do know what happens when a lithium ion battery leaks or overheats. I have seen videos. I have shot a cellphone with a break-barrel pellet rifle. I didn't want to waste valuable ammo.

None of my batteries have become worn out yet, after years of use. Maybe I'm lucky. I guess when any do wear out, I just might use them for target practice, in a safe area. Out where I live, there is no recycling for them, pay or not. And, I won't pay to ship them somewhere where I have to pay someone to accept them.

Have had a few get really hot on me in mods. Being I was using mechanical mods removing a battery cap at least stopped a full thermal meltdown/explosion. Also took the hot batteries outside and left them to cool or explode in a safe place. None have actually exploded/vented/leaked on me yet.

I figure the ones that have gotten hot are due to "end of cycle" on that battery. No, I don't keep spreadsheets charting say 200 times out of 300 I've recharged. Know I might ought to so as to be safer but will stick with dumb luck. I'm safe with batteries otherwise. Have learned to tell when one gets to having about 20% of charge left.

Time to recharge then. Got told keeping that "headspace" of 20% kept the batteries from wearing out so quick, so bad. Don't know if it does but it's a caution I try to mind. Also never toss batteries in my pockets unless they're cased, and even then no other conductive things go into a pocket with a battery.

Think I'm about like you really as far as having to pay for someone to recycle them. Yes, I might see paying a flat rate to ship them, say $7/8 to send a small container of them. But no, don't want to pay to have someone "intake" them. To me that's akin to paid rescue squads. You're not going to save a life if the patient cannot pay? Nah, fuck that I'd be saving somebody paid or not.

Ah, guess I'm messed up in the head though. I don't "think right", or so I'm told. *chuckles* Reckon I'll stay wrong if that way is right.

Exactly why I don't use disposables. I use mods that let me use recharge-able lithium batteries. More below.

Been asking on this forum for industry leaders to start offering consumers some kind of free recycling program/s. I got old worn out batteries & no real place to take them for recycling. 40 miles away to run to a Lowe's or Home Depot and well that's just not happening, not when you have to pay them to take them. Wal-Mart once did but stopped that.

So, I think it falls to manufacturers, sales and vaping industry types as part of social responsibility. They ought to help their customer base be responsible for recycling. I'd be happy to get a free "new" battery if i send the manufacturer say 5 old ones. Might even see paying shipping.

To date though, no one is really acting vanguard. I feel kind of crappy thinking the batteries would just landfill. What other choice is there? I rather be responsible, care for our environment.

In a way, a bit surprised CASAA hasn't rallied to get the industry to help customers. It was done for childproof juice caps before any legislation ever was heard of in any country.
Yeah recycling programs are definitely necessary and not at all impossible.
I remember going to Denmark to visit family about 20 years ago. They had a bottle buyback program in every supermarket. It wasn't some low tech "Hand over bottles for money" program either. My memory is a bit vague as it was a long time ago but as I recall you scanned the barcode of each bottle, placed it on a conveyor belt which acted like the ones in an airport (basically weighing then moving it one direction and then 90° in the other direction, I assume it even sorted bottles by colour of glass, it was extremely high tech for the early 2000s. Once you were fnished you pushed a button on (I think) a touchscreen and then a receipt was printed with a Danish Kroner voucher on it. You got about $0.15 per bottle.
So printing a QR code on disposable vapes and having an even simpler system where you scan the code then put it through a vending machine like 'coin' slot would be totally possible.
For lithium ion cells you could scan a code, be given a protective case for the cell through the bottom of the machine then drop the cell in.

Obviously bottles don't burst into flames if mishandled and the behaviour of the public in early 2000s Denmark was very much "Don't break the machine like an idiot for laughs, it helps everyone" so if the sleeves for bare cells were 'square' (some sort of cuboid) have some sort of barcode on each surface or an NFC system you'd avoid people trying to vandalise return systems.

Never seen a coil go green,,,,
The ones I got with my Zeus-X RTA definitely went green. I'm pretty sure I removed the coils with the cotton still in them so I'll look tomorrow and see if I kept them in a drawer somewhere and snap a pic. They definitely went a greenish colour though. The cheap Amazon coil kit I have has coils that go brownish. I've no idea what they're made of however. Nichrome or Kanthal I assume. Toxic metals however are a bit of a stretch I'll admit. Maybe if you're buying coils/wire from an unreliable vendor who might put any metal in them (such as lead or thorium) but I've never seen any reports of this so it's entirely speculative and a huge reach. If I can find a cheap geiger counter (which I already want to so I can test my 'magical' negative ion 'massage pen' which have been known to be filled with thoria I might test coils.
Though radioactive coils are literally of the least concern, you're probably at more risk if you inhale from a vape with a cold-sore and the drop tip uas some nasty bacteria on it.
The idea of coils being radioactive is so out there that I wouldn't call it a risk at all, I'm just mentioning it as its something I would like to test personally and expect to get a "no, they are the same as every other transition metal alloy" result. So if you're reading this, don't be worried, I'm just being overly curious with no scientific backing.

Vape4change

Unlisted Vendor
When compared to smoking, vaping has no significant negative health effects. However, it is still advised to use it sparingly and to avoid nicotine-containing products if possible.

There is a lot of information nowadays about vaping and its effect on health. Of course, there is no positive effect, but for me, it's still better than smoking cigarettes

Last edited:
Are you a long-time smoker and currently switching to vape? Or just want to try something new? If you are the first one, then all I can say vaping is way safer than traditional cigarettes.

VU Sponsors