Become a Patron!

Drambuie...

flippantremark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like a wee glass of dram now and then... or two.

So I thought I'd have a go at mixing up a Drambuie based juice.

Here's my first attempt:

FA Whisky - 3%
FA Oakwood - 1.5%
FA Honey - .5%
FA Cinnamon - .5%
FA Bergamot - .5%

It's not bad. I think the Whisky is strong enough. The Oakwood turns it into barrel aged scotch. I started easy on the Honey but think it could be a bit stronger. Drambuie is pretty sweet. The Cinnamon and Bergamot are my attempt at Drambuie's secret herb spice mix but are not quite there.

Has anyone else had a go at this?

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I a wee glass of dram now and then... or two.

Here's my first attempt:

FA Whisky - 3%
FA Oakwood - 1.5%
FA Honey - .5%
FA Cinnamon - .5%
FA Bergamot - .5%

It's not bad. I think the Whisky is strong enough. The Oakwood turns it into barrel aged scotch. I started easy on the Honey but think it could be a bit stronger. Drambuie is pretty sweet. The Cinnamon and Bergamot are my attempt at Drambuie's secret herb spice mix but are not quite there.

Brilliant...this is the type of direction my mixing goes...

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like a wee glass of dram now and then... or two.

Here's my first attempt:

FA Whisky - 3%
FA Oakwood - 1.5%
FA Honey - .5%
FA Cinnamon - .5%
FA Bergamot - .5%

I haven't, no, but I've tasted Drambuie, and you're right, it's pretty sweet. I used to enjoy drinking B&B, and something about it reminded me of Drambuie, though I'm not sure what -- maybe just the sweetness and 80-proof "vaporization" off your tongue. I wonder if there's a "brandy" flavoring that might be helpful for this one. And maybe even add a bit of actual sweetener. Honey flavoring, as I understand it, is just the flavor of honey, but not an actual sweetener.

Andria

kh1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
B&B is brandy and Benedictine, very good, but straight Benedictine on the rocks is divine! :vino:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
B&B is brandy and Benedictine, very good, but straight Benedictine on the rocks is divine! :vino:

It wasn't potent enough for me. :D B&B gives a bad enough hangover, straight Benedictine would have been even worse! :giggle:

Andria

flippantremark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Drambuie is a scotch based liquor. Basically it is Scotch, Honey, Herbs and Spices.

From the interwebs:

"The recipe has never been revealed, but a few things are known. The Scotch is sweetened with heather honey and then flavored with herbs and spices. Those herbs and spices are a closely guarded secret, but over the years, Drambuie fans have made a hobby of trying to guess them. Common suggestions are saffron, anise, nutmeg, and cinnamon, but we’ll probably never know."

I agree, FA Brandy is very authentic. But probably not what we're after here. In my opinion, FA Whisky and FA Oakwood in a 2:1 ratio make for a good scotch whisky base, so we've got that covered.

The Honey flavor is there. But it could be sweeter. I could up the honey, but that might overwhelm the other flavors. So maybe some straight sweetener like TFA Brown Sugar. Though too sweet and it might not be all-dayable. Drambuie is not the kind of drink you make a big night out of :)

The herbs and spices are the tricky part. I've been thinking of getting some FA Anise or TFA Holiday Spice...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Drambuie is a scotch based liquor. Basically it is Scotch, Honey, Herbs and Spices.

From the interwebs:

"The recipe has never been revealed, but a few things are known. The Scotch is sweetened with heather honey and then flavored with herbs and spices. Those herbs and spices are a closely guarded secret, but over the years, Drambuie fans have made a hobby of trying to guess them. Common suggestions are saffron, anise, nutmeg, and cinnamon, but we’ll probably never know."

I agree, FA Brandy is very authentic. But probably not what we're after here. In my opinion, FA Whisky and FA Oakwood in a 2:1 ratio make for a good scotch whisky base, so we've got that covered.

