Dr. Disrespect Says He's Suing Twitch Over Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Guy Beahm, better known as Dr. Disrespect, was permanently banned from Twitch last June. Now, the streamer is suing Twitch over it.

Dr. Disrespect announced the news on his YouTube channel yesterday, according to Dot Esports, and said the reason he's suing the company is because of why he was banned.

He didn't quite reveal exactly why he was banned, and Twitch doesn't usually publicize its reasoning for bans like this, but he said "there's a reason why we're suing the f**k out of them."

"I can't talk about it, but a lot of people ask me, 'do you know the reason?' Yeah, I do know the reason why now," Dr. Disrespect said. "I've known for months now the reason why and I'll just say this right now champs, 'there's a reason why we're suing the f**k out of them.' I don't know how else to put it. The amount of damages and you just don't — nah, no, no."

Dr. Disrespect seems to become frustrated in talking about this in the video, which is why he seemingly cuts himself off before saying more. He also said that a year later, despite what people might think, he's making "a fourth, a quarter” of what he made on Twitch.

"The Twitch ban has really, really affected us not just from a financial standpoint but from a networking standpoint," he said on YouTube. "From all the relationships we built over the past five years in terms of Activision and EA, all the big sponsors and partnerships, they have to question, 'why did you get banned?'"

He continued and said "whether it's obvious or not, [the] blacklisting and shadowbanning" of him is happening.

"As well as you think we're doing and again, I think we're doing well enough, it's been extremely disheartening and it's been a rollercoaster of emotions and it f**king sucks," Dr. Disrespect said.

Dot Esports notes that at the time of Dr. Disrespect's permanent ban on Twitch, he had more than 23,000 subscribers and averaged just as many viewers as well. IGN reached out to Twitch at the time of his ban but the company did not comment specifically on the situation, instead opting to provide the following general statement:

"As is our process, we take appropriate action when we have evidence that a streamer has acted in violation of our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service. These apply to all streamers regardless of status or prominence in the community."

Despite Dr. Disrespect stating he personally knows the reason why he was banned, that information is still not available to the public. However, the reasoning could come out in court, although that's not guaranteed.

Catch up on Dr. Disrespect's permanent ban that occurred last year and then read about how he won't be returning to Twitch and is "not interested" in an exclusive partnership. In other news about the streamer, Dr. Disrespect revealed last week that he's starting up a new game studio.

Wesley LeBlanc is a freelance news writer and guide maker for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @LeBlancWes.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors