Become a Patron!

Don't know the ohms

Wasim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi I don't have an ohms reader. Recently I have made a coil with presumably a 35 or 36 gauge (presumably cause it didn't have any label the shop owner told me that) heat resistant SS wire with 8 wraps on a james clip which has rubber cover over it (meaning slightly thicker than average james clip) and rebuilt my CE5 clearomizer. It vapes great but do you have any idea how much resistance it has ? thanks

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not to yell, but I always type this phrase in all caps - YOU NEED TO HAVE A MEANS OF READING YOUR COIL'S RESISTANCE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO VAPE IT. Ohm readers are cheap, and if you've got a multimeter you can use that too. 35 or 36 gauge is super thin for building normal coils, that's normally only used to Clapton around a heavier-gauge wire...I'd check back with your shop owner, and post some pics if you can so we can comment further and maybe help you out...

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How to go from awesome to us laughing at you when you go up in a flash of battery acid and flames in 1 easy step.

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2.5 ohms at 6 wraps of 35G SS316L. 36G would be up around 3 ohms. A guessing game is not a fun game to play! CHEERS!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you bought that wire from a shop and they didn't tell you to get/use an ohm meter....

Then that shop is dumb as fuck. I would never return. For shit sake, they don't even know what they are selling? Total nit wits.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you bought that wire from a shop and they didn't tell you to get/use an ohm meter....

Then that shop is dumb as fuck. I would never return. For shit sake, they don't even know what they are selling? Total nit wits.
And rebuilt the cheapest atty known to the market.

So much fail in the op's post.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi I don't have an ohms reader. Recently I have made a coil with presumably a 35 or 36 gauge (presumably cause it didn't have any label the shop owner told me that) heat resistant SS wire with 8 wraps on a james clip which has rubber cover over it (meaning slightly thicker than average james clip) and rebuilt my CE5 clearomizer. It vapes great but do you have any idea how much resistance it has ? thanks
Are you using a mech? If using a VW mod it should read resistance in the dislpay...if indeed your using a mech, as others have stated, get a ohmneter and learn ohms law..vaping safe means knowing the resistance of your build, BEFORE you ever try to vape it..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Everybody has to start somewhere. If you are using a CE5 then it's probably with an Ego style battery that has minimal protection. Not something you want to have a dead short with or a resistance outside of it's capabilities. Without a regulated device with short protection and a display for ohm's a dedicated ohm reader (preferable) or a multi-meter is a must if you are going to experiment with coil building.

Wasim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Trying to send the pic...will do...No I'm not from US... actually I read somewhere that i
1 inch= 2.54 cm 35 gauge wire gives 2.3 ohms...so since my 8 wraps makes something like +- 4 cm so it should provide resistance of 2.6 + ohms....but then again trying to get a multimeter and will let u know..

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you do use a multimeter remember to measure the resistance inherent in the leads by touching the tips together then subtracting that reading from the reading you get checking the CE5. This will give you the resistance of the coil.

Wasim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you have a drill bit or a micro screwdriver you can shove in that coil to estimate the inner diameter? Or you can flip the coil over onto its side and use that ruler to estimate it.

http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.asp

Thanks a lot...that was really helpful...

@OBDave ... I overlooked this aspect...appreciated... but then oh well let me read some more..and then I'll get back...Cheers...

VU Sponsors