The Honey flavor is there. But it could be sweeter. I could up the honey, but that might overwhelm the other flavors. So maybe some straight sweetener like TFA Brown Sugar. Though too sweet and it might not be all-dayable. Drambuie is not the kind of drink you make a big night out of :)

The herbs and spices are the tricky part. I've been thinking of getting some FA Anise or TFA Holiday Spice...

The TFa brown sugar is not a sweetener either; it's just the *flavor* of brown sugar... if you want actual sweetness, you need somethuing like TFA Sweetener, just a tiny bit -- start maybe at .5%, see if that's sweet enough.

Andria

ETA: I don't think there's any anise. I can usually detect even the tiniest bit of that flavor, because I cannot abide it whatsoever, it's just foul to me... but I thought Drambuie was pretty good.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

From the interwebs:

yeah I've heard ..rosemary pretty common herb, but I haven't found a rosemary flavoring that isn't an oil....nutmeg as well...again I haven't found a flavoring for nutmeg that isn't an oil...anise,cinnamon,and clove are all flavors that can be got in most places.....the herbs are gonna be tricker....

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yeah I've heard ..rosemary pretty common herb, but I haven't found a rosemary flavoring that isn't an oil....nutmeg as well....

Using the same simple method as I do for my NET's, I've made flavoring from the fresh mint in my garden. While it does not have the flavor strength of a concentrate; substituting more of it with the plain PG used in a recipe worked out fine for me.

While I have no idea if using rosemary or nutmeg may be contrary to good vaping safety, it may be worth a shot. Just an idea...

Ron
---
"When life hands you lemons, make whisky sours."- W. C. Fields

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Using the same simple method as I do for my NET's, I've made flavoring from the fresh mint in my garden. While it does not have the flavor strength of a concentrate; substituting more of it with the plain PG used in a recipe worked out fine for me.

While I have no idea if using rosemary or nutmeg may be contrary to good vaping safety, it may be worth a shot. Just an idea...

Ron
---
"When life hands you lemons, make whisky sours."- W. C. Fields
because the volitale oils are not safe to vape.....that is why they aren't used in e-liquids....you know it's hard to tell what would happen, but I suspect you'd extract volitale oils in a maceration.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
because the volitale oils are not safe to vape.....that is why they aren't used in e-liquids....you know it's hard to tell what would happen, but I suspect you'd extract volitale oils in a maceration.

Thanks for that information!

I also suspect my simple filtering extraction method would not remove any dangerous oils. Coffee filters can only do so much. :)

Ron
---
"The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you."- B. B. King

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmmm, I have never had the pleasure to taste the actual drink. Imho though I've never had good luck with sweeteners. Actual sweet flavors have actually worked much better for me.

My first thought is TFA Kentucky Bourbon is much sweeter than FA Whiskey, so it may be a much better fit. I know I use KY Bourbon way more than FA Whiskey.

Bergamot is quite strong and bitter. You might try cutting it to .25% and perhaps so it is less bitter. I would try upping the honey if this article below is true..

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...de-drambuie-scotch-honey-liqueur-project.html

As far as the secret herbs and spices go, check this out... http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ake-your-own-honey-scotch-liqueur-recipe.html

http://www.vaperstek.org/shisha-flavours/ they have rosemary.

Wishing u luck.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Inawera makes a flavor called "shisha rosemary", but I can't think what rosemary has to do with Drambuie.

Andria

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Inawera makes a flavor called "shisha rosemary", but I can't think what rosemary has to do with Drambuie.

Andria
No personal experience with Drambuie here :(. The above link was a recipe for homade Drambuie...calling for honey, rosemary, and fennel seed. And I may be totally off here, but when I smell the fennel seed spice it seems to have a hint of smelling a bit like anise?

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah I've heard ..rosemary pretty common herb, but I haven't found a rosemary flavoring that isn't an oil....nutmeg as well...again I haven't found a flavoring for nutmeg that isn't an oil...anise,cinnamon,and clove are all flavors that can be got in most places.....the herbs are gonna be tricker....
TFA Holiday Spice is nutmeg.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No personal experience with Drambuie here :(. The above link was a recipe for homade Drambuie...calling for honey, rosemary, and fennel seed. And I may be totally off here, but when I smell the fennel seed spice it seems to have a hint of smelling a bit like anise?

I dunno... it's been many, many years since I tasted Drambuie, but I don't remember any anise taste to it, a taste I LOATHE. Cinnamon, maybe, I could kinda see that. But rosemary and anise both seem too.. I dunno... evergreen? for Drambuie.

Andria

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the flavors are similar...fennel, anise, licorice.....anise is brighter, licorice has a woodsy undertone,fennel sort of a herbal undertone....anise and licorice in candys...

Last edited:

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking at that I'm not sure if it has volitale oils in it or not and what the main flavor is nutmeg or clove.....have you tried it?
Yes the Holiday Spice is nutmeg and very potent. I taste nothing other than nutmeg. I don't believe any oils are in it. TFA Pumpkin Spice is a clove flavor.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dunno... it's been many, many years since I tasted Drambuie, but I don't remember any anise taste to it, a taste I LOATHE. Cinnamon, maybe, I could kinda see that. But rosemary and anise both seem too.. I dunno... evergreen? for Drambuie.

Andria
Well, I could definitely do without a rosemary infused scotch. Rosemary is definitely herby and fennel a bit sweet. In any case I will try this recipe out of curiosity. I wonder how .75% honey would be in it.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I could definitely do without a rosemary infused scotch. Rosemary is definitely herby and fennel a bit sweet. In any case I will try this recipe out of curiosity. I wonder how .75% honey would be in it.
I think rosemary would work good in scotch but only in a small amount...it's funny rosemary is a potent flavor ,but the people that like it use it real heavily...the only time I use it heavily is with lamb because lamb has a heavy gaminess to cut through.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
yeah as I remember the primary flavors of Drambue were scotch and honey,and it being very sweet...I could see nutmeg...being in there.

flippantremark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replies guys. After a few days vaping this for a few days I would definitely up the honey. The whisky has started to get a lead after 4 days steep. I think it's a recipe worth pursuing, a bunch of my vaping buddies have tried it have have been impressed

As for the spices. I'm pretty much going from memory. It's been a few months since I last had a bottle of Drambuie to try.
There was definitely something cinnamonny or nutmeggy and something sour and bitter...

I'll have to get another bottle. For research purposes of course :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the replies guys. After a few days vaping this for a few days I would definitely up the honey. The whisky has started to get a lead after 4 days steep. I think it's a recipe worth pursuing, a bunch of my vaping buddies have tried it have have been impressed

As for the spices. I'm pretty much going from memory. It's been a few months since I last had a bottle of Drambuie to try.
There was definitely something cinnamonny or nutmeggy and something sour and bitter...

I'll have to get another bottle. For research purposes of course :)

Of course. ;) It's kinda making me wish I still drank, it's been at least 35 yrs since I tasted any... and 24.5 yrs since I tasted alcohol of ANY kind. :giggle:

Andria

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
.. and 24.5 yrs since I tasted alcohol of ANY kind. :giggle:

Heck, it's been around 24.5 hours for me! :eek:
pic19357.jpg

:cheers:

I've used at least a dozen different honeys to make mead and the differences in the various honey flavors can be very large. While I've never had the opportunity to use honey from Scotland, I have enjoyed a sip or three of Moniack mead. ( https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/moniack-mead/36142/ ) The honey flavor of that mead to me closely resembles the honey notes in Drambuie.

I'm thinking the already mentioned herb & spice additions to this mix may be to adjust the flavor of the local honey than any actual direct additions Drambuie separately does. Tasting the real honey Drambuie uses (before any scotch addition) could help narrow what to put in a juice mix. Doing so might be easier for the VU members in the UK. :)

Ron
---
"Don't drink the water, drink beer"-- Saint Arnold of Metz (b. 580 AD, d. 640)

netweight

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I believe Real Flavors has a Nutmeg for sale under their Beta category. If it doesn't work for this you can always use it for an eggnog.

http://www.realflavors.com/shop/nutmeg-super-concentrate-beta-lab/

VU Sponsors